Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 23:53   #826

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

"...means MUCH higher tuition..."
judging by the news the uS of A makes in the world & their elected(!) political leaders this can't have affected all that much people...
Old 21-03-2018, 06:37   #827
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
"...means MUCH higher tuition..."
judging by the news the uS of A makes in the world & their elected(!) political leaders this can't have affected all that much people...
remember people of their age bracket basically grew up under the previous administration of the U.S. Gov. So dont think it is due to present atmosphere which is due to some just not willing to admit that they lost an election.
Old 21-03-2018, 07:34   #828

"The boomers inherited a rich, dynamic country and have gradually bankrupted it. They habitually cut their own taxes and borrow money without any concern for future burdens. They’ve spent virtually all our money and assets on themselves and in the process have left a financial disaster for their children."

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/20/16772...-congress-debt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1993.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	166759  
Old 21-03-2018, 08:02   #829

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
"The boomers inherited a rich, dynamic country and have gradually bankrupted it. They habitually cut their own taxes and borrow money without any concern for future burdens. They’ve spent virtually all our money and assets on themselves and in the process have left a financial disaster for their children."

And which EU country is the economic role model??? Greece? Spain? Portugal?
Old 21-03-2018, 08:07   #830
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

from vox? An extremely left leaning outlet. Historically the liberals/ leftists tend to not take responsibility for their own messes instead pass the blame onto others.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:13   #831

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
from vox? An extremely left leaning outlet. Historically the liberals/ leftists tend to not take responsibility for their own messes instead pass the blame onto others.
Oh good, broad brush strokes. I'll join in!

Folks like yourself, on the other hand, walk around with this insane blind spot, accusing folks of not taking responsibility while remaining completely oblivious to the problems your selfishness has created. Its something deep within you that believes if you aren't actually the victim of the problem, you must also have nothing to do with it's cause.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:21   #832
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Oh good, broad brush strokes. I'll join in!

Folks like yourself, on the other hand, walk around with this insane blind spot, accusing folks of not taking responsibility while remaining completely oblivious to the problems your selfishness has created. Its something deep within you that believes if you aren't actually the victim of the problem, you must also have nothing to do with it's cause.
me well I do collect a monthly check from the U.S. Government. Its called VA disability
An no I'm not the victim . I don't owe anybody for anything I have gotten save for my folks I owe them for my fortitude and work ethics. ( they both grew up in the great depression)
me personally I have had to work for everything I have.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:23   #833

Quote:
me personally I have had to work for everything I have.
So have the rest of us.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:32   #834
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
So have the rest of us.
many of the mellinial generation did not work to pay their own way through college
Either they borrowed the money from failed gov programs or their parents paid their way.
Either way it has caused major economic issues and a general feeling of entitlement .
But all of this is getting political and has little to do with the general meme of this thread .

Does anyone have an update on the removal of the wreck and weighed he keel was at the spot of the sinking or not located? (Locating the keel may answer the question as to when it became disconnected from the vessel.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:34   #835

Quote:
many of the mellinial generation did not work to pay their own way through college
Either they borrowed the money from failed gov programs or their parents paid their way.
Either way it has caused major economic issues and a general feeling of entitlement .
I understand that you "feel" that that's true, but the numbers don't support your theory.

But numbers come from nerds, so it must be fake news, right?
Old 21-03-2018, 08:40   #836

The US national debt is fascinating. If you can get past all the finger pointing and take a cold look at the situation that is neither left nor right leaning... you find a really bad picture. Anyone who has ever balanced a checkbook could see that. It's like a big ponzi scheme. They always fails spectacularly at some point. The debt service alone is close to a half trillion dollars annually, and the those interest rates are crazy low. BTW, the EU seems to be just about 20% behind the US, but on the very same trend.

The end of this all could be quite an event. The chain reaction of higher interest rates and worldwide defaults might make the Greek situation look like a summer holiday.

Perhaps the kids who lost the keel had it right, ahead of their time by a bit. Take your last few dollars and buy a boat while you can. Sail away somewhere remote and live on coconuts and fish. That last $90 might only be good for fire starting paper one day anyway.
Old 21-03-2018, 10:06   #837

Quote:

I would assume that boomers also spent those money on their children: those cellphones, iPads and cars are not growing on trees. So everybody benefited from their spending....BTW it looks from the graph that 40% of debt happened during 8 years of the last administration...??
Old 21-03-2018, 10:33   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
The US national debt is fascinating. If you can get past all the finger pointing and take a cold look at the situation that is neither left nor right leaning... you find a really bad picture. Anyone who has ever balanced a checkbook could see that. It's like a big ponzi scheme. They always fails spectacularly at some point. The debt service alone is close to a half trillion dollars annually, and the those interest rates are crazy low. BTW, the EU seems to be just about 20% behind the US, but on the very same trend.

The end of this all could be quite an event. The chain reaction of higher interest rates and worldwide defaults might make the Greek situation look like a summer holiday.

Perhaps the kids who lost the keel had it right, ahead of their time by a bit. Take your last few dollars and buy a boat while you can. Sail away somewhere remote and live on coconuts and fish. That last $90 might only be good for fire starting paper one day anyway.
Agreed. Boomers had the world handed to them on a silver platter. I feel bad for Millenials and the Gen Z who follow. They are being required to pay for environmentally degraded wasteland served to them on a recycled paper platter.
Old 21-03-2018, 11:10   #839
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Agreed. Boomers had the world handed to them on a silver platter. I feel bad for Millenials and the Gen Z who follow. They are being required to pay for environmentally degraded wasteland served to them on a recycled paper platter.
This boomer paid for three kids university degrees and three houses for the same kids. I don't owe any self righteous, whining millenial squat !
Old 21-03-2018, 11:17   #840

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Millennials have been given the poop end of the stick. They were shuffled off to a Collectivist Marxist institutions called public skoolz where they were taught what to think instead of how to think while both the parents were off working for their promised unsustainable, unfundable pensions. Notice how unfundable pensions are in the news lately? Debt load is what young people are concerned about now, and rightly so. Lack of parental guidance is the reason why so many young people act like Bolsheviks. However, to be fair young people realize you cannot fix the problem using the same tactics that broke the system in the first place so they follow the only solution that they have been taught which is extreme leftist. Unfortunately it takes a punch in the face (figuratively) for them to start coming around to reality. But their argument is not without merit. The US is approaching 21T in National Debt and estimated 120T in unfunded liabilities. This was foisted upon us all by sleazy Bankers and Wall Street. Young people are hopelessly confused and are searching for a way out. Sailing is a great outlet for them and a great opportunity for us to slowly and carefully deprogram them. I know I do as much as possible in the aviation world and now sailing.
I have included a link to visualizing the National Debt to see what the future generation is up against. It is scary, proceed with caution.

Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size