Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 28-10-2008, 16:20   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Now, wait a second there, Dan. As the recipient of the appellation "Left Wing Animal Rights Nutjob," surely I deserve some consideration if there is indeed an opening for such a representative.

TaoJones
Ok. I'll give you that one but I worry about putting you in charge until you have posted the stupidest question in the history of the internet

Of course who am I to judge. I am so pauciloquent or perhaps inarticulate the best I could score was, "J**k Off"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:40   #347
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
What a great thread, 24 pages, 346 posts with more turns and twists than what have you. Just how can I work in something with anchors or perhaps dare I say Mo vs Mu.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 02:14   #348
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If Tao is going to be anointed our PETA representative, can I be our NAVS* spokesperson?

* North American Vegetarian Society

I'm not vegetarian because I love animals, I'm vegetarian because I don't like vegetables, and I follow a strict* vegan diet.

*I eat only vegans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anti-peta-billboard.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	5668  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44   #349

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I'll let one of the other moderators decide whether calling me a jerk off violates any of our forum rules on language or personal attacks.

You seem to forget that it's OK to have differing opinions in this world.

However, calling me a jerk off is a really compelling argument for me changing my stance on this - you must have been first in debate camp.
Dear Dan,

I do apologize to you and the forum for my remark. I was (and am) a little stunned that you said that you did not care that a woman had died. I just find this statement sad.

Regards,

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 14:44   #350
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
Dear Dan,

I do apologize to you and the forum for my remark. I was (and am) a little stunned that you said that you did not care that a woman had died. I just find this statement sad.

Regards,

mm

Mango - Obviously I am seeing the world a bit differently than most people.

Death is not something that shocks me. Everyone will die. Living in Asia for almost 30 years I've see extreme poverty. I've seen cruelty. I've seen armed insurrectionists. I have seen dead kids and dead adults.

The question is, "Did this woman die before her time? Thus making it a tragedy."

My answer is no. She died exactly when she was supposed to die. I will die exactly when I am supposed to die.

Is it a tragedy? No. It is the circle of life.

Boating is a rarer way to die, doing something that is supposed to be fun but it's not a tragedy any more than getting hit by a bus crossing the street, or dying of cancer or old age.

Sorry if my view of the world is different than yours.
Old 02-11-2008, 22:27   #351
Marine Service Provider

Oh good golly another tangent.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38   #352
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gmac - Yer right - My bad...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50   #353

....posts like this that change all over the place and seem to be a way of airing ones views should be called ..."tangentental medication".....

healing for some, poison for some....and more changes of direction than a mobius strip.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:22   #354

It's just like driving on the street. We have to be aware of our surroundings. Now if you can't see something because of the darkness with no moonlight (which was not established) then on the other hand, was the speedboat suppose to be going that fast if they were.

In the end, a life is gone. Which is the saddest of all. I believe all parties need to be investigated. Not just one person and make sure all the i's and t's are dotted and crossed regarding the circumstances in this accident.

ceddy
cedric.02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 09:29   #355

Boat: 36' custom steel
Boater sentenced to 3-1/2 years in prison for fatal collision

By CLARKE CANFIELD, The Associated Press November 12, 2008

PORTLAND –– A Massachusetts boater accused of causing a violent boat collision that claimed two lives on a western Maine lake is going to prison for 3½ years.
Robert LaPointe of Medway, Mass., was led away in handcuffs after his sentencing today on two counts of aggravated operating under the influence stemming from the crash on Long Lake in Harrison. A jury deadlocked on the more serious charges of manslaughter.
Prosecutors told jurors that LaPointe had been drinking all day and was operating his 32-foot boat, "No Patience," in a reckless manner when it ran over a smaller boat and its two occupants.
At his sentencing in Cumberland County Superior Court, Justice Robert Crowley said LaPointe lied about his drinking and the speed of his boat to try to deflect responsibility.
"The defendant's failure to take responsibility and his lack of remorse are stunning," Crowley said.
Crowley imposed the maximum sentence of five years in prison but suspended a portion of the sentence. LaPointe also was ordered to serve two years of probation upon his release.
The collision on the moonless night of Aug. 11, 2007, killed Terry Raye Trott, 55, of Harrison, and Suzanne Groetzinger, 44, of Berwick.
LaPointe and his passenger survived being thrown from their boat, which sped ashore before coming to a rest more than 100 feet into the woods. A blood sample taken three hours after the crash indicated his blood-alcohol content was 0.11 percent, higher than the limit of 0.08 percent for operating a boat in Maine.
During LaPointe's two-week trial, jurors had to sift through conflicting testimony on how fast LaPointe was driving his boat, how much beer he had consumed and whether the lights on Trott's boat were working.
Prosecutors told jurors that LaPointe had been drinking all day before he drove his 32-foot boat, "No Patience," with twin 435-horsepower engines into Trott's smaller boat at a speed of 45 mph or faster.
LaPointe testified that he drank only three beers on the day of the accident and was operating his boat prudently. He maintained that he didn't see the smaller boat because its lights weren't operating.
The crash sparked debate on boating safety and whether it's appropriate to have a boat capable of going 80 mph on a busy lake such as Long Lake, which is 11 miles long but barely a mile wide in places.
Robert LaPointe's personal statement to the judge:http://tinyurl.com/67qjwp

Boater sentenced to 3-1/2 years in prison for fatal collision | Portland Press Herald
Old 13-11-2008, 11:07   #356

Boat: islandpacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If Tao is going to be anointed our PETA representative, can I be our NAVS* spokesperson?

* North American Vegetarian Society

I'm not vegetarian because I love animals, I'm vegetarian because I don't like vegetables, and I follow a strict* vegan diet.

*I eat only vegans.

And I always thought that "PETA" meant "people eating tasty animals"
Old 13-11-2008, 11:07   #357
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
This man will learn PATIENCE!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 12:09   #358

The Dinius trial was initially set for January 19th, but reportedly has now been continued to May 19th at the request of the prosection:

abc7news.com I-Team: Trial Updates

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 12:12   #359

Comment from your link about the delay:

"I'm taking bets that the trial date was moved so that the charges against Dinius could be dropped, with no possibility of charging Perdock [because the statue of limitation will have lapsed]. Perdock will have killed a woman, destroyed property, conspired to ruin another persons life, and gotten away with all of it clean."
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
Comment from your link about the delay:

"I'm taking bets that the trial date was moved so that the charges against Dinius could be dropped, with no possibility of charging Perdock [because the statue of limitation will have lapsed]. Perdock will have killed a woman, destroyed property, conspired to ruin another persons life, and gotten away with all of it clean."
OK, I've confirmed to my satisfaction that the statute of limitations to criminally prosecute Perdock for manslaughter is three years.

CA Codes (pen:799-805)

That statute will lapse April 29, 2009. Perdock will then be free of criminal exposure. The Judge has ruled that Dinius's trial will not start until May.

Justice, Lake County style. The D.A. and Judge are working in concert to get Perdock beyond April 29, 2009. That way when the jury finds Dinius not guilty, Perdock can't be charged. And it's 'nobody's fault' that he can't be charged. Oh darn.

This is an example of why I don't think very highly of the American legal system anymore. There is not that much integrity to it. It's all about who you are, not what you do.

Tags
california