Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-07-2013, 11:01   #16

Re: Anyone Know Why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is a bit of a safety reason with sitting on the starboard side while steering. When steering from the starboard side, a hard turn to starboard requires the steerer to lean into the boat, thus shifting their weight toward the "high" side of the boat. And a hard turn to port requires the steerer to lean away from the boat, again shifting their weight toward the "high" side of the boat.

Steered from the port side, the operator is always shifting their weight in the more dangerous direction.

Mark
If we are talking small outboard powered boats, if the helmsman changes side, so does the "high" side of the boat.

Old 31-07-2013, 11:13   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
I figure it's just more government stupidity, like standardizing bicycle front brakes on the left, the opposite of motorcycles, and worse, making motorcycles shift on the left, contrary to all that is right and proper.
Stop riding all those old Beezer's and Triumphs and Norton's. All real bikes shift on the left.

Old 31-07-2013, 12:38   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If we are talking small outboard powered boats, if the helmsman changes side, so does the "high" side of the boat.
Yes, but having the tiller close to the helmsman doesn't require the shifting of their weight or positioning of the body inside the boat. For one direction of turn, it actually moves the body position outside the boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Stop riding all those old Beezer's and Triumphs and Norton's. All real bikes shift on the left.
Is it okay if I ride my '72 XLCH?

Back to our subject, twisting the throttle with my left hand just seems wrong. And it's not convenient for pull-starting either. Only the government can mess things up this badly.
Old 31-07-2013, 14:49   #20

Boat: Switch 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Only the government can mess things up this badly.
Why do you keep saying that? I think the govt f's up everything it touches but does it dictate how bikes throttle, brake and shift - or is that just tradition?
Old 31-07-2013, 15:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Why do you keep saying that? I think the govt f's up everything it touches but does it dictate how bikes throttle, brake and shift - or is that just tradition?
Motorcycle tradition was throttle on the right, front brake on the right, with shift mostly on the right, but not always. That's because most all oval tracks turn left. You need to shift, but you don't need a rear brake when racing.

Then along came Joan Claybrook with her uninvited federal regulation to save us from our personal choices, putting the shift on the left, as the popular Japanese bikes had at the time, and bicycle rear brakes on the right handlebar and front brakes on the left, to cross-up and confuse us when we go mountain biking.

It's easy enough to swap brakes on a bicycle, and I have my bike set up with the front brake on the right. But sometimes I'll forget to tell a friend when I loan out my bike, and ...
Old 31-07-2013, 15:40   #22
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't believe the tiller position has anything to With regs.

I always sit on the side of the tiller. In any sort of rib sitting on the other side would make it impossible to turn , requiring me to get up off the rib to do so

Hence I sit on the port side and as I'm right handed like the majority the tiller is correctly positioned , this I beleive is the reason for its placement

Dave
Old 31-07-2013, 15:43   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Guys, you are over thinking this a mile.

Show me a left hand drive bass boat. Show me a left hand drive crab boat.

Boats are right hand drive. Get over it.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:57   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don't believe the tiller position has anything to With regs.

I always sit on the side of the tiller. In any sort of rib sitting on the other side would make it impossible to turn , requiring me to get up off the rib to do so

Hence I sit on the port side and as I'm right handed like the majority the tiller is correctly positioned , this I beleive is the reason for its placement

Dave
Sorry, but "impossible to turn" when sitting on the starboard side? Either you have an amazingly wide RIB or very short arms.

On our old 3.5m rib, if I sat on the same side the tiller is mounted - port - I wouldn't be able to turn to starboard, because the tiller would be jammed into my legs. So I had to sit to starboard, which as I said, meant having my back to any "stand on" vessels.

My new RIB actually has a "driver's seat", but using the tiller left-handed still lets me sit closer to centre and makes steering easier.

I think as some have said, the tiller position may be a carry over from bigger outboards, where operators do sit facing forwards and on the right - which puts them in a potentially better position to see stand on vessels.
Old 31-07-2013, 16:57   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So I had to sit to starboard, which as I said, meant having my back to any "stand on" vessels.
In our dinghy, I consider every vessel on the water a "stand on" vessel.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 01-08-2013, 00:30   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Even other dinghies?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Especially other dinghies - I particularly have no trust in them paying attention because there is a good chance they are drunk, carrying loads blocking their view, arguing with their spouse/kids, looking at the boats in the harbor, looking at the girls on the beach, etc.

At 15kts on an immanently controllable platform, it is easy for me to give way to everything. And the whole right of way thing on a dinghy tees me off - I have had yahoos in dinghies screaming right of way to me while I am anchoring the big boat and coming through reef cuts.

Mark

Old 01-08-2013, 10:43   #28

Quote:
Yes, but having the tiller close to the helmsman doesn't require the shifting of their weight or positioning of the body inside the boat. For one direction of turn, it actually moves the body position outside the boat.

Mark
But that is "because" the tiller is on the port side. It's not "why" the tiller is on the port side.

If you put the tiller on the starboard side and sat on the port side, your "safety" concern goes away. The question was WHY is it that the helmsman sits to starboard.

And the answer is older narrow power boats compensating for prop torque due to the typical rotational direction of motors.

Of course, you could ask the follow up of why motors typically turn in a paticular direction?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was only addressing where the helmsman sits in relation to the tiller - not the tiller position itself. Previous posts described sitting on the port side with a port tiller, and I gave rationale for sitting on the starboard side.

Mark

Old 01-08-2013, 16:13   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Especially other dinghies - I particularly have no trust in them paying attention because there is a good chance they are drunk, carrying loads blocking their view, arguing with their spouse/kids, looking at the boats in the harbor, looking at the girls on the beach, etc.

At 15kts on an immanently controllable platform, it is easy for me to give way to everything. And the whole right of way thing on a dinghy tees me off - I have had yahoos in dinghies screaming right of way to me while I am anchoring the big boat and coming through reef cuts.

Mark
My real question was about why the "expected" seating arrangement makes it harder to see the boats you actually HAVE to give way to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: