Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42   #46

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Another Stupid Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't sweat it Piglet....
I got the connection between the 'BumFuzzle' and naked peddlepower...
Subtle.....
Have you ever had a visual image pop into your head that seems quite promising at first, but then turns into something rather unpleasant?

I have.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:52   #47

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Humphrey Barton sailed a small Vertue class wrong way across the Atlantic.
Robert Manry sailed the tiny Tinkerbelle across the Atlantic. Two Golden globe contenders rowed across the Atlantic. Roz savage rowed across three oceans. Some guy tried to paddle board across the Atlantic. 3 women also set out to paddle board across the Atlantic. Slocum sailed around in a worn out old fishing boat. Could be a long list.
Today a paramedic died responding to a car fire. They all become there own stories. Some of these thought about adding a twist of some benefit. Not sure about that but if it works for them Im good with it.
The difference with the Vertue and the Tinkerbelle, or in fact most ocean-crossing attempts until the invention of the EPIRB, satphones and other beacons/means of communication, was that the sailors in question knew that they would not, in all likelihood, be rescued.

Unless they exploded right in the path of a freighter, it is rather doubtful they would even leave recoverable debris.

I am persuaded that the skill level or "game" brought to such attempts was therefore, by necessity, higher in the past than now, where the big red button/GPS/satphones may persuade people they needn't bother quite as much with the seamanship because...well, there's a big red "save my backside!" button.

If you went cruising until, say, 1990, especially off the beaten track and without SSB, you were essentially out-of-touch from the point of disapppearing over the horizon to showing up at the other side.

Hence, we may have a situation where less-qualified sailors are attempting more dangerous "stunt" voyages, but the danger level to SAR personnel is hardly lessened, as they are now able to go near the limit of their rescue range by homing in on a beacon instead of laying out a visual search grid.

There's still the hazard of hauling out someone from the water and then trying to get back in one piece to land.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Stupid Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Have you ever had a visual image pop into your head that seems quite promising at first, but then turns into something rather unpleasant?

I have.
ROFL...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

I think the first action before their next attempt should include a vasectomy. That way whatever happens we get them out of the gene pool as this is really the only way to fix stupid without just killing people.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Inherently unsafe voyages that need a rescue should be paid for by the rescued. It's not right for people to do voyages like this on the taxpayers dime.

Naked? Ewww! If you don't got it then don't torture others with it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05   #51
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
First the Uzk lifeboat service is not on the taxpayers dime. , it's a voluntary run on donations.

Secondly, this is a serious sport carried on in an appropriate craft.

The " naked" part isn't about titillation. ( which many of you didn't get). Atlantivc Rowers like these guys go naked as it cuts down Chafe.

Why criticise this not criticise a 13years old sailing activity.

Please don't be hypocrites.

Dave
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08   #52

So what! Let them do what they want to do. With all the bail outs and austerity measures around te world... What's a few rescues? Don't b haters.
TexasPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPhil View Post
So what! Let them do what they want to do. With all the bail outs and austerity measures around te world... What's a few rescues? Don't b haters.
Taxpayers subsidizing the cost of a rescue only encourages more. It's not hate, it's being financially responsible for ones activities....like purchasing insurance.

Perhaps there needs to be rescue insurance for foolish ventures like this?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:38   #54

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Last year when I purchased a SPOT device SAR insurance cost $14 extra.

If I recall correctly, it's a few hundred thousand dollars coverage, good for a year.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48   #55

Laughing!!! Please the cost of rescue is basically nothing. It's less than 1/1000 of a penny to a government. If that.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50   #56

Typed that in wrong. On iPad. It's a very very small amount of budget. Plus we already prepaid for that rescue with tax dollars. It's already paid for!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:01   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPhil View Post
Laughing!!! Please the cost of rescue is basically nothing. It's less than 1/1000 of a penny to a government. If that.
It's not just the money. It is the lives put at risk as well. SAR craft do go down periodically.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:32   #58
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

SAR is free???

Funny... one of the babygirl sailors cost upwards of a million bucks to have her little tuchas hauled outta the Indian ocean during the bad season...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48   #59

Boat: too many

I applaud their attempts. Throughout life, if your an adventurists sort, you are compelled by "I think I can do this", and if you have prepared (which these fellows have), then you just might succeed. As I get older, my adventurist's bent has subsided a bit, deferring to more comfort. The things I did in my 20's, I would never do now. Even some things I did in my 40's I would not do now. What came to mind was when I lived in Valdez, I waited for a weather window to take my dinghy out of Valdez harbor, through the Narrows, and up to the Colombian Glacier to explore among all the calving ice. Fantastic trip, but wouldn't do it again.

Do the things now that you can, before age has you in a self imposed cage.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49   #60

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
SAR is free???

Funny... one of the babygirl sailors cost upwards of a million bucks to have her little tuchas hauled outta the Indian ocean during the bad season...
Sara,

If you mean Abby, your right. I think Wiki reported it to cost $300,000 USD, which would buy a nice cruiser.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue