Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2014, 11:46   #1

Boat: Pearson 27
Anchoring in the Pamlico

I need help. What type of anchor do you recommend for the areas surrounding the Pamlico sound. I currently have a Danforth that apparently does not hold worth anything in the mud in this area. This past weekend my wife and set the anchor and backed down on it in textbook style. In the middle of the night ( all storms come in the middle of the night don't they) a storm came up blew us back 75 feet in no time flat. We were very lucky and did not hit any other boats and got everything under control. But I'm starting to feel like an outlaw always sleeping with one eye open waiting to drag. We sail primarily in the Neuse river and Pamlico areas.

Any anchor suggestions will be appreciated.

Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 12:48   #2

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull
Re: Anchoring in the Pamlico

We use a Danforth all the time in the Pamlico (ca. 100 days per year). I've found it holds amazingly well in the mud/clay there - even when there is a major wind shift. We have a second (larger) Danforth we have used on occasion when it is really really blowing or we just want more stability. Our boat hull sails around the anchor a lot.

We use the size specified for our boat in the Danforth table. I don't remember the size but it is small and light. The second anchor is one size up.

The only time the Danforth won't hold is if you are way up a creek and there are a lot of weeds. It'll never set then.

polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 15:30   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Danforths don't handle wind shifts well and they particularly don't like a reversing current situation, one that you are not likely to encounter in the Pamlico/Neuse. But for straight ahead pulling resistance it can't be beat.

The Pamlico/Neuse is silty mud with a deep layer of silt that keeps anchors such as the Delta from setting easily.

Several years ago while anchored in Oriental's harbor I dragged twice on a Delta. I bit the bullet, went down to WM's store in town and ordered a Rocna. Best anchor I have ever used. Sets quickly and resets easily on wind shift. When you pull it up it is full of mud due to its deep set.

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 15:51   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Anchoring in the Pamlico

My Bruce held my H37c beautifully in the Pamlico Sound.. and a coupla places down the ICW as well as Taylors Creek.. went to the Back Street with confidence..
I do not exist to impress the world.
I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy.

boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 16:06   #5

I went through there recently & slept on the hook one night. We were on a genuine Bruce with all chain rode. We probably had about 4:1 or 5:1 scope out. I think the anchor was probably about a 44lb. It may have been a 33. The boat was a 35' Oceanis. Winds were probably 20-25ish when we set. We had no trouble.

That sound is pretty big & pretty open across most of it's area. You really want to find an area near shore, with a little cover, before you drop the hook there.

The biggest annoyance we had was avoiding all the crab pots. Those things litter that place like a garbage dump this time of year. They were impossible to see at night, which is why we dropped the hook there to sleep.

I did notice that a lot of the commercial boats in that area had Northhill style anchors hanging on their bows.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:53   #6

Boat: Pearson 27
Thumbs up Re: Anchoring in the Pamlico

We definitely had a 180 degree wind shift from where we had set the anchor and it gusted into the mid 30's a few times during the storm. That shift could have been what did us in.

Back Street is a great old Pub Boatman and should not be missed when in the area.

Thank-you everyone for responding.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 06:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We've been anchoring along the Sound and in the area for decades. Our new style Manson Supreme has proven itself over and over in every bottom type and in serious wind conditions including sudden and severe wind shifts. We used a CQR for 17 years and never had a problem with it. But the Manson is our new best friend. Proper scope and setting techniques are just as important as the anchor type. On a small boat like the Pearson 27, there is a temptation to use a short length of chain or none at all on the anchor rode. Use at least as much chain as the length of the boat and more is better. Chuck
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 07:06   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I lived in that area for quite a while. I had a delta which has problems with soft mud anyway. I found that backing down right away was the wrong thing to do. Assuming of course that the boat actually stopped without backing down when you drop the anchor. I found that waiting 10-15 minutes before backing down gave me much better results. The theory is that this allows the anchor to settle through the more silty layers down to more consolidated layers. I sayw this on a CF Anchoring thread many years ago and decided to geive it a try. It worked with my 55 lb delta pretty well, I can't say what it will do for your Danforth.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 08:32   #9

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Patman, if the Danforth style suits you otherwise, you might look at a Fortress, perhaps two sizes larger (maybe the same weight) as your current anchor. The adjustable angle and additional mud palms may help.

Otherwise, you might Google SuperMax anchors. Cap'n Wil Andrews did some mud testing with those, I gather that was someplace in NC although not sure it was the Pamlico Sound, with good results.

I can tell you we use a SuperMax here in the Chesapeake mud... which sometimes varies between packed mud and slime... with good results. We also had good results with the Fortress, but it doesn't ride as nicely on our pulpit... and since it dismantles and stores nicely, we prefer to use that one as one of our back-ups.

Can't comment further on the Pamlico itself; we've gone through there, but didn't happen to anchor... since we were intent on getting to the hotel/restaurant at Belhaven for some good grub

Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is online now   Reply With Quote

anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: