Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2013, 12:04   #16

Re: Anyone Come Up With A Clever Way To Pick Up A Mooring Rope On A Rough Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
"on a rough day" - I guess 2 bloody sentences is beyond some peoples attention span.
No, the same applies "on a rough day." At least, unless we're talking about moorings that are completely exposed to the open sea, and I've never seen one like that.

So on a rough day the boat is bobbing up and down some. The same applies. Coast up, stop, reach down and hook the pendant, thread your bowline through it. Voila! You're done.

I still don't understand, even "on a rough day," how it is that you're mashing fingers and breaking boathooks. Once again, if this isn't beyond YOUR attention span, some more details about exactly what sort of problem you are having would help considerably in getting useful answers.

Old 29-01-2013, 12:18   #17
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Some mooring balls in FL have no rope at all and you must feed a line through a shackle on top of the ball. This can be very tricky in rough weather, but thats how it goes. And not all mooring fields are sheltered from all or any direction.

Old 29-01-2013, 12:19   #18

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the East Coast of the USA.
Boat: Contest 48

Most of the moorings at Catalina Island, off the coast of Southern California, have poles on floats - something like a short MOB pole (without a flag) - that live next to the mooring itself. The end of the weighted pole is attached to the mooring pennant by a short, light line. It makes a very easy target, is easy to see from the cockpit and tall enough so that even a boat with high freeboard can grab the pole without bending over. I've never picked one up single-handed but I've seen it done quite handily.

When a boat is moored, most people just lay the pole so it's point is out over the bow pulpit or some just lay it on deck. Some will leave it in the water but it can bang against the hull.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:20   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

im just bitching mostly, mashing my fingers cos im a klutz, but if you want details, southerly gusting to 40-50, relatively exposed shallow bay with 1.5 metre chop, high deck and single handed. Most people anchor and wait for it to calm down but im pigheaded. Dont get to do much 'coasting' on those sort of days.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:22   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
"on a rough day" - I guess 2 bloody sentences is beyond some peoples attention span.
Then again, he probably can pick up his own mooring .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Some mooring balls in FL have no rope at all and you must feed a line through a shackle on top of the ball. This can be very tricky in rough weather, but thats how it goes. And not all mooring fields are sheltered from all or any direction.
Well, I've never seen a mooring field that wasn't sheltered in SOME way. What's the point of a mooring field if it is completely exposed?

Still, if they only have a shackle on top of the ball, then I can see how that might be difficult to make use of. I've never seen a mooring like that myself. The ones I've used have always had some sort of a pendant attached.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:16   #22
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Some public fields have issue with pennant theft. I guess your knowledge of mooring fields is not as great as you assumed.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's actually pretty easy on a cat. You have two engines to help manouvering, and around a 20foot wide platform at the bow to work from.

I don't think we've ever failed to pick up a mooring on the first attempt.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:34   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I don't think we've ever failed to pick up a mooring on the first attempt.
The gods are reading that .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 16:48   #25

I back up, like Daddle, in flat water and high winds, provided the boat is up to it (and most modern boats I've sailed on have been);

In strong winds and a chop or a swell, I do it like Richard5 in post #2, except from the boarding platform rather than the cockpit, with a maxi-snapshackle on the end of the line, which runs outside everything to the bow roller, and then back to either the windlass or right back to a primary winch.

In the latter situation I would do it under sail, by heaving to well upwind of the mooring, and adjusting the angle of drift to bring the transom shaving close past the mooring buoy.

In really bad circumstances I have a dinghy grapple anchor which I store with close-fitting rubber caps on the sharp points, so it doubles as a throwing grapple.
That's how NZ's Fiordland fishermen capture their mooring when it's blowing hard, in the tough boltholes in that area, and further south.

I'd use that either from the cockpit or the swim platform, unless fully crewed and under power:

In that case I'd stand on the windward bow, back a bit from the forestay* to be able to get an unimpeded swing if the helm mucked up the approach. They should aim to leeward of the buoy, partly so they can still see it, and so I can stand in one place regardless of how well or badly they judge it. (It may not be their fault: there may be a williwaw from an unexpected quarter, too late to correct for)

*(not too close to the inner forestay)

I have limited enthusiasm for catching buoys on my prop ...

and unlimited enthusiasm for putting a bit more thought and effort into refining methods which do not rely on technology, eg engines, against the day when technology takes a little holiday.
Old 30-01-2013, 06:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Some public fields have issue with pennant theft. I guess your knowledge of mooring fields is not as great as you assumed.
Wow. Did I hit a sensitive nerve, or something? Hurt your feelings, maybe? Didn't really expect such a snarky response.

I never said I had any great knowledge of mooring fields. I only mentioned what my personal experience has been. In fact, the only thing I've said over and over is that if the OP would have provided a few more details about exactly what sort of problem he was having, he would have gotten more useful answers.
Old 30-01-2013, 09:18   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

[QUOTE=denverd0n;1143621]Wow. Did I hit a sensitive nerve, or something? Hurt your feelings, maybe? Didn't really expect such a snarky response.

[/QUOTE

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 16:55   #28

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

When in the Maldives, single handed, I would have never succeeded picking up a mooring in strong current and windy conditions without doing so from the cockpit. The controlling force in this situation was the current estimated at least 3 knots. I approached directly into the current governing boat speed so my position in the cockpit would be abreast the mooring at near zero knots s.o.g.. With wind off either side of the boat I'd approach to windward of the mooring and into the current. My Norsea's low freeboard greatly facilitates this maneuver, making it relatively easy to grab the mooring.

armido
Old 10-03-2013, 17:05   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

in coronado, when it was windy it was nasty as hell....i used a pick up buoy. made all the difference.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 17:11   #30

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sure...pretend the buoy it's a bull, and lassau it! Mauritz

Tags
mooring, rope

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: