Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 03:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Anchoring Where has the respect gone ?

Usually when I visit an anchorage , I spent up to 30 Min observing how the boats swing and where will be the best place to anchor , after I consider people's privacy , and other factors move in drop my anchor and test it to make sure my boat won't drag and hit another vessel.
After I came back to the trades what I observe is that people don't care to check where is the most convenient to drop neither respect other boats and the inhabitants .most they just mottor in drop the hook and that's all , a lot of them have to re anchor anchor again again and some of them end up on another boats .

The question is why ? Why somebody won't spent 20 minutes to anchor properly ? , Why somebody squeeze himself near other boats when there is more space available? Why would you want to be 4 metters from the other boat and the last question why when you hit a boat you don't even apologize or at least say hi ??(an example) a guy came in the morning ramming my stern and my dinghy.before he drops the anchor , no damage to the boat neither to the dinghy so he couldn't apologize or just say hi ?? Is that too much to ask ??? And to the last point of dragging why people won't test tonsee if the anchor works or just won't leave proper scope even when there is space ???
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 03:23   #2

Re: Anchoring Where has the respect gone ?

Maybe ramming you in the rear was his way of saying hi?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 03:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Maybe ramming you in the rear was his way of saying hi?
Could be the language barrier ??
Old 24-03-2019, 04:22   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

every anchoring thread is basically the same, it's:

"no one knows how to anchor except me"
Old 24-03-2019, 05:28   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

You have to work on your "Bitch Wings", hands on your hips with a scowl of disapproval on your face..Yes. its a thing.
Old 24-03-2019, 06:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
every anchoring thread is basically the same, it's:

"no one knows how to anchor except me"
Thiz thread is not about knowledge on anchoring but about manners , I agree that you become better as you get more experienced but the attitude I am not sure that is changes .
Old 24-03-2019, 06:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its a result of to many folk competing for limited space.. here in Portugal theres folk who go of for a sail from an anchorage and disconnect the chain, attach an old dinghy or buoy then come back after several days expecting the space to be respected so they can just pick up their chain and resume as before..
Do they ever get indignant if you've arrived while they were away and are impinging on their swing room..
Too right they do..
Its what happens when city folk venture beyond the suburbs.. in the country they fence off land.. on the water they'll try the same.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 06:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Anchoring Where has the respect gone ?

We are anchored in a little out of the way Cove, now with just one other sailboat riding out a Norther in George Town.
Just the other day, we were descended on by five power boats, all at once.
One kept dropping it’s anchor, and it would drag, he did this over and over. The rest just dropped and didn’t even back down.
This is a nice Cove, but on the charts it says “poor holding” and these power boats, like many had the really pretty, but seriously undersized SS Delta anchors.
This picture is where one ended up, so close to a sailboat that was here that it’s dinghy was on their anchor rode, now there is plenty of room, there was no call for that. Two of the sailboats up anchored and left.
I thought, what a twit, just real pieces of work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	188585

Anyway, one came over later to talk, it didn’t take long to figure out that they weren’t so much arrogant obnoxious snobs as they just had no idea of what they were doing. They were traveling in a group, following one “expert” who I guess had been to the Bahamas before.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 07:16   #9

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
The question is why ? Why somebody won't spent 20 minutes to anchor properly ? , Why somebody squeeze himself near other boats when there is more space available...
Indeed... but I don't think social or physical ineptitude is peculiar to anchoring, or boating. Increasingly we seem to be in a time when folks become enamored with one attractive looking pastime or another, maybe take a world-recognized course or two, get their certifications of competency and dash off to the adventure of the moment with no serious familiarity or boat-handling experience under their belt. Cruisers from a different era were first boaters/sailors/watermen/whatever and then became attracted to cruising -- as I read in this forum time and again, many of the folks who are planning their big family adventure sound more versed with high-finance and techno-gizmos than actual boat handling. This is not to say that experienced boaters don't screw up -- I know I have, and embarrassingly so -- but my observation is that the more experience, the more likely that the other skipper will correct their errors as soon as they become apparent, rather than insisting on some ethereal right of way -- right of way doesn't always make it right. Understandably if everyone is dashing to the only safe hurricane hole, things can get tight -- but if I have the option of a crowded picturesque anchorage or a private, rather barren one, the sterile one wins every time and I don't need to worry about someone swinging into me.
Old 24-03-2019, 07:51   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Hanlon's razor

"Never attribute to malice*that which is adequately*explained by stupidity."*
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:08   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Hanlon's razor

That's fantastic

Jumping up and down when the universe isn't the way you would like it gives you sore feet, otherwise the universe stays the way it is
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:21   #12

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Hanlon's razor

I like that, John. I'm adding it to my repetoire of quotes.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:30   #13

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

No body PANIC
Just another anchor thread.
Sorry OP but as always its a Im better than thou thread , in which the thou is doing the writing.
Why does every one expect their ways are the ways of the world , in some countries they Burp to show how good the food is The HORROR
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:37   #14

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It may not have been a language barrier that prevented a Canadian who crashed into my Monitor wind vane as he tried to back into a slip next to me from apologizing, or even acknowledging it even occurred. But even after 8 or 10 people manually put him in the slip so that they could step on and off of the swim step they were still to drunk not to sometimes make it into the water. And to hide his ineptitude the owner spent several hours over the next couple days drunk, loud, all knowing, in the center cockpit of the boat on the other side of Mana explaining all the design flaws on my boat. Unfortunately he hit something and sank shortly after. I blame arrogance or ineptitude for folks not caring about the other people around them. Sometimes stupidity too.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:45   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Are you cruising in Greece? Get used to it. Haven't you noticed that everyone leaves their fenders out on both sides of the boat no matter what. There is a reason for that.

Tags
anchor, anchoring