Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20   #751

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
yes I read that part.
Btw you understand that the engine was an outboard and the fuel tank was a portable . So that was not as big of a thing as is implied.
It means they were not totally irresponsible as many have stated. Per the Coast Guard the boat was on a sand bar & never in the channel so was not considered to be a hazard to navigation. EVERYBODY makes mistakes. Hating on them now is just mean spirited.

I'm sure they learned from their mistake but we'll know pretty quickly. The Choy Lee Pedrick 36 they just got has a draft of 5'8".
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39   #752
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It means they were not totally irresponsible as many have stated. Per the Coast Guard the boat was on a sand bar & never in the channel so was not considered to be a hazard to navigation. EVERYBODY makes mistakes. Hating on them now is just mean spirited.

I'm sure they learned from their mistake but we'll know pretty quickly. The Choy Lee Pedrick 36 they just got has a draft of 5'8".
I never hated on them . Now here are the facts that I based my earlier statement on
1) they received well over 16k on gobegme
2) they spent 5k birding a company to dispose of their mistake.
They got a newer and IMO much better vessel for 1 dollar.
3 to sum it up 16,000- 5,000 for disposal and 1 dollar for new boat it leaves them with 10,999 to do minor refute on new boat and continue their adventures. Seems to me they came out well ahead. For just a few weeks ago having $90 and clutch surfing. To this .
I stand by my comment I wish I had their luck.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:20   #753

I like this passage from the article:

Quote:
"It was a misunderstanding. We only changed the GoFundMe because we passed the $10,000 we needed, and people kept sending us money," Broadwell said. "We wanted them to know what it was going to. We didn’t want people to think that we still needed more money for the salvage.
And also what the person said, who sold them his old boat:

Quote:
"So I’ve had it there behind the house trying to think of something to do with it," Reinecke said. "That boat is like part of our family, but we also feel that the sailboat deserves to be at sea, not just sitting there, so when this situation came up, we said,

‘Let them have it.’ It’s like passing it on to the next generation."
Nice!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:34   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I never hated on them . Now here are the facts that I based my earlier statement on
1) they received well over 16k on gobegme
2) they spent 5k birding a company to dispose of their mistake.
They got a newer and IMO much better vessel for 1 dollar.
3 to sum it up 16,000- 5,000 for disposal and 1 dollar for new boat it leaves them with 10,999 to do minor refute on new boat and continue their adventures. Seems to me they came out well ahead. For just a few weeks ago having $90 and clutch surfing. To this .
I stand by my comment I wish I had their luck.
I'm apologize. It's good to know you are happy for them & wish them well.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52   #755

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Keel inspection centers?!?! Puleeze......

Keep the government “helpers” away.
I'm with you Sailmonkey, the last thing I ever want to hear is, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you." ... never, never, never. Run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:20   #756

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
They didn't give it away. They paid $5,000 for a salvage. It was also reported that the engine & fuel tanks were removed weeks ago.
And the way I read it, Moore the salvage contractor gave them a very generous 50% discount on the salvage job. So even that suggests there are empathetic folk even in the industry. As for the gift of a larger boat, I can only feel happy for them. Just hope we don't hear of another disaster happening to them.
As for all the old farts on this forum who are still angry over the whole affair, I think most of it is pure jealousy simply because it didn't happen to them. My advice to them is, go buy a lottery ticket, maybe you'll have more luck with that.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:20   #757

Thanks for posting that article.

Warning: I'm going to "hate" on them, so don't read further if that bothers you.

I, for one, though don't buy their story that it was all a misunderstanding:

"It was a misunderstanding. We only changed the GoFundMe because we passed the $10,000 we needed, and people kept sending us money," Broadwell said. "We wanted them to know what it was going to. We didn’t want people to think that we still needed more money for the salvage. "

If their intentions were to remove the boat all along all it would have taken to shut down the naysayers is a post on here, or Facebook, or an update on the GoFundMe page to let people know what was causing the delay. E.g. "We need to get the original title, we are negotiating with several salvage companies, etc.". You might say, why should they have to explain themselves? But I think after requesting on gofundme some transparency would be common courtesy.

Since it seems they do read this forum. I very much invite them to tell me how stupid I am, and explain what led to the delay in salvaging. I'll stand corrected.

But without further explanation I don't buy that they "didn't want people to think they needed more money for salvage".

I'm glad the "spiteful" internet users nudged them to do the right thing. It really wouldn't have been in their long term interest to walk away from this. I wish them more luck with their new boat.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:20   #758
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

There is no evidence it was ever their intention to walk away, that was just an assumption that IMO shows more about the assumers than the couple.

Yes I'm jealous but in a positive way, wish them all luck in climbing the learning curve.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24   #759

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Shazza!! Well, well what do you know! Given the proper amount of time they were able to go from $90 and desolate to "back in the saddle". Lest anyone get to haughty, they were not required to inform you of their progress or plans, even though you thought it was your business. People who gave donations gave willingly even after the requested amount was realized, amazing! Two great things happened here, one: empathy and generosity overwhelmed the negative spirit, and two: the haters self identified. Thanks for letting the world know who you are. I hope the best for these kids. I think young people today need an outlet as noble as sailing. Lets take the boot off their necks and stop demanding their "pound of flesh". Cheers to all who posted.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41   #760

Personally I'd be much more interested in watching their progress than the countless youtube videos of kids asking for money while they cruise the Bahamas.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15   #761

I guess my question would be why didn't their GFM campaign shut down once the $10K salvage cost was reached? And since salvage has now proven to cost $5K, it's refund time, about $11K worth or more. They saw a golden opportunity to parlay their sob story into free money and have done so, including a free boat thrown in for good measure. They're just a couple of freeloaders, which was their mantra from the beginning, let's bail on life work and debts and sail off into the sunset.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:27   #762
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

There aren't limits put on these crowdfunding things, that's not how they work, many projects get 100x or 1000x the initial goal and everyone's happy.

People who donated did so of their own volition.

Any donor seeking a refund got one.

If you don't like or understand this new reality of the modern world just ignore it, shouting at the world to get off your lawn when they're not even on it just makes you look silly.

The whole history of America is built on citizens receiving windfalls they didn't actually earn, if people only got what "they deserve" we'd be one of the poorest nations on earth!

PS love the handle, met Bucky Fuller a few times as a kid, what a genius!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:29   #763

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
I guess my question would be why didn't their GFM campaign shut down once the $10K salvage cost was reached? And since salvage has now proven to cost $5K, it's refund time, about $11K worth or more. They saw a golden opportunity to parlay their sob story into free money and have done so, including a free boat thrown in for good measure. They're just a couple of freeloaders, which was their mantra from the beginning, let's bail on life work and debts and sail off into the sunset.
What do you dislike more:
1. not seeing the kids weeping and gnashing teeth?
2. The kids good fortune?
3. The people who (knowingly) gave more than what was asked for?
4. your lack of fortune?
Old 01-03-2018, 12:38   #764

GFM to help say a cancer patient recieve funds up to and well beyond their initial estimate is wonderful. Care costs can continue for years, bonus money carries on supporting a good cause. A bait and switch campaign however....

First saw Buckys work in the form of the American Pavilion geodesic dome at our Expo '67 in Montreal. Mind blowing (it was the 60's after all...) Meeting him must have been incredible.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:45   #765
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"And since salvage has now proven to cost $5K,"
Did I not get the memo? It hasn't been proven to cost anything, until the job is actually done and the bill is sent out. That's how and why marine salvage claims work, and why salvors are sometimes paid generously. Because there's always an element of risk, and you never know what will happen until the job actually has been done.

In the US, the free market [sic] already has provided for mandatory keel inspections. Try going to a marina without insurance. Try getting insurance on an old boat without a survey. Sure, it can be done. But typically you will find at least a potentially competent surveyor, from the insurers' approved list, and he will say "MUST BE CORRECTED" and other catchy things. And your insurer will tell you, OK, attend to all the red points in the survey within 30 days or your coverage will not apply. And then you find it is harder to get into marinas, so your uninspected keel is somewhat less of a problem in well-traveled waters.

Not a perfect solution, but that's why we have Darwin Awards.

As long as boats are built "to a price" or built light and fast (as with the premier world races) they will break. Including losing keels. The ones that will age best, will be the ones that are overbuilt to begin with, and the market just works against that.

How many of us look askance at Beneteau's "stud" bolts in keels, as opposed to conventional J-hooks in lead keels? Ahuh, except the B approach allows and encourages those studs to be inspected and even changed while still in the water, routinely. Maybe not so crazy after all.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size