Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 08:56   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Another No-Watch Boat

So we're yesterday we were barreling up the Chesapeake at about 10-12 knots on starboard tack, broad reach, when we came across a large port tack monohull with just the chute. We were both downwind, but because the the crossing angle (>90 degrees) I was by no stretch overtaking. We jibed away after deciding it would be close and it was time anyway.

And we never, ever saw a person on board. Ever. My crew was horrified and it took me sometime to convince him that the boat was on autopilot and crew was simply hopeful people would get out of the way. Perhaps they glanced out a porthole and reasoned it was a smaller boat or a faster moving boat. Perhaps they saw we were on deck and would therefor adjust. But with the chute up and no one on deck, there was zero chance they could have avoided anything on short notice.

What is it with people and not keeping watch mid-week, when they reason the traffic is light? This happens to me several times every season. There is little less seaman like and there should be nothing more humiliating than not keeping watch where traffic is possible (I'm not making a mid-ocean argument against singlehanders--this was near Annapolis).

Autopilot is fine, but keep watch. If there is a boat within a fraction of a mile, evaluate the crossing and have a plan... other than hoping others will be more responsible.
Old 27-09-2018, 10:27   #2

Re: Another No-Watch Boat

Call it in to the US Coast Guard.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:39   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

I'm thinking he did see you and just didn't worry about it. One look around every 5-10 minutes is usually enough.

We have so much shipping traffic on this part of the Chesapeake that you must take a lot around every 5-10 minutes and many times the ships are running at much more than just 12 knots. Plus there are the channel markers out in the bay and the buoys (unlit buoys)

A Navy Ship recently asked a Container Ship to move to the far right side of the channel (Thimble Shoal Channel) so he could pass. The Container Ship's Radio Operator said I'm doing 16 knots. Maybe you can just follow us in since I doubt you will over take before we are both slowing down.

The Navy Ship came back and repeated the request and the Container ship was like OK. Moving right close to the Red Buoys.

Then you have the tugs pulling barges and many times they are out of the main deep water channel

The ships on the Chesapeake Channel though can definitely sneak up on you if you aren't watching........especially over near Cape Charles looking North. If you are crossing from the west, there is a lot happening to the East and South that can sometimes take your attention away from the North then suddenly there's a tanker or container ship or two headed your way

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12280.shtml
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:43   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Plus there's always the slight suspicion that the guy is down below unconscious on the floor, as a single hander i find it hard to understand how anyone could not have a look around every couple of minutes or so if there's any traffic visible between you and the horizon so assume something must be wrong...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:19   #5

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
there was zero chance they could have avoided anything on short notice.
How do you figure "zero chance" ?

Most likely you would not actually collide. How close were you at the closest point? It is possible to jibe really hard actually turning upwind, dumping the chute, and letting it flog, but also completely avoiding collision. Maybe these tactics don't appeal to you or are not what you expect, but doesn't mean they are not effective.

These days you can use video cameras to avoid being on deck.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:29   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

There is this new fangled thing called AIS. I think any full time cruiser on a busy waterway should have one transmitting at all times. And having a receiver is a good idea too.

Plus there is radar which can give constant updates on relative speed and bearing. Our radar screen is below decks so you may not see me but I will easily see all vessels around.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 12:05   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What is it with people"
Even the stodgy New York Times once remarked on the oped page (a good ten or fifteen years ago) that "Lions and tigers and bears oh my!" perhaps we needed more of those on the streets to cull the herd.
Now, you could have simply sunk that offending boat. Instead, you have allowed it to continue sailing and endangering everyone on the high seas forever more. See what you've done? It is all your fault.
Dwell on that, and install some gear that will better equip you to sink the next dangerous vessel you come across. If you're on the East Coast, you can stop at Missiles-R-Us. Elsewhere, you can usually ask the guys at West Marine for a copy of their Privateer Catalogue, usually they can bring things into stock in 2-3 days.

Of course, if you just radio the USCG and tell them you passed a vessel under way with apparently no one on deck....someone might be very surprised when they get a visit about that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 12:15   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Unfortunately it happens all too often even in highly busy areas and sometimes with tragic results.

A few years ago a couple in a motor cruiser left Long Beach harbor and with the autopilot on they went below for some mutual recreation. They ran between a tug and its barge and were killed.

Three or four years ago fast sport fisherman with 4 men on board left Marina del Rey on autopilot and ran full speed into a cliff face on Catalina Island at Arrow point. Three were dead at the scene and one was airlifted to the mainland in critical condition. I don’t know if he survived.

I can’t imagine not keeping a look out.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 12:58   #9

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
...Plus there is radar which can give constant updates on relative speed and bearing. Our radar screen is below decks so you may not see me but I will easily see all vessels around.
Ignoring that it might be good enough, would that actually pass muster with regards to rule 5: “Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.” Emphasis added by me.

I would think that radar falls into the “all available means” setion of that rule.

BTW, I’m not trying to be an ass, I’m sincerely asking the question.

regards,
Old 27-09-2018, 16:54   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

Just because you can’t see the person doesn’t mean they aren’t using their sight.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 17:30   #11

Yin/yang. Every internet forum is the same.

Half the threads we talk about stupid regulations.

The other half of the threads we publish for the world to see unsubstantiated charges of wrongdoing that claims a threat to the public exists, withstanding current policies and enforcement (i.e. a greater call for enforcement and/or policy changes). And we wonder where stupid regulations come from.

I think I'll head over to a stupid regulation thread now to not find the answer.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 17:36   #12

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Just because you can’t see the person doesn’t mean they aren’t using their sight.
Exactly, someone might be putting the kettle on or maybe checking your CPA at the nav station. How long did you have eyes on his cockpit?

That said, Annapolis is a busy area. I usually stay topside when crossing close. You get to wave in the daytime and let them know you're there. For some reason, lots of people here enjoy shining lights at your cockpit. It's super obnoxious. If you have some kind of problem with my course, please use the radio!

Just outside Buzzards Bay a couple weeks ago, I passed within quarter mile of some trawler (we both had AIS) and he felt the need to spotlight my cockpit until he'd passed well aft. Calm, clear night; never did our courses overlap. I almost hailed him on the VHF just to break the rules about swearing.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 17:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
How do you figure "zero chance" ?...

No one in the cockpit and we would have crossed within seconds. Zero chance.

How long did I look? First, I had been looking with binoculars. Second, when we jibed, I purposely went DDW for a while and paced him. NO ONE THERE for several minutes.

There seem to be quite a few people who are not understanding that this was the give way boat. It doesn't matter if he had a camera, radar, AIS, or ESP. Yes, perhaps he was staring through a window in the salon. SO WHAT. He had no way of knowing that I would jibe away at the last practical moment. It also makes it impossible for me to establish eye contact.

How long did I look? First, I had been looking with binoculars. Second, when we jibed, I purposely went DDW for a while, wing and wing, and paced him. NO ONE THERE for several minutes. My cockpit is high enough to look into the other cockpit.

Why the knee jerk defense? This is a relatively crowded waterway, only about 4 miles south of Annapolis, MD. This is NOT a place you go to sleep or keep watch from the salon. Have you never seen a no-watch boat before? Wow.

(This was just a few weeks ago, near the same place, and was posted on this forum. And the power boat was defended by a few people. The only reason this was not a repeat is because I did prevent the collision, as required.)
Old 27-09-2018, 17:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Yin/yang. Every internet forum is the same.

Half the threads we talk about stupid regulations.

The other half of the threads we publish for the world to see unsubstantiated charges of wrongdoing that claims a threat to the public exists, withstanding current policies and enforcement (i.e. a greater call for enforcement and/or policy changes). And we wonder where stupid regulations come from.

I think I'll head over to a stupid regulation thread now to not find the answer.
Isn’t that the truth, exactly.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 18:42   #15

Just wow.

Tags
boat