Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2017, 09:13   #46

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Amateur Crew Boat Delivery

I don't have a good understanding of the situation, but I gather there are some financial issues. Dave at Cobb's can give you the story.

And yes, Cobb's is a well run and friendly marina. We're delighted to be here while we finish our refit.

Cheers,
Old 21-06-2017, 09:43   #47

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

After some phone calls it seems Vinings is having some financial challenges and even the fuel docks at their marinas in that work may be down because they don't have fuel.

Inbound from the Atlantic my choices are first Cobbs and second Bluewater in Hampton.

I did talk to Dave and he remembered me.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 18:58   #48

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Good idea bringing a handheld VHF with aviation frequencies. (Not a walkie-talkie)
I fly commercial airplanes as well, we sit for hours acrosss lands and oceans monitoring 121.5. (All planes have minimum 2 or 3 VHF radios, a couple of SSB HF radios and some have sat-com.)

If you are in trouble, transmit 3 times Pan or Mayday and say: Sailboat sinking, transmitting blind, 200 miles East of Bermuda, request assistance.
Or whatever it takes to get an airplane's attention.

Primary would be an EPIRB if you have an emergency, airplanes can only alert Air Traffic Control, who would alert the CG.
A DSC VHC could also be activated before the EPIRB in case there is boats or ships in the area.
Be warned. A marine VHF radio transceiver send and receives using frequency modulation. An aeronautical VHF radio uses amplitude modulation. So you'll and the aircraft will have difficulty understanding each other.
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 19:19   #49

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommyDave View Post
Be warned. A marine VHF radio transceiver send and receives using frequency modulation. An aeronautical VHF radio uses amplitude modulation. So you'll and the aircraft will have difficulty understanding each other.
That's something I never knew. So having a portable VHF radio in the grab bag to talk to the search plane or helicopter is presumably somewhat of a waste of money?
Old 09-07-2017, 19:24   #50

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
That's something I never knew. So having a portable VHF radio in the grab bag to talk to the search plane or helicopter is presumably somewhat of a waste of money?
Depends if it can handle AM mode. There are no vhf marine radios I know of that do. So you might go for two handhelds.
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:44   #51

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...I don't know how that route works out at that time and following up with Auspicious should be invaluable for you. But with a long trip and unknown ("Trust but verify") crew and ship? I'd be sure to pack a personal EPIRB and probably a handheld VHF as well, because you simply can't rely on those being present and *working* on someone else's boat. And also to make sure that *you* file a float plan, even if the owner says they will have done so. ("Trust but verify". Again.)
I agree with all the posts so far...Particulalry this one: Trust. But verify.

Before going out on the ocean with an unknown boat and skipper, I ask a lot of questions about navigation, watch keeping, tethering, PDFs and safety equipment. If the boat is not equipped with something like US Sail's Safety Equpiment Requirements and the skipper is unwilling to discuss these then my involvement would end there.

I recently had an encounter where the potential skipper was insulted by my asking about the above. It apparently impugned his/her reputation. Imagine having a discussion about this during a squall or worse...Best to have that discussion before you leave the dock.

And crew compatibility and skipper experience is all important. Surprisingly, many experienced bay racers will be seasick or fall to pieces on a multi-day passage on the open ocean. On a delivery from Florida to the BVIs we ran into a group of four experienced racers on a 46 ft sloop seeking refuge in the Turks and Caicos. Only the skipper/owner was experienced on the open ocean. They had encountered 25 to 35 kt winds with attendant waves, not uncommon in my experience, and the three bay racers showed symptoms of PTSD. Their goal had also been the BVIs but their trip ended at the first possible landfall.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:53   #52
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

You can trust what ever Auspicious tells you here. I have sailed offshore with him and know how he works.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
I recently had an encounter where the potential skipper was insulted by my asking about the above. It apparently impugned his/her reputation. Imagine having a discussion about this during a squall or worse...Best to have that discussion before you leave the dock.
I assume your comment is based on experience. All I can say is "golly."

I have this discussion with owners who are potential customers before advertising for crew. Some combination of the advertisement and the first contact response contain that information for crew.

Once crew is selected and confirmed I send a series of emails that cover a range of issues - the boat, the crew, the plans, provisioning, packing, transportation, watchstanding, light discipline, everything I can think of or anyone asks about.

I can't imagine a professional skipper who would take offense at questions like those you list.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34   #54

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I assume your comment is based on experience. All I can say is "golly."

I have this discussion with owners who are potential customers before advertising for crew. Some combination of the advertisement and the first contact response contain that information for crew.

Once crew is selected and confirmed I send a series of emails that cover a range of issues - the boat, the crew, the plans, provisioning, packing, transportation, watchstanding, light discipline, everything I can think of or anyone asks about.

I can't imagine a professional skipper who would take offense at questions like those you list.
Yes. Astonishingly, a real experience! Obviously, I didn't sign up.

I crew on other peoples boat for variety. As a skipper of my own boat, it is always interesting to see what prospective crew ask.

One delivery I did had one owner/skipper. The other two of us crew were also owners. All experienced short handers so we did 3 hour shifts. We had lots of mechanical problems because it was the first ocean passage for this new boat, but the sailing was great.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:59   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Yes. Astonishingly, a real experience! Obviously, I didn't sign up.
Given the response you got to reasonable questions I think you made a good choice. Information is power when it's shared.

Interviews should work in both directions. I need to make sure I can trust the owners just as the owners need to know they can trust me. Crew need to trust me just as I must trust them. All the relationships are a two-way street.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
You can trust what ever Auspicious tells you here. I have sailed offshore with him and know how he works.
Thanks Rick.

Communication is critical. People have to know what is going on, what to expect, what is expected of them.

If you can't treat crew as adults, how can you trust them to stand a watch?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:09   #57
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
No, I never suggested trying to talk to airplanes on a marine radio, can't do.
There is such things as handheld VHFs with aviation frequencies.
Like this one and many others:

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ico...SABEgIV3fD_BwE
Old 01-08-2017, 12:22   #58

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
So what? I cant do that either and i get around fine. While i agree i should know and plan on learning, i am not commanding the mayflower and i have 5 gps enabled devices with power back up. Its the 21st century.
Now I REALLY feel like a dinosaur. Chart plotters and autopilots are great, but having a compass and glancing at it every so often soothes me . Fair winds and following seas.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:17   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Rick.

Communication is critical. People have to know what is going on, what to expect, what is expected of them.

Right! Everyone is trusting each other with the right to restful sleep when offwatch, let alone your safety.

I was on a delivery where the new owner joined. I never slept during his watch. : )
Old 01-08-2017, 16:19   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Rick.

Right! Everyone is trusting each other with the right to restful sleep when offwatch, let alone your safety.

I was on a delivery where the new owner joined. I never slept during his watch. : )

PS that was not a delivery where Auspicious was captain. He did a good job vetting crew the 2 times I sailed with him.

Tags
boat, crew, delivery