Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 05:50   #1

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Another Boat is Lost

Yacht destroyed on the rocks | Elaine Bunting's Blog | Yachting World

Sad story of the loss of a couple's boat at the very end of their trip from Bermuda to the Azores. Certainly a good reminder that the trip isn't over until you're safely berthed. Also, about having a system to keep the f'ing lines on board.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Another Boat is Lost

Very sad. Tough way to be reminded to keep you lines out of the water.

Another suggestion, when in close quarters ALWAYS have have an anchor ready for instant deployment. Might have saved their boat, depending on how close they were to the rocks when the prop jammed.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Wow! Thanks for sharing. The boat is a loss but at least they were saved.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Yacht destroyed on the rocks | Elaine Bunting's Blog | Yachting World

Sad story of the loss of a couple's boat at the very end of their trip from Bermuda to the Azores. Certainly a good reminder that the trip isn't over until you're safely berthed. Also, about having a system to keep the f'ing lines on board.
I cannot count the number of times I heard/read about yachts being lost or severely damaged when a line, commonly sheets or painters, get caught in a prop and not infrequently when the yacht's already in extremis. "Secure the lines" needs become a mantra along with "safety first". Thankfully, it only happened to me once, at sea, when a spinnaker sheet got wound up on our shaft due to a free-wheeling prop. No damage but a lost sheet and a very cold swim in the Pacific to free the darned thing.

What a waste for that family. Hopefully they are able to recover and repair the yacht.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48   #5

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Very sad. Tough way to be reminded to keep you lines out of the water.

Another suggestion, when in close quarters ALWAYS have have an anchor ready for instant deployment. Might have saved their boat, depending on how close they were to the rocks when the prop jammed.
Good point about the anchor. It looks like they have a roller. I wonder if they had stowed the anchor below for the passage. If so, do you bring it out as part of landfall prep or wait until you're safely berthed? Clearly, in this case, it would have been better to have it ready to go, but muscling an anchor into the roller wouldn't be easy in a seaway. The alternative of having a lighter backup hook available would be a good precaution.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I am 'surprised' it were the other sailors went to their rescue before a harbour boat arrived. What are they doing out there in Horta/Azores? No harbour rescue boat? No powerful rib in the marina?

Bravo crew of Aschanti!

I do hope the boat will get fixed and they will sail on!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good point about the anchor. It looks like they have a roller. I wonder if they had stowed the anchor below for the passage. If so, do you bring it out as part of landfall prep or wait until you're safely berthed? Clearly, in this case, it would have been better to have it ready to go, but muscling an anchor into the roller wouldn't be easy in a seaway. The alternative of having a lighter backup hook available would be a good precaution.
On an offshore passage, depending on the boat, the anchor and roller, weather, season, etc I might stow the anchor but will rerig it before I approach land or shoals.

For a large anchor moving it around in a seaway could be a real pain, even dangerous so there is an argument for leaving at least one anchor permanently in the rollers.

I have had to emergency deploy an anchor at least once that I can recall and at a couple of times I was ready to but got the sails up and out of danger in a nick of time (engine failure in a tight spot always the cause). Might not have lost the boat but glad I didn't have to find out.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12   #8

had plenty of fishing lines around the props last summer. Non went tight. However, a prop blade embedded in a foam buoy once and jammed against hull.
This last passage I arrived with a dagger-board jammed down. Has fishing-pot-rope stuck in it - this could also cause issues if there wasn't a deep enough inlet...
I have anchor ready to go, and also roller furled Genoa -ready to go - just in case...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i keep an anchor at the ready and i keep my sheets a lil short with a stopknot 1 ft from the bitter end so as not to be able to lose it overboard and into prop.
i did catch a bit of a jig line net from islas tres marias---but it only caused a tad of vibration as we continued to continue on to punta mita and la crux de hanacaxtle.
i love full keel boats with enclosed spaces for propellers.....
wondering if exhaustion may not have been an added factor-----things o unnoticed in the face of exhaustion.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17   #10

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

In addition to deploying an anchor, they might have deployed sails ?
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Very tough lesson indeed and there but for the grace of God go I.

After having a dinghy painter get wrapped around my prop many years back (and the boat about to be lost on an off-shore reef) I developed the mantra "raw water on, lines aboard, neutral selected, start engine".

Repeating each and every time before any engine start is hopefully proofing one against forgetting when cold, tired wet etc.

A bit like a general aviation's pilot's "Clear Prop" before starting.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I recently had a prop wrap coming into harbor. What did I do? Sail the boat until you can do otherwise. I would have considered even going out to sea at that point. Perhaps it would have not made much difference, but I always keep a shred of main up when coming into harbor. I only dose it when I see my slip on my side. A pain perhaps, but an important backup in my mind.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Very tough lesson indeed and there but for the grace of God go I.

After having a dinghy painter get wrapped around my prop many years back (and the boat about to be lost on an off-shore reef) I developed the mantra "raw water on, lines aboard, neutral selected, start engine".

Repeating each and every time before any engine start is hopefully proofing one against forgetting when cold, tired wet etc.

A bit like a general aviation's pilot's "Clear Prop" before starting.
Which brings up another question. Do you routinely close the seacock for the engine raw water feed or other through hulls that are not in use at sea?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Which brings up another question. Do you routinely close the seacock for the engine raw water feed or other through hulls that are not in use at sea?
A tad early for serious thread drift but...
Engine and sink drain seacocks are always open whenever I am on board (but I always repeat the mental checklist in full regardless). Never really know if leaving them open is a good or bad practice . Always closed of course when not aboard.

Head seacocks are always closed except when in actual use i.e. head is occupied!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
I think nowadays it is pretty uncommon to stow the bower away. BTW one can only be deployed if there is ample distance to the lee danger - often not applicable when negotiating a harbour entry.

I think part of the trouble was the boat attempted to enter the harbour in pretty rough conditions. Maybe there was an emergency aboard and so they decided to go ahead rather than sit the blow out and enter in calmer conditions. They have a blog but not updated for a long time now.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost