Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 07:43   #16

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

If they put a sail, two hulls, and a chartplotter on it everyone will love them.
Bumfuzzles part deaux!!
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:00   #17

Re: Another stupid rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
very slippery slope...I worked for one of those rescue orgs for 23 years, risked my neck plenty of times for minimal pay and lost some friends along the way.

Wouldn't have it any other way. If I'm ever in trouble...I'm glad I helped train the next generation and I know they are proud to do the same and pass it on.

The rescue costs for many developed nations are probably in the budget and whether they rescue or not is not as big a dent as most think.
Exactly! i have two good freinds that are in this line of work, they live for the days when they get to go out and do what they are trained for.....and detest the days/weeks sometimes months of sitting around and doing nothing but training for it....as one of them often says "i love jumping out of a chopper into a washing machine".....nuts!
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:20   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Seems like they put some solid construction into that thing. CF was cheering on the guy who sank two ships already in Antarctica on his third go-round, but these guys catch the hate.
I wasn't cheering him, and I'm not cheering these guys. If they achieve their "goal", it's about as meaningful to seamanship as adding another chainsaw to the chainsaw juggling record is to having an even number of limbs.

This stunt-oriented sort of ocean-crossing ends with a baby rowing his bassinet around the Horn. In winter. Just to 'get the record'.

I only care in this situation about the SAR people who are pledged to risk their lives no matter how idiotic and avoidable the circumstances. If a heli-diver rescue guy dies because he's whacked across the head by the rescue basket after hauling four people off a foundering (but otherwise well-found!) yacht, that's tragic.

If the same thing happened because some moron is sinking in his swan-pond push-boat 300 NM offshore, that's Darwin doing a facepalm. Without hesitation, I would say the wrong person got killed.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29   #19

Re: Another Stupid Rescue

alchemy-

Wasn't aiming that at you, just the general tone where if someone does something nuts with a sailboat they get cheered on but god help them if it's a paddle boat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
very slippery slope...
The rescue costs for many developed nations are probably in the budget and whether they rescue or not is not as big a dent as most think.
Understand, and mostly agree. But also feel strongly that this sort of stunt should be discouraged in some way. Charging for the rescue might serve as a deterrent for others (or might not, hard to say).

In any case, there is clearly a cost to society for this sort of thing, no matter how small it might be. And there are just WAAAAAY too many of these bozos who go out either to try some stunt, or just sailing off into the deep blue after having studiously ignored loads of advice about proper preparation, and then expect someone else to come and rescue them when the easily-avoided disaster strikes.

We ought to be able to do something to draw a line here.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

What Line ?? folks get rescued thats what the USCG or other outfits are there for!!when did folks on here get the Bal-s to decide that folks with an Idea that don't fit in with your idea of RIGHT ! or wrong don't need to be rescued! now thats a really dumb Idea!! Ive been going to sea for over 50 yrs, and have even towed a USCG bar boat into the columbia river ! Everyone can have a problem at sea period, no matter how well perpared you might be !!! The Sea plays no favorites !! you might be next or me so lets let the pros save folks as they are trained for and most live for !! And quit being the judges of who should be saved !! my daddy told me judge and you wiil be judged ! so give folks a little slack!! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16   #22

Boat: 33ft sloop

I have more respect for guys like these that for naughts like Isabelle Autissier in her not really seaworthy oversized racing dinghy. It is not really a pedalo, waterbike, but a pedal driven craft with the lines of a lifeboat.
I don' t see the advantage of doing it naked but that is not the question.
If you judge, then judge all.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:26   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
we are not that stupid., and there is always friend GOOGLE

pedalo - Google Search
I don't understand your post. I wasn't trying to pull anything over on anyone. I didn't know what a Pedalo was and did the exact google search you linked to. All I saw were pictures of boats that look like what I posted. The same pictures your link shows.

The article I read and posted did not show the boat and the first time I saw it was DOJ's post.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
What Line ?? folks get rescued thats what the USCG or other outfits are there for!!when did folks on here get the Bal-s to decide that folks with an Idea that don't fit in with your idea of RIGHT ! or wrong don't need to be rescued! now thats a really dumb Idea!! Ive been going to sea for over 50 yrs, and have even towed a USCG bar boat into the columbia river ! Everyone can have a problem at sea period, no matter how well perpared you might be !!! The Sea plays no favorites !! you might be next or me so lets let the pros save folks as they are trained for and most live for !! And quit being the judges of who should be saved !! my daddy told me judge and you wiil be judged ! so give folks a little slack!! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
Good on ya Bob and Connie.......

More power to em i reckon.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Seems like they put some solid construction into that thing. CF was cheering on the guy who sank two ships already in Antarctica on his third go-round, but these guys catch the hate.
I think the reaction would have been different if they had first posted on CF with something like "Which is the BEST Pedallo for going Transat?".

and possibly have worn Bikinis

and been female .

(BTW, Pedallos have been covered before by CF........in a Piracy thread - a short one of only 2 pages and which never got locked........).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...racy-4321.html
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
alchemy-

Wasn't aiming that at you, just the general tone where if someone does something nuts with a sailboat they get cheered on but god help them if it's a paddle boat.
I didn't take it as aimed at me, RH. We're good.

I would say, however, that for every boneheaded move I see another sailboat pull from the helm of my own, I see two powerboats and four jetskis try. In your line of work, I have no idea how many hundreds of oblivious screw-ups you see a year, but I imagine the ratio is approximately equivalent.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36   #27

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Looks like they could be future candidates of the Darwin Awards. Or at least an Honorable Mention.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37   #28

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I wasn't cheering him, and I'm not cheering these guys. If they achieve their "goal", it's about as meaningful to seamanship as adding another chainsaw to the chainsaw juggling record is to having an even number of limbs.

This stunt-oriented sort of ocean-crossing ends with a baby rowing his bassinet around the Horn. In winter. Just to 'get the record'.

I only care in this situation about the SAR people who are pledged to risk their lives no matter how idiotic and avoidable the circumstances. If a heli-diver rescue guy dies because he's whacked across the head by the rescue basket after hauling four people off a foundering (but otherwise well-found!) yacht, that's tragic.

If the same thing happened because some moron is sinking in his swan-pond push-boat 300 NM offshore, that's Darwin doing a facepalm. Without hesitation, I would say the wrong person got killed.
You go no matter how stupid the rescuee ... it should never change how you perform your job and if you die during the rescue it's not tragic as it's usually avoidable. When it does happen....it happens to be that tiny cost of doing business that no one likes, but has to face.

OK ...OK...so I didn't sprint to the helo when it was a sinking druggie boat...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Bumfuzzles part deaux!!
Don't know how you can make a statement like that when there is nothing the bums have done to be rescued. They do their own thing and pay their own way while learning along the way. At least they have a boat and out there doing it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09   #30

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
If they put a sail, two hulls, and a chartplotter on it everyone will love them.
Surely you meant...If they put a fridge, watermaker, portable generator and at least two oversized anchors and chain scope sufficient for the Mariana trench?

I'm all for people doing whatever they want, what I find noteworthy in all these undertakings (albeit land sea or air) is the allusion that the endeavor is towards some charitable cause, a greater good which justifies the self indulgence.

In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, I'll donate $50 to the underlying charity/excuse of the next epic failure of this type that I see posted.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue