Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 18:54   #31

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: An Old Dufus Hit My Docked Boat

Thanks everyone.
Our neighbor is as PO'ed as I am.

Particularly offensive was the paragraph at the end of their denial of damages letters to both my neighbor and me was (and I quote):

"Any person who knowingly and with intent to defraud and insurance company or other person, files a statement of claim containing any materially false information ocr conceals for the purpose of misleading, information concerning any fact material to the claim may be subject to a civil suit seeking the return of any payments and other costs and may be subject to criminal prosecution."

Lela Swarts (with an s) at Safeco is not anyone's friend but the company she works for.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 18:57   #32

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
In a small claims court you would want to bring;
Signed and notarized statements from the witnesses and or have them show at court.
Any and all documents including pictures and video w/player.

And check out these links>>> Island County Small Claims Court | Reviews, Hiring and Free Quotes for Island County, Washington agencies!

Small Claims Forms - Small Claims Court - Washington - State Specific
Any court, small claims or not, would be interested in seeing the police incident report about what happened. That would be the first document I would get a hold of to see just how strong a case you have.

Sometimes there is a big difference between what happened and being able to prove what happened in court. My experience has been that often times LEOs are quick to figure out what happened and are often willing to produce a very strong incident report, especially if you make it known what you want.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:08   #33

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not sure where you are located, but most states have some sort of department of professional regulation and an insurance commission. Lucky for me I live in the state capitol and was able to go to the insurance commission office and place a phone call there using a speaker phone. The insurance commission employee sat and listened while the insurance company gave me the run around. When she finally spoke up the insurance agent hung up. At that point the insurance company employee called the insurance company's main office and suggested a fine was an option the next time she someone hung the phone up on her.

It would be a big blow to an agent to lose their license and if the company would certainly not want to suffer a court case involving an agent who had their license revoked.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:36   #34
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure where you are located, but most states have some sort of department of professional regulation and an insurance commission. Lucky for me I live in the state capitol and was able to go to the insurance commission office and place a phone call there using a speaker phone. The insurance commission employee sat and listened while the insurance company gave me the run around. When she finally spoke up the insurance agent hung up. At that point the insurance company employee called the insurance company's main office and suggested a fine was an option the next time she someone hung the phone up on her.

It would be a big blow to an agent to lose their license and if the company would certainly not want to suffer a court case involving an agent who had their license revoked.

+1, excellent advice. If you end up having to fix this on your dime PM me and I'll help you make it happen for cheap. SAFECO is awful, my brother worked for them for awhile until he just couldn't bear it anymore. Bunch of crooks.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:37   #35

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Looks like serious damage id be pissed, id be filing a suit. Were there witnesses? Some insurance companies will give in and pay if you do file. They look really bad not defending their client. !
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 20:09   #36

There were a total of FOUR witnesses including me and my wife.
The insurance company didn't contact anyone.
As far as they were concerned, it didn't even happen !

Ayn Rand
Old 13-11-2012, 20:46   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Remember this?

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:47   #38

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

I kid you not. My first experience with SAFECO was when I called to obtain a quote for my first boat, a 24 foot Sea Ray cabin cruiser. I was only asked for the hull number, not asked for a survey, not asked for any details about my boating experience or whether I have taken a boating safety course or received any formal training. The quote for a full year of $300,000 liability coverage (as required by my marina): $58. When I received that quote, I ran as fast as I could. You get what you pay for. If I needed a claim paid, my $58 would not go a long way toward ensuring I was protected against litigation.

I realize this is speaking in hindsight, but this is what I would have done. The first call to make would not be the insurer, but a licensed boat yard. Take (or have the boat transported, because you theoretically are not qualified to determine whether the vessel is safe to operate) the boat to a licensed boat yard and have them begin the repairs. Boat yards are generally very thorough in documenting the damage and often do so much better than any insurance surveyor has the ability to do. File a claim with your insurance company. They are more likely to move forward with it than if you allowed a surveyor to come to you at his convenience and on his employers terms. If the tables are turned, the ball will be in your court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Start threatening the offender that you'll take him to small claims court and you could even make it a class action suit with your neighbor. Maybe then he'll start calling notso SAFECO himself forcing their hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Agree with Del... also put a lean on his boat and house
You cannot file a lien arbitrarily. Doing so will not only invalidate the lien, but will possibly subject you to criminal charges. You can file a lien in the presence of a judgement, not on the basis of an accusation alone.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 06:54   #39

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
There were a total of FOUR witnesses including me and my wife.
The insurance company didn't contact anyone.
As far as they were concerned, it didn't even happen !
Presumably, you and the others are insured yourselves. If so, contact your own insurers and let them proceed against Safeco and the offender. I assume you have a copy--or can obtain one-of the Police report as well as documentation of the damages. Proceed from there.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:04   #40

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Presumably, you and the others are insured yourselves. If so, contact your own insurers and let them proceed against Safeco and the offender. I assume you have a copy--or can obtain one-of the Police report as well as documentation of the damages. Proceed from there.

FWIW...
Yes! I would agree with this as a first step. The suggestion of a small claims is to get a reaction and maybe, maybe get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Insurance companies agents have a lot more push power when it comes to dealing with other agents.
Old 14-11-2012, 08:35   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Safeco is no longer the company it was years ago and is no longer a "local" company, either. I also suggest getting your own insurance company involved. I also suggest that you proceed with getting a thorough, competent damage survey. Sometimes, particularly with multihulls, the energy from a collision can be transferred in directions and to structures that are distant from the point of impact. Best to know everything, now, rather than find out more, later.

When we sold our boat early this year, we used this fellow in Bellingham. I was quite impressed with him and his knowledge of multihulls:

Matthew L. Harris NAMS-CMS, SAMS-AMS
Reisner, McEwen & Harris
Division of Marine Consultants, Inc.

When dealing with insurance companies, I always try to keep in mind their primary mission for existing: To get as much of our money as they can, while giving back as little as possible.

Good luck. I winced when I read your description of what happened. Made me wonder if the fellow who hit you even had the state safe boater's card.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 10:02   #42

Minaret,
Your PM box is full.
Steve

Ayn Rand
Old 14-11-2012, 10:13   #43
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Minaret,
Your PM box is full.
Steve

Sorry, on it. Sure wish I could have more than 50 PM's...
Old 14-11-2012, 10:22   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Mineret

Cost 15 bucks a year and you can have 25000 pm. Cheap. Just do it, as a commercial member it is tax deductable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 13:37   #45
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Mineret

Cost 15 bucks a year and you can have 25000 pm. Cheap. Just do it, as a commercial member it is tax deductable

Yes, yes, I know. But you have to use Paypal and I refuse to. There are several threads about it. It's my own fault. And I don't know why I'm a commercial member, I don't sell anything. Back to the issue at hand...