Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 20:31   #301

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I would rather not get on the beggars board I live by three rules for success in life graduate high school get a job and pay your own way.
That's good for you, but why are you so worried what other people do with their money, made.. doing high school and got a good job...
Old 13-02-2018, 20:32   #302

Boat: Ericson 32-2

I see they are up over $15,000 on their go fund me account now. They have made $5k profit in about a week. Not bad.
Old 13-02-2018, 20:38   #303

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
I would rather not get on the beggars board I live by three rules for success in life graduate high school get a job and pay your own way.
I have few rules of my own: Peace, love, joy, happiness, understanding, giving, and compassion. You should try it sometime. Oh, and before you forget these kids were self sufficient till they had an accident (an unplanned, unwanted event causing damage or injury) and only asked for help. Would you deny them.
Old 13-02-2018, 20:43   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot View Post
I see they are up over $15,000 on their go fund me account now. They have made $5k profit in about a week. Not bad.
Despite how overworked, politically divided, and economically challenged Americans have become we are still a generous people.
Old 13-02-2018, 20:49   #305

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Imho, it's internet begging. Nothing more.
Take your lumps, get a job and learn from your mistakes.

Ayn Rand
Old 13-02-2018, 21:11   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
This is not a perfect world, but that is not a reason to accentuate its imperfections. Rigidity is good only sometimes, other times its better to be flexible. I'm sure these kids learned their lesson with a few lumps ,there is no need to hang a millstone around their neck and throw them in deep water.
Old 13-02-2018, 21:12   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
"Internet begging" is a phrase that pops up here a lot, often fired in anger. I just don't get the anger. As alaskaflyfish pointed out, this is a way to DONATE to a young couple down on their luck. The general public decides what is valid and what is not. (refer to the $5 total that the Hawaiian dog-lady cruisers raised) Gofundme is not in your face. You have to go find it. Your choice.

There are Youtube channels that get the same kind of angry statements. Some people complain that people are giving money to others to have a vacation. 'Seems silly do donate for videos you can watch for free anyway. For that matter, there's a great forum for cruisers on the internet. You can use it for free or you can donate if you like it and hope it thrives. You'll get a green badge for your good will. Is that begging too?
Old 13-02-2018, 21:27   #308
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Given this couples story and watching their Youtube interview, I don't believe they are intelligent enough to learn anything other than if you put your hand out, someone will put something in it.

This appears to be the future. How very sad for these people who will never experience the confidence that comes from hard work, self sufficiency, self reliance and taking responsibility for their own actions.

I'm grateful that my two boys (one a principal, one a dean) took the path I showed them rather than holding their hands out for a free pass.
Old 13-02-2018, 21:46   #309

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You have a narrow channel cut through the sand bar on the chart with depts. of 3 to 4ft MLWS either side.. however when I look at the chart I see depths of 10ft MLWS between that bar and the foul ground area and the two green buoys line up to that deeper water and for me.. this is the main channel.
But hey.. I'm just looking at a chart.
Looking at that chart with its green mark on the stbd side of the dredged cut I would be asking a few questions of the port authority. If entering in daylight or dark my normal reaction would be to ignore the chart plotter and leave that beacon to port... oops....!! That of course would be based on the bold assumption that the port authority moved the marks as required so that they were on the correct side of the safe water.

Let me tell you a little story...

In 2001 I spent some time in Macquarie Harbour on the west coast of Tasmania. The chart available at the time was hopelessly out of date.... Lat and Long on chart and on GPS made no attempt to agree with each other... and there was absolutely no detail of any consequence in the south of the harbour.

Another feature was that the water is quite opaque ... being stained with tannin from the buttongrass swamps... and there is no way of telling the depth by eye..

So... on a fine sunny day we found ourselves entering the Gordon River.... and sighted three green posts with no topmarks right ahead... ( a pic of one is below vvv with us passing it outbound... remember this IALA A territory ... green to starboard inbound... )

Anyway... green sticks ahead ... I put them fine to starboard and next thing I know we are hard enough aground that it took one of the big charter cats to pull us off.

Strange story but true... one of those co-incidence things ... it transpired that a week earlier another shipmaster - who worked for the same company as me - had run aground in exactly the same manner....

And a few weeks later another chap I knew, a pilot in one of the Northern Tasmanian ports... ran aground in almost the same spot in his tinny.....

So three 'master mariners' on the putty in the space of a month.....

Back in Strahan conversations went a bit like this.... 'they are port hand marks'..'but they are green'... 'yes but everyone knows they are port hand marks....' 'So why aren't they red? '... 'because everyone knows they are port hand marks...

A month or so later I was talking with the Australian hydrographer about issues with the chart and mentioned these marks... he spoke to the Harbourmaster who assured him that they had only just been put there and they hadn't had time to paint them yet...

I told the hydrographer that they had been like that for at least two years... I do so hope that the h/master got a damn good kicking...

Moral of story.... let he who is without sin cast the first stone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenstikwedsde.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	164123  
Old 13-02-2018, 21:50   #310
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
I have few rules of my own: Peace, love, joy, happiness, understanding, giving, and compassion. You should try it sometime. Oh, and before you forget these kids were self sufficient till they had an accident (an unplanned, unwanted event causing damage or injury) and only asked for help. Would you deny them.
first that's what insurance is for. Second I can't complain. I helped give them the right to be a quasi burden on those of us that accept responsibility for our own mistakes. ( see insurance statement above)
Old 13-02-2018, 21:55   #311

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Would you prefer if everyone was equally poor like the 3rd world? How do you equate funding thru GFM as begging?
Please can someone help us we have no money is begging IMHO and it is what this pair and others of their ilk are doing.

First world people with first world problems too stupid to have insurance and too lazy to earn the dollars themselves.

I have no issue helping those in genuine need and have done so in the past.
These people are not even close to being in genuine need.
Old 13-02-2018, 22:20   #312
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just checked the lnm for area 7 and there are no buoy discrepancies listed for johns pass area
Old 13-02-2018, 22:22   #313

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I sailed out of that channel a few years ago and was warned of shoaling then with the recommendation to follow the charter boats.

As for faux pas, the US navy has pulled a few lately and those Skippers are well trained.
It’s hard to run aground if u don’t leave the slip.
I’m glad they weren’t hurt.
Old 13-02-2018, 22:23   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Given this couples story and watching their Youtube interview, I don't believe they are intelligent enough to learn anything other than if you put your hand out, someone will put something in it.

This appears to be the future. How very sad for these people who will never experience the confidence that comes from hard work, self sufficiency, self reliance and taking responsibility for their own actions.

I'm grateful that my two boys (one a principal, one a dean) took the path I showed them rather than holding their hands out for a free pass.
Crowd source funding is a tool and by the merits of its own success shows it is a viable option if people deem it to be worthy. On the other hand there is the "old fashioned way" of asking for donations the likes of what Colleges and Universities utilize. They write letters a beg alumni for donations and fundraisers. My University sends me 4 letters a year begging me for money. Can you imagine having to work at a place like that? GFM has never even sent me a tweet...Cheers mate.
Old 13-02-2018, 22:34   #315

Quote:
first that's what insurance is for. Second I can't complain. I helped give them the right to be a quasi burden on those of us that accept responsibility for our own mistakes. ( see insurance statement above)
I far as I know they hurt/damaged nobody except themselves and sought out crowd funding to mitigate the salvage. And if this fact has escaped you, INSURANCE is based on crowd funding.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size