Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 19:18   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Anchoring Wind against Tide Conditions

Quote:
Even if it’s free, I’d rather use my anchor I feel safer on my own ground tackle.
Now my friend, you are sounding like a real cruiser! The above sentiment is valid and should be basic learning before you depart your home cruising area.

Jim
Old 09-01-2018, 08:41   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

My catalina gets blown off side to side quite badly. In a current wind situation as described I'll end up sailing over my anchor which isn't a problem unless you only have a little chain out (20m Tweed River) due to limited swing room. This results in chain wrapping around keel grrrrr, out with the dinghy and push the bum around.

I hate mooring bouys for the same reason, line gets caught around keel in the above conditions. This also used to happen on my last boat. I got caught in a blow in Thailand with a mooring rope caught around my keel holding me beam on, broke lead of the trailing edge of the keel.

Both fin keels.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:10   #48

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

A stern anchor is a recipe for trouble in tidal waters.
an understatement!
I'd try putting the helm slightly over...
Old 11-01-2018, 06:22   #49

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Did you try the anchor spring line suggested further up the thread? In my experience this is the killer solution for this problem.
Sometimes, in my experience. Zboss mentioned the ICW and I suspect what he's seeing a lot of is when the current (absent any real fetch) is set up against wind. It happens a LOT in the ICW and the conditions are constantly changing with the tide. At max current you can be solidly overriding your rode, and when the tide is changing you're all over the place when tide and wind are more balanced.

Sometimes an anchor spring will make you corkscrew all over the place...of it it's adjusted well, an hour later it will be wrong and you have to change it. That said I do use it in some circumstances.

I've never used a stern anchor in the ICW but I can see why Zboss would employ it. While I too would be concerned about wind on the beam I'd also be worried about difficulty retrieving both anchors in worsening conditions, particularly single-handed.

My usual solution in the ICW has been to employ a long snubber and relatively large degree of chain out between the snubber hook and the boat. Keeps the chain off the hull and the boat-to-snubber chain catenary, often dragging on the bottom, tends to dampen swinging.

That said, the best solution is usually situation-specific. Every boat is different as is every combination of wind, tide, and fetch. The more arrows you have in your quiver to address it the better.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:46   #50

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The other quite annoying issue we run into with our cutaway forefoot when wind is against tide is the boat fetching up on its anchor and then laying broadside to the waves. Near as I can tell, this is because the stern cross section of the underside of the boat is more sensitive to the current and the bow of the boat is more sensitive to the wind because the forefoot cross section is much smaller. So the stern gets pushed one way by the current and the bow the other by the wind.

As far as retrieving a sterna anchor... if it was an emergency I would just tie off a fender and go back later.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, wind