Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-11-2011, 11:54   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Alaska Storm - Are you Ready ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
expect more bizarre weather as we gas the planet. either way one of us will win (Man or planet) You will never guess who my money is on. (not that it will matter).
Was it mans fault the ice age stopped too? One nice big sun spot could mess up your day.

I've been watching these storms form up north for years. Ever since the internet allowed. It's nothing new. We PNW's just like to make a big deal out of it for entertainment. The Columbus day storm was a big mess, as I remember as a kid. We get this stuff all the time. Columbus Day Storm of 1962 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That large mass is just the warm air, coming from the Orient, hitting the cold air in the arctic circle. Which always pushes it down the PNW coasts, then down across the US in to the Gulf and then rises right back up into New England. It's been that way since weather patterns have been recorded.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 16:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Alaska Storm - Are you Ready ?

Yeah, the Pacific high is sitting just far enough offshore to suck this thing right down the Georgia Strait to bellingham.

Old 09-11-2011, 22:54   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Alaska Storm - Are You Ready ?

looks like another bigass pnw stom to me----stay warm...i hope my brother in anchorage, ak is gonna be ok......
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 23:14   #19

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Zee,
At least as of a few hours ago, Anchorage seems to be ok. Here is the NWS report:

.WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW IN EFFECT FOR ANCHORAGE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING... A POTENT UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE ROTATING AROUND THE LARGE STORM SYSTEM IN THE NORTHERN BERING SEA WILL BRING SNOW BACK TO SOUTHCENTRAL ALASKA TONIGHT. LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT WITH 1 TO 3 INCHES SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION EXPECTED THROUGH LATE TONIGHT. THEN AS THE DISTURBANCE APPROACHES SOUTHCENTRAL...SNOWFALL WILL INTENSIFY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING LEADING TO ANOTHER ROUND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW DURING RUSH HOUR. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 5 INCHES IS LIKELY THURSDAY MORNING BEFORE TAPERING OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS ALONG THE MOUNTAINS IN THE AFTERNOON. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION FOR ANCHORAGE WILL BE 3 TO 8 INCHES...WITH GREATEST AMOUNTS AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS.
Old 09-11-2011, 23:17   #20

Boat: Ingrid

So help me out here someone. When I checked the weather earlier today on the NOAA site, I saw the Pacific high forming and read forecasts for some nasty weather and seas offshore 50 miles but nothing unusual for the Puget Sound area through Monday.

I'm trying to get a handle on reading the weather the best I can so how the heck did I miss this?

John
Old 10-11-2011, 00:01   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
So help me out here someone. When I checked the weather earlier today on the NOAA site, I saw the Pacific high forming and read forecasts for some nasty weather and seas offshore 50 miles but nothing unusual for the Puget Sound area through Monday.

I'm trying to get a handle on reading the weather the best I can so how the heck did I miss this?

John
The end of next week will be the kicker. It takes a little while to get here. Over the years I've seen it snow more then once on my sisters B-day 11/21. The leaves on the trees are still hanging on, so we need a good blow to get'm off.

Here's some history............

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N_Pac_11-24-09.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	33526   Click image for larger version

Name:	storm5_19_10.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	33527  

Old 10-11-2011, 07:13   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

ok so the cold and nasty storms of the northwest are starting early.
hope that means an early end to winter, instead of it lasting alll year.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:23   #23

Boat: grampian 26

I just heard on the News this A.M. that you guys in Alaska were pounded hard with roofs being blown off among other damage. Any other news from up there?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09   #24

Boat: Newport 28

Alaska is a very big place. While it sounds like it has been tough out on the Bering Sea coast, here in southcentral AK, we've had some nice early season skiing this winter. I have access to a cross country ski trail just a few blocks from my house. Last night I put in 5 miles after work.

Down in Seward, the boat is winterized. It often blows pretty good down there in winter, so it's tied up tight!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18   #25
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
The most powerful storm to affect the Bering Sea coast of Alaska since 1974 is slowly winding down today, after pounding Alaska's west coast and Eastern Siberia with hurricane-force winds, a destructive storm surge more than 8 feet high, waves up to 40 feet high, and heavy snow. The highest wind gust recorded during the storm, 89 mph, was at Wales at the western tip of the Seward Peninsula, which forms the U.S. side of the Bering Strait. Hurricane force gusts were observed at seven locations in Alaska:

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Alaska blizzard pushes 8-foot storm surge into Nome; Sean heads towards Bermuda : Weather Underground
Glad you came thru comfortably!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 16:20   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's herrrrrrrrrrrre! It helling like Hail.

Old 11-11-2011, 19:39   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Eh, not much a nothin'. I've had nice beam reaches in worse than this....
Old 11-11-2011, 19:39   #28

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Not too bad around Hecate. Rain and gale warnings in effect, but no serious surges. Waves were about 4 to 6m today out in the strait but otherwise not untypical of the storms that come through. We have not been hammered as much as areas in Alaska.

Tags
alaska

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: