Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 09:14   #1

Anchor Stowed on Bobstay

I was reading the Pardey's books for the first time and noticed the suggested method of stowing their CQR by hooking it on the bobstay (see current day image of Serrafyn below).

http://boatinglocal.com/wp-content/u...en-560x314.jpg

This seems like a very convenient way to stow an anchor on a smaller boat, particularly when you only have fairleads on the bowsprit.

Does anyone have experience with this? What method do you use to keep the anchor securely in place and prevent wear on the bobstay?
navigsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:53   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Anchor Stowed on Bobstay

I'm surprised those guy's do that. Seems like they would stow the CQR on deck or somewhere other than on the bobstay during an ocean passage.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:57   #3

Boat: CS 36t

Anchor stowage when it gets rough has always been a bit worrisome to me. The forces can get pretty high and I have had more than 1 anchor break free (literally breaking steel).

The reason that hooking the bobstay would concern me is that you could potentially damage your entire rig. In a taught wire, if you push on the middle you are greatly increasing the tension force. It is proportional to 1/sin(theta) where theta is the angle from the horizontal that the wire is deflected. Knowing how much force can be exerted when a wave hits the surface area of an anchor, putting this in the middle of a tight wire could really lead to problems. I don't actually have any direct experience with this but that would be a major concern of mine.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:17   #4

Boat: contessa 32

In a long ocean passage many get the anchor below somewhere Stowed on the bobstay maybe 2nd best since it is both lower and somewhat closer to the center of gravity.
My preference would be below on a longer passage ,the decks clear and absolutely everything is properly stowed and secured. Sooner or later a real blow will be experienced and it is very reassuring to know that your craft is optimized for what may come. The last thing I want is to be second guessing myself during trying conditions that are worsening. Worrying is very fatiguing and these are the times you need to be at your best. However ,if the Pardys or anyone,for that matter, have their systems worked out its fine by me. I have never owned a boat with a bowsprit.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:26   #5

See my avatar. It's towed there, but only because I'm about to come into anchor, so it's off the roller and ready to deploy. Seems like at sea it would wear on the bobstay alot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:35   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

A no-no underway. The waves will be hitting the anchor.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:41   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
On my folk's ketch we used to carry a danforth around like that in sheltered waters. quick and easy to deply/stow but dangerous in a seaway.

My guess is that the pardey shot is in smooth waters where having an anchor instantly ready to drop is critical.
Old 22-02-2013, 17:02   #8

Here's a quote from The Self-Sufficient Sailor:

Lin can handle our anchors because of our winch. She can easily let the clutch go and our CQR which lives hooked onto our bobstay, falls to the bottom. Lin can also crank in the chain and rehook the anchor herself with no fear of a strained back.

There's a few photos of the boat in the book showing the anchor hooked on even when the boat is up on the hard. Hard to find a photo online, but here's another small cruiser with it.

http://logofthe.files.wordpress.com/...4/img_0988.jpg
navigsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 20:57   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I would never do it for all the reasons stated above and especially the reason of causing more tension and wear on the bobstay which if it failed could take down your rig.
kind regards,
Old 22-02-2013, 21:10   #10

I guess it depends on the size of the anchor and where it would sit on the bobstay. I'm surprised the Pardey's do it, but they're not known for being foolish.

I keep my manson supreme on the roller, drop it under the bobstay and cinch tight once I'm getting near an anchorage, and launch from there.

With a small boat like their's and a low profile anchor (like a smaller CQR) I think you could probably get away with it. Obviously it's working fine for them.

I put a piece of PVC over my bobstay (solid bar). There some pretty gnarly gouges in the plastic.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:17   #11

But the image is in an anchorage and the quote relates to an anchoring situation, I think this explains the whole story. They stowed the anchor elsewhere on a passage.

b.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:00   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But the image is in an anchorage and the quote relates to an anchoring situation, I think this explains the whole story. They stowed the anchor elsewhere on a passage.

b.
That explains it then. Ok in sheltered waters and just prior to anchoring.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:19   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

No, the Pardeys sailed around with the anchor hooked on the bobstay, at least in their early voyages. This is from Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure:

Quote:
We'd sailed more than 42,000 miles with our CQR anchor hooked onto our bobstay ready to let go with a flick of the windlass clutch.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
No, the Pardeys sailed around with the anchor hooked on the bobstay, at least in their early voyages. This is from Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure:
Amazing. Truly amazing. Something I would never believe, if not for the quote!

Possibly most of us here overestimate the involved risks?

One learns something every day.

b.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:38   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

between a marina and a close by anchorage, yes. between anchorages in a protected bay--yes..
anchorage to nearby marina..yup.....
ocean--nope.
choppy bay or sound--nope....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor