Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 17:09   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: AIS courtesy

Bill, that was a great post. I have the same Vesper and totally agree. The boat that's moving needs to learn how to use their filters. On the Vesper you have three profiles, Offshore, Coastal, and Harbor. You set the parameters how you want for each of these.

I'm not turning mine off.
Old 03-04-2016, 00:25   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=MarkJ;2087550]One reason why I leave mine on is I get an email every time the boat moves. If my boat is stolen I know very quickly and where it is. AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic

Also my family and friends, anywhere in the world, can see where I am anytime
/QUOTE]

We are registered on MarineTraffic and it registers when you come and go - but not all the ports as we hit over 40 ports last year and only a few picked us up -
Of course as full time liveaboards we don't worry about someone moving our boat - and if we get an email it will be too late as our computers would be on board --

we run ours if we are on anchor and we are using our anchor alarm which we don't always do.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 15:52   #18

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Include us in the "no, it stays on" category. Turning on the AIS alarm out at sea is fine, but the distraction factor in a busy harbor says it needs to be OFF, and the skipper's brain alarms should be ON - tuned to the AIS display and radar if it's night or foggy, visual scanning with glances at the displays if its clear. Relying on an AIS alarm to warn of collision risk in a busy environment is asking for trouble, IMHO.

Also, leaving the AIS on allows our friends to see when we're in town..
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:43   #19

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

It should be off when at berth and I personally don't run it when at anchor as I find it annoying.

Soon it will be useless for inshore or coastal waters as I now see even small motorboats running AIS. There are so many targets moving at high speeds that the system becomes almost useless and maybe even distracting. With many jurisdictions now requiring AIS so that they can easily monitor boats (especially foreign flagged vessels) it will soon become overwhelming.

Strangely enough, I see lot's of commercial boats out there without AIS including self propelled barges and tugs towing or pushing underway. These are the people that I would prefer to see on my AIS screen as I can use that information to make sure I am out of there way, not the small fast movers that I can't do anything about anyway.

I have pretty much permanently disabled the AIS alarms as they are so annoying. I always transmit while underway though so the big boys can see me. If you are transmitting AIS just make sure that you monitor vhf radio so that they can call you in a conflict.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 23:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post

Soon it will be useless for inshore or coastal waters as I now see even small motorboats running AIS. There are so many targets moving at high speeds that the system becomes almost useless and maybe even distracting. With many jurisdictions now requiring AIS so that they can easily monitor boats (especially foreign flagged vessels) it will soon become overwhelming.
We got an ACER ais a long time ago - they just came out with one for small boats and we jumped on it and were glad we did as the cost of the equipment really exploded. And we love our ais as it has been a helpful tool in maintaining safety at sea.
From day1 when we got it I thought it would be great until everyone got one then it will be useless as way to may targets on the chartplotter. And imho not everyone needs one but it looks cute on the their boat they can brag at the club about their ais or it becomes the next "yea I got one too" -
Old 08-04-2016, 00:36   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
From day1 when we got it I thought it would be great until everyone got one then it will be useless as way to may targets on the chartplotter. -
This is something which I disagree with, if there's that many leasure boats about then ais or radar is useless, you really need to be up top feverishly looking around you in the real world.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:42   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
This is something which I disagree with, if there's that many leasure boats about then ais or radar is useless, you really need to be up top feverishly looking around you in the real world.

Exactly right.

Expecting others to switch off their AIS transmitters to declutter your screen is a bit like expecting others to take down their radar reflectors, isn't it?

I'd rather people kept them on all the time. Ships do.

Interpreting the screen is MY problem, not the problem of those transmitting.

In crowded harbors, AIS alarms are useless because they falsely alarm collision situations not only with vessels in berths, but also vessels turning in channels. They are not made for this situation.

You can set up your screen so that targets meeting certain criteria (according to CPA and TCPA) will be bolded or flashing on your screen. In general, in busy harbors, AIS is altogether not the right tool, as Conachair says -- you need an intense visual watch interpreting how vessels are moving in the channels, which AIS cannot understand, which vessels are about to come out of harbor entrances, etc. AIS with no alarms is helpful because you see them on the screen. If you really want AIS to interpret collision situations -- and in most situations in busy harbors, this interpretation will be false, but still -- you can set the device to make the target carats bold or flashing, which meet certain criteria according to CPA and TCPA. In any case, if you are using AIS correctly, docked or anchored boats broadcasting AIS are not a problem.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Hey, Folks. Could I put in a plea for all of us to turn off our AIS units when moored (not anchored)? I've had as many as 25 collision warnings, totally disabling the unit from doing its job, simply by cruising by a marina. Thanks a bunch.
As you'll see below, many folks have what they believe are legitimate reasons for leaving their AIS transmitters on when docked. Among them would be letting friends follow your progress as you cruise.

I have found from years of experience that it is nearly impossible to change other folk's behavior unless you have some sort of power over them (police, courts, etc.). Even then it's very difficult.

Couple this with the fact that your post is only reaching a fraction of boaters and the reality is, you don't have a chance in hell of getting what you're asking for.

As others have posted, it's up to you to deal with the situation the best way you can.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
It should be off when at berth and I personally don't run it when at anchor as I find it annoying.
............ .
I would think running it at anchor would be a good thing. Another way to try to keep people from running you over.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

I tend to keep mine on at anchor (mostly) but turn it off when I'm at dock
Old 08-04-2016, 10:08   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
. . . I have found from years of experience that it is nearly impossible to change other folk's behavior unless you have some sort of power over them (police, courts, etc.). Even then it's very difficult. . .
Wise words!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:29   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I am a bit surprised some people don't have good filter systems on their plotters.
Mine can filter anchored/moored boats by inserting a minimum speed of, say, .5 knot.
Also I can set if I want alarms, length of course indicators etc.

Where I am atm we have about 180 AIS targets during the busy season and they are not a problem.

They are very effective for anchored boats... I can see when you are dragging into me

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:44   #28

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Agree with this -- why do you have it on? and if on turn off the alarm - we cut our sound off a long time ago
My sound is also always off, the flashing is enough and easier to ignore 99% of the time.

Most of the time, I see commercial vessels with it on at dock. If my motor is running, mine is on also; otherwise I am afraid I would forget to turn send back on.

That would be worse, since I have found that since I got transceiver, the faster vessels avoid me like the plague.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 00:05   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

HUM -- think my communications went array a bit -- what I really mean every boat from little day sailors to sport fishermen to run abouts will get them when they really do not have a great need for them because they are kwel and not that expensive in comparison and the newest and latest toy for the boat.
Does a day sailor really need ais? the best thing they have going for them are their eyes and paying attention. I am not a racer but it would seem that it would be a great information source as to what competitors are doing.
I can't wait to get back to the USA and sail into the Chesapeake Bay and find my screen is packed with ais targets and look like the Gibraltar Straits or worse.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:48   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chuckr, are you saying that you want to transmit AIS so big boats see you and don't hit you, but all these nimble daysailors should not be transmitting and instead just stay out of your way? That's the way I am reading you...
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais