Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2012, 15:01   #31

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Anchored vessels etiquette.

You should be able to use a paint ball gun red paint , to identify the offender for further investigation.. 3 red paint blotches and he gets a automatic 100 dollar ticket for being stupid ! st nick/ Florida

Old 14-08-2012, 15:43   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're singing to the choir...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 16:00   #33
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

All chain by all means. Ive had a 1"rode cut clean by a passing prop. Since I had a boat crash into me at 4am I try to get a spot upwind of crowd. I theres a blow 35kts or above chances are im sitting in the cockpit monitoring my gps and radar. My etiquette is CYA. You cant control the actions of others.
Old 14-08-2012, 16:27   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
.... My etiquette is CYA. You cant control the actions of others.
Also know as "Good Seamanship" IMHO.
Old 14-08-2012, 16:29   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
All chain by all means. Ive had a 1"rode cut clean by a passing prop. Since I had a boat crash into me at 4am I try to get a spot upwind of crowd. I theres a blow 35kts or above chances are im sitting in the cockpit monitoring my gps and radar. My etiquette is CYA. You cant control the actions of others.
Upwind is ideal. If not and and a boat is dragging down on you there is is a very short window to alert them. Have a powerfully torch and foghorn ready. In many cases you will need to wake them up.
Fenders and boat hook near the bow are important. If you can launch your dingy and if it safe in the conditions (unlikely) this is often the best option to protect the hull and untangle the anchors.
Sometimes you can avoid dragging boats using your motor at anchor, but not often.
Clothing is important. If a boat drags Into you you will be outside sorting out the problem for a longtime with no time to get dressed into warmer ( or more modest) clothing.
Old 14-08-2012, 16:42   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

rranch - you bring up the rules. Obeying the rules means that first you have to know the rules. In many locations there's no requirements for boating - if you can buy a boat, you can use it.

So keep in mind that some of the people you see are probably just ignorant to the rules. The others are just incosiderate. No different than those on land who cut you off in traffic..etc..

It's all part of being part of the human race.
Old 15-08-2012, 12:14   #37

Boat: Pearson 34-II

There is an old country adage that bodes well for the discussion of people without manners:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing . . . it is a waste of time and annoys
the pig."
Old 15-08-2012, 12:29   #38

Boat: OEM, proportional

Powerboats at 5' off the bow? Now that's insane.....
Old 15-08-2012, 13:36   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Anchored vessels etiquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
What is not clear to me is specifically what regulations you believe were violated and what real evidence you have in support of such violations.
I think OP is talking about his rules. Which don't of course need any stinkin' evidence .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 15:03   #40

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think OP is talking about his rules. Which don't of course need any stinkin' evidence .

What the OP is talking about is common courtesy--a practice lost to a great many people today. What does that have to do with rules?
Old 15-08-2012, 16:10   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Anchored Vessels Etiquette

I just read the texas safe boating act and found that the OP has apparently misuderstood one of the provisions. The 50FT distance requirement only applies to Personal Watercraft, i.e. Jetskis. Even in Texas a 50 ft Hatteras is not considered a Personal Watercraft, though in true deference to Texas we would expect them to be bigger there.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:36   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
What the OP is talking about is common courtesy--a practice lost to a great many people today. What does that have to do with rules?
Well, the interpretion of courtesy varies - OP seems to require a 50' (plus anchor line?) exclusion zone around him, and seems genuinely puzzled that he doesn't seem to be acheiving that (no sh#t ). maybe he needs a bigger anchor ball? .....others may view all that as being the demands of a selfish pillock - who doesn't mix well with others and is mostly creating own problems and dissapointments.

Courtesy is a two way street and often enough involves not demanding that others fit around "you".

Of course I am excepting pillocks who steam past within touching distance - but IMO the remedy to that is largely based around avoiding pillock infested areas. not whining to da Gubberment .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:02   #43

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Anchored Vessels Etiquette

First off throw the anchor ball in a locker! keep it cus sometime ya might find some rocks to anchor in !! I mean in texas ya have either sand or mud to anchor in and ya aint gonna lose it that stuff !! all it do is give em a target !! and then ya need to remember all those folks out there are either working or doing as you are. trying to have fun !! so maybe ya need to relax a little !! your gonna have a heart attack if ya keep getting mad at Dumb folks !! cus theres a lot of folks out threre whos parents should never have bred !!LOL As ya get older your Outrage level gets higher and higher!! Hang in there it gets better with time !! just my 2 cents
Old 16-08-2012, 21:29   #44

Re: Anchored Vessels' Etiquette

Well then I guess you won't be doing this for very long. If you don't quit, you'll probably have a coronary if you keep getting upset with the water idiots.
I've been a professional mariner for over 50 years & I can't count the number of times I've had to turn the tug back towards the barge because some fool was sailing over the cable. Or the jet skiers who go under the front of the barge (and DIE) when I was running tugs & barges inside from Lauderdale to Miami; me stop? I'm barely in control.
Or the "drag fest" (which has NOTHING to do with transvestites) in Bequia, the Tobago Cays or Rodney Bay, as the bareboaters drag through the fleet, damaging boats right & left.
Or, or, or.... I could go on for a year.
So calm down, laugh at the fools who don't damage anything and cry for their children when they kill them. But there's absolutely no government agency in the US or elsewhere that gives a tinker's damn about my safety, your safety or anyone's if they can't make a buck on it.
Old 16-08-2012, 23:58   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Anchored Vessels' Etiquette

There ya go Capta, things have changed for the worst as far public safety is concerned!! At least when ya run over em them with a barge, they don't breed a new crop of dummys !! just kiddin

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: