Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 18:42   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Alternative placement of anchor light (other than at the masthead)

"masthead anchor lights are pretty much useless to dinghys zooming around at night in a crowded anchorage."
But then again, masthead lights won't ruin my nightvision. Long time ago I was very late coming into Oyster Bay harbor, much of which IIRC is what we call a "special anchorage" meaning there's someone local in charge with local regulations, and neither lights, nor deck watch, nor radio watch are involved. What most of the world calls "mooring fields".
As I was slowly coming in, one of the crew asked me "Shouldn't we be in the mooring fields by now?" and I said "Just look to the side, we ARE in the mooring fields". We couldn't understand how come I wasn't hitting the unlit boats. Well, I had great night vision. I could see the ghost ships quite clearly with no lights on a moonless night.
If they had deck lights and party lights and patio lights...my night vision would have been ruined.
The trick is, whether you are on land, at sea, or in the air, you don't exceed your sight limits. Unless you've had all of your neck vertebra fused "down" it shouldn't be a problem to just LOOK UP OUT OF THE BOAT from time to time to see if there are masthead lights around you.
Them's the rules. Don't like 'em? OK, either petition your national authority to change them, or take up golf instead of boating. The rules work. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to change.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:09   #47

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Them's the rules. Don't like 'em? OK, either petition your national authority to change them, or take up golf instead of boating. The rules work. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to change.

But those aren't the rules. There is no rule requiring or even suggesting that the anchor light be at the top of the mast.

For vessels under 50 meters, the placement requirement for the anchor light is that it be placed "where it can best be seen."
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:38   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is no masthead requirement for anchor lights.
fact--against a lovely hill lit by house lights and business lights and restaurants one CANNOT see the masthead light.
zihuatenejo is perfect example of that. i entered at night and could not see any anchored boats whatsoever despite there being 20 anchored in the 4 anchorages contained within the bay. be smart. use multiple lighting so you can be seen.
interpretation means be wise and show your boat at night. to all, not merely a few.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 13:59   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jammer-
"There is no rule requiring or even suggesting that the anchor light be at the top of the mast"
Right, but there is also no rule prohibiting it, and in fact, it is common and arguably normal practice. Perhaps I should rephrase that to say "The rules are the rules, whatever they require or allow, you need to expect." Which is to say "Them's the rules. They don't require it, but they certainly allow it and don't require more than that."
I suppose a ring of LED light tape all the way around the hull, at deck level, would qualify as an all-around white light as well, and that's arguably the best place it can be seen.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, head, mast, men