Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 06:56   #1

Boat: departure 35
Anchored Vessels' Etiquette

My wife an I went out this weekend on our boat for a brief escape. We sailed about 30 miles to mus island in Aransas bay near corpus christi and anchored for the night. The trip there was fun but uneventful. We set the anchor, attached the float ball to it, let out 80 feet of rode for a proper scope on it and settled in for a relaxing night. We were 100 yards off the edge of the shallows by the beach. 200 yards from shore. 2 other boats were already anchored when we got there so we stood off a half mile down the beach from them. I put my anchor ball up the mast and had our anchor light on all night obeying all the rules.

At 4 am my anchor alarm went off and said we dragged about 25 feet. I go topside to see a shrimp trawler between us and the beach. She must have snagged our anchor rope and moved it. What do I do. No one hurt. At 6 am a nut runs over my anchor ball in his flats boat going about 50 mph. 7 am some jerk flys by 20 feet off our bow in about a 50 foot hattaras. I can't believe he didn't snag us! A half hour later someone else does the same thing and they know darn well they are running over my anchor rope! By this point I am livid and that driver got cussed out real good. I think half the bay heard me. I was especially mad because when he did it the tide and wind eased up and our anchor rope was slack. I felt a jolt through our boat when he went over it like it snagged on his bow and somehow missed his props. I have no idea how!

Why are people so rude? So rediculously dangerous??? Does anyone read their colregs book that they are required by law to have onboard?
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:09   #2

Re: Anchored vessels etiquet

What can I do about reporting idiots like this? We're on a 30 foot sailboat and I swear every time we go out its like we're putting our lives at risk because of everyone else that doesn't obey the rules. Coming back also we had another problem in the ship channel. Sailing 5 knots full sail upwind on the windward side of the channel. Big barge coming at us and I know I'm on the wron side but he was nice and gavel two horn blasts for pass on stbd. Nice captain. It was Too shallow outside the markers for both of us and I was grateful he let me stay on the windward side. Our bows were just about to meet when a big motor yacht come from behind me and shoots down his port side. The barge driver held his course thank god! They almost traded paint though. Or worse! Why when I obey the rules do other people go out of their way to put us in danger? I really want to start doing something about all the idiots on the water and need suggestions. I refuse to give up our lifestyle just because of people that refuse to obey the rules!
Old 14-08-2012, 07:15   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Anchor buoys are a bad idea, although they be useful in lakes that were flooded by dams where there may be snags on the bottom. They cannot be seen at night and are often snagged by dinks or small runabouts running at night. In the Bahamas where we sail they are only deployed by newbies. In addition to being a hazard to others they often catch on the prop or rudder in tidal waters or when there is a change in wind direction.

Idiots tearing by close to anchor lines cannot be prevented. To avoid mishaps I suggest you remove the target on the side of your boat.
Old 14-08-2012, 07:16   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are using a ball to mark your anchor, this will happen. in darkness no one can see the blasted thing and its soul purpose in life is to awaken you to being freed from bottom of sea. i have watched many a boat drag on its own anchor marking ball, and i have watched as others motor over same--the answer to where is my anchor is not with a marking buoy. good cluck and try to anchor sans marking ball. will save you a world of hurt and relocation when idiota move over your line.
the only thing you can do about idiots who pull your anchor marker is not to use one. you will remain anchored all night and be in peaceful slumber and not drag into coastline.
btw--i have watched as fishermen deliberately ran over these buoys--they arent used much so when found, they are removed by the fishers. you have a very aggressive shrimper population there--might be a really good idea to learn to anchor sans buoy. take a bearing for placement of anchor.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If using rope rode a Kellet (simply a weight) to sink the rode can be helpful.
As others have said generally an anchor buoy is not needed, but when using one I always put a weak link (thin cable tie) 6 feet below the surface, with enough slack that you can still reach the stronger retrieval line. If someone snags your buoy the weak link will snap before the anchor is dislodged.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:31   #6

VIDEO CAMERA

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:38   #7

If you feel better by using an anchor buoy, sink it few feet under the surface. If your buoy is bright, you will still see it through the water, but noone will snag it.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:40   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
If you feel better by using an anchor buoy, sink it few feet under the surface. If your buoy is bright, you will still see it through the water, but noone will snag it.
Not in south Texas, a bright orange bouy will be lost in about a foot on most days!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 08:14   #9

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
7 am some jerk flys by 20 feet off our bow in about a 50 foot hattaras. I can't believe he didn't snag us! A half hour later someone else does the same thing and they know darn well they are running over my anchor rope! By this point I am livid ...
Why are people so rude? So rediculously dangerous??? Does anyone read their colregs book that they are required by law to have onboard?
Aransas Bay is full of fishermen. They have only one thing on the mind at 5,6, and 7 am. That is getting to their spot so they can catch that big red fish.

Just to show how a aware these guys are of their surroundings: My father had a trailer in Bolivar before Ike washed it away. There is a jetty that runs out a hundred yards or more from shore to protect the ferry landing. The jetty sits at least ten feet above the water and is composed of large granite blocks with a flashing light on the end and may have other lights on it. One morning Dad walks out to fish to find a striker fishing boat sitting high a dry across the top of the jetty about half way between the end and the beach. This fisher man was heading in from fishing at full speed, but never made it home.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 08:22   #10

A Texan once said:
"Ye cain't fix stewpid."
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 08:26   #11

Boat: OEM, proportional

Ah, but I bet he didn't drag!
Old 14-08-2012, 08:53   #12

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Peace brother, peace.

Remember we share the waters with all types... many of whom are clueless.

Just consider these hazards when you drop the hook like anything else.. lee shore, scrubbed bottom, etc.

As others have said, the buoy is probably best saved for places with lots of snags... and less traffic.

I like chain, and try to anchor on all chain when I can. It tends to hang much more vertically and if nothing else if it WERE to be snagged by someone passing too close it would likely rip their running gear clear off their bottom if they hit it.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 09:19   #13

Boat: OEM, proportional

I cannot remember where, but I saw a setup in someone's thread where there was a trip line attached to the anchor, and a sliding fitting on the rode....if one wanted to use the trip line, they would slip another doodad on a line down the rode until it hooked the tripline fitting. Totally eliminated the anchor buoy and all the attending fun.
Old 14-08-2012, 09:20   #14

I have been attaching the ball with a little zip tie just in case. It does help. I know the ball isn't a requirement but in a considerate world people shouldn't run between that and your boat. I know that's not the world we are in. I like using it because twice now onboard ship in the navy I had to dive for lost anchors and three times for other people with their sailboats now. I've never lost one, knock on wood, but it sure helps finding it! I can't accept just living with the problem of idiots on the water. Besides being retired navy I was a cop for a while and a good one. I can't ever get the image of dead people out of my mind that were killed by careless idiots. I've tried calling the coast guard before here. Tried the county sheriff. Everyone denies jurisdiction. I know safety is coast guard territory in coastal waters but what do I have to do to make them act? I have a video camera now. I guess I will try that and if I have to file charges myself I will. I'm sick of this.
Old 14-08-2012, 09:23   #15

Oh and last week while in a search for a body by the jetty to our marina I was diving on the rocks. Had the diver down flag on the dingy which was anchored above me. Three times I saw a fast moving hull directly overhead. I'm losing patience with this crap!

Tags
anchor