Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 00:42   #136

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Anchor dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the bea

There is probably nothing in sailing with more people researching pros/cons than anchors.... plenty of fairly good evidence out there. If I were replacing my anchor, the new gen would be 1000% the way I'd go, of course my boat came with a new gen rocna so I'm good. I don't think it's all about being able to 'perfectly' set another kind of anchor (although I was surprised to hear the love for Bruces...their setting, holding and breakout strength seem especially dismal compared to new gen by weight). I don't want to worry about wind shifts in a longer storm....setting is one thing, but most other anchors do not RESET after a wind shift in a good way. No perfect anchoring technique will reset that bruce while you're napping below. New gen will pivot on their point without snagging or coming to the surface, and set and reset within one anchor length, minimizing the chance of fouling on debris on the bottom.

Mainly, I don't want to have to try more than once to set my anchor, not because I'm lazy in nice weather, but because if I've just bugged out of one dicey anchorage before a storm to find quick shelter elsewhere, I don't want to rely on perfect technique at 3 am in wind and weather.... I want to drop it and be done.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 06:13   #137

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Anchor dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
There is probably nothing in sailing with more people researching pros/cons than anchors.... plenty of fairly good evidence out there. If I were replacing my anchor, the new gen would be 1000% the way I'd go, of course my boat came with a new gen rocna so I'm good. I don't think it's all about being able to 'perfectly' set another kind of anchor (although I was surprised to hear the love for Bruces...their setting, holding and breakout strength seem especially dismal compared to new gen by weight). I don't want to worry about wind shifts in a longer storm....setting is one thing, but most other anchors do not RESET after a wind shift in a good way. No perfect anchoring technique will reset that bruce while you're napping below. New gen will pivot on their point without snagging or coming to the surface, and set and reset within one anchor length, minimizing the chance of fouling on debris on the bottom.

Mainly, I don't want to have to try more than once to set my anchor, not because I'm lazy in nice weather, but because if I've just bugged out of one dicey anchorage before a storm to find quick shelter elsewhere, I don't want to rely on perfect technique at 3 am in wind and weather.... I want to drop it and be done.
Do not be so sure that the so called new gen anchors will reset within one anchor length! That is not my experience with my 80# Manson Supreme that I trusted to hold our 40’ Silverton. I was very fortunate to be onboard the boat when we had a 180 wind shift. I was stunned to see us begin to float past other anchored boats.

And a comment on scope. Today’s harbors here in Massachusetts are crowded during boating seasons. The recommendations for putting out scopes greater than 4-5 today just is not going to happen in real life around here.

I do not care what videos show for anchor resets because they do not represent all conditions such as a mud filled anchor after it pulled out. OH, it won’t slip until it slips.

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 06:21   #138
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the bea

There's more to an anchor than weight..
That being said I will stick with my preference for the Bruce.. thank you..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 07:05   #139

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's more to an anchor than weight..
That being said I will stick with my preference for the Bruce.. thank you..
OH! That means a lot
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 07:18   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sometimes it's the bottom that fails not the anchor.
Lightweight mud over hardpan is too soft and slippery and any anchor will just move along in much wind.
I retrieved a Delta once that failed in 70 mph+ winds after being set a week. Once retrieved, you couldn't see the anchor except the shank. It was a big ball of clay about 1.5 feet in diameter. In other words teh bottom was still attached to the anchor, but not to the seabed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 07:22   #141
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
OH! That means a lot
About as much as your post meant to me..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 08:05   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: OPB = Available as Crew in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sometimes it's the bottom that fails not the anchor.
Lightweight mud over hardpan is too soft and slippery and any anchor will just move along in much wind.
I retrieved a Delta once that failed in 70 mph+ winds after being set a week. Once retrieved, you couldn't see the anchor except the shank. It was a big ball of clay about 1.5 feet in diameter. In other words teh bottom was still attached to the anchor, but not to the seabed.
Good point!

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2018? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, boat, knot, wind