Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Another Stupid Rescue

Naked Boaters Rescued During Atlantic Crossing | Cruising Compass

Third attempt at crossing the Atlantic naked in a pedalo. WTF???

These types of stunts should be left to suffer their fates and not rescued. Maybe take movies of them coming to their ends and post them as warnings for other idiots.

For those of you who do not know what a pedalo is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedalo-2main.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	37140  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53   #2

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: Another stupid rescue

Absolute lunacy & they are going to try again as well.

They should have to pay for their own rescue - no, I agree with you they shouldn't be rescued at all as they are being totally irresponsible.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:55   #3

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Based on the guys story...I may buy one as a manually propelled lifeboat.. (plus a case of suncreen)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:03   #4

Boat: Mason 43

Seat belts and helmet laws have only increased bad drivers, these types of recuse only interfere with genetic cleansing.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:28   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Naked Boaters Rescued During Atlantic Crossing | Cruising Compass

Third attempt at crossing the Atlantic naked in a pedalo. WTF???

These types of stunts should be left to suffer their fates and not rescued. Maybe take movies of them coming to their ends and post them as warnings for other idiots.

The Pedalo used is actually this:-

No more barmy / just as barmy! as going accross in a small rowing boat.

Part of the price of living in a free society (and not just repeating the Govt propaganda) is that folks like these can do stuff like this ......without Govt approval (nor requiring their Poop to be inspected ).

The cost of rescue? Personally I wouldn't bother going out for them (nor for anyone else - me included).....but if a society decides that rescues should happen then I don't see why folks like these should be excluded.

Hell, it's not as if lots of ill prepared recreational sailors don't also get rescued.....from their own stupidity / wishful thinking - even where they afterwards still maintain it was all bad luck / a rogue wave / Kracken / a micro burst / a whale attack blah blah blah. The only difference seems to be that the bigger the budget the better the story ......"the more I spend the less I need to know" .

Ooops , is it possible to derail a thread about a Pedalo crossing the Atlantic?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30   #6

Quote:
These types of stunts should be left to suffer their fates and not rescued.
I agree completely. At the VERY LEAST they should have to repay every penny of the cost of the rescue.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I agree completely. At the VERY LEAST they should have to repay every penny of the cost of the rescue.
very slippery slope...I worked for one of those rescue orgs for 23 years, risked my neck plenty of times for minimal pay and lost some friends along the way.

Wouldn't have it any other way. If I'm ever in trouble...I'm glad I helped train the next generation and I know they are proud to do the same and pass it on.

The rescue costs for many developed nations are probably in the budget and whether they rescue or not is not as big a dent as most think.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Judging by their comments, perhaps we ought to open up a new thread regarding "ultimate bluewater boat":

"The boat stood up to everything that was threw at it, which I’m pleased about, but it was at that point that we decided safety first."
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another stupid rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
very slippery slope...I worked for one of those rescue orgs for 23 years, risked my neck plenty of times for minimal pay and lost some friends along the way.

Wouldn't have it any other way. If I'm ever in trouble...I'm glad I helped train the next generation and I know they are proud to do the same and pass it on.

The rescue costs for many developed nations are probably in the budget and whether they rescue or not is not as big a dent as most think.
Coming from a country where apart from the Coxswain and engineer the rest of the crew are volunteers...
and knowing personally and having worked alongside a few of the guys who do this... they're in it for the joy of helping others and the thrill of the trip.. they don't count the cost.. why should they.. the whole country is donating on a voluntary basis...
the Maroon goes and out they pour.. bakers, milkmen, doctors, lawyers.. its an equal opportunity thing..
As for the countries that have 'Professionals'...
employed by the state or armed forces...
your paying the same costs day to day on wages and training... the only extra's come in if there's a crash or damage to the rescue vessel...
and that happens more in training than the real thing I reckon..
Focus is amazing when its real...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Coming from a country where apart from the Coxswain and engineer the rest of the crew are volunteers...
and knowing personally and having worked alongside a few of the guys who do this... they're in it for the joy of helping others and the thrill of the trip.. they don't count the cost.. why should they.. the whole country is donating on a voluntary basis...
the Maroon goes and out they pour.. bakers, milkmen, doctors, lawyers.. its an equal opportunity thing..
As for the countries that have 'Professionals'...
employed by the state or armed forces...
your paying the same costs day to day on wages and training... the only extra's come in if there's a crash or damage to the rescue vessel...
and that happens more in training than the real thing I reckon..
Focus is amazing when its real...
You are correct about most countries and I feel very lucky to be from one that has that luxury...

But then again...show me a country that doesn't piss away money on other things and as long as it's not PURE folly or criminal negligence...saving people from a house fire or in an emergency room or at sea...well I think that's tax dollars well spent...
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The Pedalo used is actually this:-

No more barmy / just as barmy! as going accross in a small rowing boat.

Part of the price of living in a free society (and not just repeating the Govt propaganda) is that folks like these can do stuff like this ......without Govt approval (nor requiring their Poop to be inspected ).

The cost of rescue? Personally I wouldn't bother going out for them (nor for anyone else - me included).....but if a society decides that rescues should happen then I don't see why folks like these should be excluded.

Hell, it's not as if lots of ill prepared recreational sailors don't also get rescued.....from their own stupidity / wishful thinking - even where they afterwards still maintain it was all bad luck / a rogue wave / Kracken / a micro burst / a whale attack blah blah blah. The only difference seems to be that the bigger the budget the better the story ......"the more I spend the less I need to know" .

Ooops , is it possible to derail a thread about a Pedalo crossing the Atlantic?
+1...
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:07   #12

Seems like they put some solid construction into that thing. CF was cheering on the guy who sank two ships already in Antarctica on his third go-round, but these guys catch the hate.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17   #13
cruiser

Quote:
we are not that stupid., and there is always friend GOOGLE

pedalo - Google Search
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another stupid rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Seems like they put some solid construction into that thing. CF was cheering on the guy who sank two ships already in Antarctica on his third go-round, but these guys catch the hate.
No Engine...
No Sails......
Not a Kayak....
We don't have a Rowing Division.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No Engine...
No Sails......
Not a Kayak....
We don't have a Rowing Division.....
If they put a sail, two hulls, and a chartplotter on it everyone will love them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue