Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10   #31

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Don't know how you can make a statement like that when there is nothing the bums have done to be rescued. They do their own thing and pay their own way while learning along the way. At least they have a boat and out there doing it.
It was a joke. My sincerest apologies if I offended anyone.

Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:27   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Another stupid rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, I'll donate $50 to the underlying charity/excuse of the next epic failure of this type that I see posted.
I am planning to drink so much beer it starts dribbling out of my eyes. again......what I do after that has been acheived does kinda vary .

I will be doing it all in the name of World Peace .

Donations can be sent to "The DOJ Beer Drinking for World Peace Charitable Trust" simply by clicking on the red triangle on the bottom left of this post .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If they put a sail, two hulls, and a chartplotter on it everyone will love them.
What? No paper charts?
Old 09-02-2012, 14:28   #34

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am planning to drink so much beer it starts dribbling out of my eyes. again......what I do after that has been acheived does kinda vary .

Donations can be sent to "The DOJ Beer Drinking for World Peace Charitable Trust" simply by clicking on the red triangle on the bottom left of this post .
OK, but I get to knock up the seasick young lady you customarily will be taking with you.

For World Peace, I mean. After all, you'll be experiencing Brewer's Droop as part of your peace initiative.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:13   #35

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: Another Stupid Rescue

I might have done crazy things in my time (maybe even now if I feel to it) but I never will call for the cavalry.

O yes, once I did but the weather was dead calm and I was beached say, a few hundred yards form the coast.
However, people who are intentional looking for the extreme should pay the bill - in whatever form it might come.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:39   #36
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
when did folks on here get the Bal-s to decide that folks with an Idea that don't fit in with your idea of RIGHT ! or wrong don't need to be rescued!
Don't know about anyone else here but I definitely got that "ready ta judge" feeling when I reading the article about how this is the THIRD time they have screwed the pooch and had to be salvaged. I cracked up when I read they are trying to raise 80k because at this point I bet the cost of rescue is getting up there. Maybe they should have just written a grant request to SAR and promised to keep their lame selves out of the water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Looks like they could be future candidates of the Darwin Awards. Or at least an Honorable Mention.
I know it isn't a popular view, but I take great solace in the thought that in a world full of stupid Darwin does in the end clean stuff up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Dude, give me a heads up when you plan ta kick off this effort so we can lock yer account for the duration, ok? It'll save me alot of moderation effort ; -D

And the rest of you keep yer cotton pickin fingers off DOJ's button! We do NOT take donations thru the report button!

Unless they are to me ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:09   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Stupid Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
It was a joke. My sincerest apologies if I offended anyone.

Don't sweat it Piglet....
I got the connection between the 'BumFuzzle' and naked peddlepower...
Subtle.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 17:33   #38

Boat: PETERSON 44

Humphrey Barton sailed a small Vertue class wrong way across the Atlantic.
Robert Manry sailed the tiny Tinkerbelle across the Atlantic. Two Golden globe contenders rowed across the Atlantic. Roz savage rowed across three oceans. Some guy tried to paddle board across the Atlantic. 3 women also set out to paddle board across the Atlantic. Slocum sailed around in a worn out old fishing boat. Could be a long list.
Today a paramedic died responding to a car fire. They all become there own stories. Some of these thought about adding a twist of some benefit. Not sure about that but if it works for them Im good with it.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:20   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

That boat doesn't look much different than an Ocean row boat with peddles. Ocean Rowing | YachtPals.com This is a serious regular event. There are a lot of links here too. They do row naked. Write-up here too. Photo of the Week - How to Catch a Mermaid | YachtPals.com

Perhaps these guys should join the next Atlantic race crossing with these guys.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:12   #40

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

After viewing that photo in the second link, all I can say is she must have done an awful lot of sitting in her short lifetime.
Her butt has a HUGE flat spot.
Check it out.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:23   #41

They went on a 2600+ nm voyage across the Atlantic... I'm pretty crazy, but even that is a bit too much. Has their boat design made any successful trips anywhere?

I thought this was going to be about someone going from Florida to the Bahamas. Now, that is a little more realistic.

However, there is the Plastiki boat that made it from San Fran to Sydney that I would have bet against. That is impressive that they were able to do that and not need rescued.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:23   #42

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

You guys are pretty rough. I was just about to post the pictures of me, in my transat attempt bathtub with outriggers and rubber band powered propellers. Four naked Victoria Secret models as paddlers. I think I will just keep it to myself now.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:28   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
After viewing that photo in the second link, all I can say is she must have done an awful lot of sitting in her short lifetime.
Her butt has a HUGE flat spot.
Check it out.

I thought she looked quite nice. I find as I become more senior, I am no so critical. I also noticed that by the end of the race the men looked like concentration camp survivors and the ladies looked great. Some of the fellows lost a great percentage of body mass.

Lia is well known in the sailing circuits. Sailer, writer, engineer, artist.

Lia Ditton: Messing around on boats | Creatology, Scientific American Blog Network
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:50   #44

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
You guys are pretty rough. I was just about to post the pictures of me, in my transat attempt bathtub with outriggers and rubber band powered propellers. Four naked Victoria Secret models as paddlers. I think I will just keep it to myself now.
I saw a 4' fluorescent light bulb bobbing amidst a nasty blow. Seemed quite sea worthy and gave me great hope. If that thing could survive the steep toppling crap so could I. I wish you best of luck and may I pass your tub in conditions in lesser conditions. Good lord knows if you could survive 4 naked models with attitude to match I can survive this storm.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Everyone can have a problem at sea period, no matter how well perpared you might be!!!
Of course. But it has happened to them THREE TIMES now! And they plan to go yet again, if history is any indication, to require rescue yet again.

Beyond that, if someone makes an effort to prepare and then needs rescue, I have no qualms. If someone deliberately and studiously ignores all advice, and heads to sea completely unprepared, though, that's a whole different matter.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue