Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 04:49   #181

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Anchor types and General questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
Is the Mantus able to self-launch?

The shank seems completely straight, except for a very small angled section at the very front. I cannot see how that would self-launch except if the roller assembly is itself pointed downwards, and having to push a 30kg+ anchor off the bow presents its own challenges.

My 2 mantus anchors have self-launched easily. Most of weight is in fluke, base of shank so as soon as you let out chain the weight of the anchor makes the shank tilt up and slide down roller. I'm not sure the shank has changed but mine is straight except for angulation near heel of shank.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:17   #182

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
Thank you Steve. I see what you mean, and it does seem like a worthwhile improvement.

Now if only I could get Italian suppliers - whom I mostly do not understand because despite being in Italy I do not speak Italian - to tell me whether their stock of Mantus anchors has "that new bent bit at the front?"

By the way, have you tested the Rocna perhaps, and if so could you maybe point me to the results? I appreciate your methodical test technique, and the effort you invested to share that information with the yachting community.

Andre
Thanks again, Andre.

Hear you go:

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:23   #183

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks again, Andre.

Hear you go:

What would you suggest as to the reason this Rocna wont reset easily other than crap on the anchor,
Is the point not heavy enough to make it dig in,

Thanks, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:30   #184

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
My 2 mantus anchors have self-launched easily. Most of weight is in fluke, base of shank so as soon as you let out chain the weight of the anchor makes the shank tilt up and slide down roller. I'm not sure the shank has changed but mine is straight except for angulation near heel of shank.
Thanks, that's good to know.

I am tending toward the Mantus but the self-launching capability had me concerned. For several reasons I prefer the idea of an anchor which I can cast off by pushing a windlass control button back at the helm.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:42   #185

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
What would you suggest as to the reason this Rocna wont reset easily other than crap on the anchor,

Thanks, Brian,
Their are 2 issues at play on this Rocna short scope set re-set video.

1) Rocna has lower tip weight.

2) Rocna has a tip with the Chisel point UP, so it does not perform consistently on a short scope pull.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2396298
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chisel point UP 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	148871  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:07   #186

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:

Thanks, Brian,
Brian,

The Rocna Anchor performs absolutely brilliantly when it is clean. Therefore, I have to believe the problem lies with the retention of sub-strait on the fluke. That said, more tip weight would likely improve the anchor (or any anchor).

I did not have the opportunity to scrutinize (mangle ) the Rocna the way that I did with the IDENTICALLY PERFORMING Manson Supreme.

Please review the following Manson Supreme video. I made numerous, changes to the anchor including modifications to the tip (to ensure proper contact with the sea-bed). Note that the only change making significant improvement was simply drilling holes in the fluke.

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:34   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

1) Rocna has lower tip weight.

2) Rocna has a tip with the Chisel point UP, so it does not perform consistently on a short scope pull.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2396298
That sheds a lot of light on it, Thanks,
Ive never used short scopes any way, Every thing I have goes over the bow, Just making sure my 360 Degree swing misses everything near me,
I dont park near crowds either, unless conditions arent favorable, The odd marina, Saves any hassles,
Old 31-05-2017, 18:41   #188

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
I think there is more here than that. The scope used on the reset was 3.5 to 1 and they reset at 2-3 knots. The bottom was also loaded with material. No question, the Rocna was not the top anchor in his test, but I'll take my chances with this anchor any time when compared to earlier technologies.

There is no doubt anchors continue their march forward. The Rocna was one of the first of the new generation anchors and they have since come out with the newer Vulcan anchor. Also, there are probably some simple adjustments that can be made to the Rocna to make it a top performer. They tested with drilled holes to clear some of the debris with great success. Changing the chisel angle could also provide improvement.

What's cool is this march of technology will make is safer for all of us!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:42   #189

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

Thanks, Brian,
Hi Brian,

Happend to run into Rex from Anchorright at SCRIBS boatshow last weekend and was speaking regarding the development of the Super Sarca some years ago.

The original Super Sarca was concave (yes - before Rocna/Manson) and Rex had problems in NZ with them resetting because of mud buildup so he changed the Super Sarca to convex to overcome that issue.

I believe Rex is based very close to you and I am sure he would be more than happy to discuss the issue and anything else about anchors. There is little he has not had experience with.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 19:26   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Brian,

The Rocna Anchor performs absolutely brilliantly when it is clean. Therefore, I have to believe the problem lies with the retention of sub-strait on the fluke. That said, more tip weight would likely improve the anchor (or any anchor).

I did not have the opportunity to scrutinize (mangle ) the Rocna the way that I did with the IDENTICALLY PERFORMING Manson Supreme.

Please review the following Manson Supreme video. I made numerous, changes to the anchor including modifications to the tip (to ensure proper contact with the sea-bed). Note that the only change making significant improvement was simply drilling holes in the fluke.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
Ive seen that one before, along with a lot of others, I did a lot of research before I made my own Anchor,
Because I can, I have a full engineering workshop and I have all the qualifications, (Theory and Practice) you can poke a stick at,
Plus 50 odd years of motor boats and anchoring, Ship Building and repair,
I Forged an 8 Ton D shackle for an anchor on a ship, They lost the original one,
So Im not really an amateur when it comes to anchors and shipping,
My Anchor cost me a bit of time, A bit of electricity and a bit of welding wire and a few Cut off wheels,

I did alter it after I made it, There wasnt enough weight on the point, Watching yours and others video's on the weight of the point,
I cut the roll bar and widened it one inch on each side at the flukes,
That increased the weight on the point to 28 Lbs from 15 Lbs, on a 75 Lb anchor,

I didnt want to add more weight as it was heavy enough already, Its that weight simply because of what its made from, I didnt weigh any thing when I was making it, Its just scrap steel, Offcuts, I had laying around my yard,
The shank is 16 mm thick, 110 mm wide, with a 25 mm slot, 660 Bissalloy, The flukes are .26 chrome Boilerplate, The point is 16 mm Stainless, 316,
If it wasnt heavy enough, I could always plate it to add more weight,

I cant try it out untill my boat is finished, Then it will be in 6 to 8 knot running tides,
Entrance to Westernport Bay, Victoria Australia,
I have confidence in it working, But it remains to be seen, If not I will alter it till it does, It will work up to my standards before I leave Melb to go around OZ,
I hate dragging anchors,

I love your reviews, They are excellent, Real time action, Very Informative,

Brian,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My new Anchor, 054.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	148875   Click image for larger version

Name:	My new Anchor, 051.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	148876  

Name:	My new Anchor, 082.jpg
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	148877   Click image for larger version

Name:	My new Anchor, 066.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	148878  

Name:	Anchor,..jpg
Views:	123
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	148879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor.jpg
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	148880  

Old 31-05-2017, 19:34   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Hi Brian,

Happend to run into Rex from Anchorright at SCRIBS boatshow last weekend and was speaking regarding the development of the Super Sarca some years ago.

The original Super Sarca was concave (yes - before Rocna/Manson) and Rex had problems in NZ with them resetting because of mud buildup so he changed the Super Sarca to convex to overcome that issue.

I believe Rex is based very close to you and I am sure he would be more than happy to discuss the issue and anything else about anchors. There is little he has not had experience with.

cheers
Ive met Rex at his house where he makes the anchors, He Lives 15 kays from me, He showed me the first video's of his anchors being tested,
He is a great bloke and very informative,

But its nice to be able to say, Thats my anchor on the front, I made it, And it does work, When I sink it in the ocean, I will find out, Hahaha,
Old 23-06-2017, 07:06   #192

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Went out last weekend to Ship Island and anchored. My new 55lb. Mantus set first time and held great. I may have backed down on it too hard, it was a little stiff breaking it! Glad I went that way.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 18:13   #193

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't think it is possible to back down too hard on an anchor. It will get backed down a lot more in a decent wind and swell.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 18:32   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I don't think it is possible to back down too hard on an anchor. It will get backed down a lot more in a decent wind and swell.

If you do do bury one good though it may be advisable to have a trip line on it.
In prepping for last years hurricane I anchored in a Bayou and did my best to bury my 40 kg Rocna. I had a heck of a time getting it out, took a good 30 min or so
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor