Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:56   #76

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post

BZT
PS Can you say that about your boat?
Are you going to be wizzing overboard during this contest?

The thread is now 75 posts long, roughly 20% of them are you, off topic and contrary to nearly every sailor on the planet, saying his boat won't sail 50 miles and cross a wide but entirely predictable current between him and his destination.

We get it, you left Florida ahead of a front and got tossed around a bit. We get it, your boat is tough. We get it, it can happen to other sailors... who leave Florida ahead of a front.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-08-2014, 13:41   #77

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Serious question. What is the better time of year? I thought most of the cruising fleet crossed during December and January.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I've had my best weather and easiest crossings in late spring, say april may june. But good weather windows can occur almost anytime. We once returned from the bahamas in a dead calm that lasted a full day and had been preceded by a week of terrible crossing weather - in january.

Go figure...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:49   #78

bzt, I only have a sparrow compared to your eagle, but I would not presume that a person who chooses to do something when properly prepared that I don't have a big enough pair to do is either foolish or stupid. Remember opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one and yours stinks. You seem to try to insult anyone who doesn't agree with you.
On to the OP. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and wouldn't do this trip with only a week. You can make it over and back in a week with a good weather window but why? You wont have time but to sail over and back and have much time to do anything else. I would take the boat to the keys and sail to the Dry Tortugas or just sail the keys with your time available. Your boat is fine to make it to the Bahamas with the proper weather window but I would wait until I had the time to do it right.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:54   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Doug View Post
Now that I have read all the posts, the only other advice I might offer is "BZT just sit on your boat at the dock forever" much safer that way.
BZT reminds me of a "sailor" I met in marsh harbor. He was on a Tartan 30, a perfectly capable bahamas cruiser. But he had read a sailing book that told him he should never singlehand his boat. So he sat in marsh harbor, unwilling to even sail or motor the 4 miles to hopetown or man'o'war until he could find crew to go with him. Apparently the crew that helped him bring it to marsh had to fly home.

Old 03-08-2014, 15:31   #80

Boat: Gulf 32

Well yall are right, to much wizzing overboard (sidenote most drownings are found with foul weather gear unzipped) and yes BZT I can say that about my boat. It has sailed to the Chesapeake, sailed to Bermuda, sailed to the Bahamas, sailed to Mexico, up and down both coasts of Florida. I'm not sure if I had anything to do other than just ride along, even by my lonesome on occasion. I have been in the marine industry for quite a few years. The scariest people are the ones that show up and say "I want a Kudzu 500 and am going to sail around the world". I fear the day when the same people show up at a air facility, and buy a plane and start flying it(with out lessons) because the Aerowhiz is the best plane there is..................

NUFF said
Old 03-08-2014, 18:55   #81
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Are you going to be wizzing overboard during this contest?

The thread is now 75 posts long, roughly 20% of them are you, off topic and contrary to nearly every sailor on the planet, saying his boat won't sail 50 miles and cross a wide but entirely predictable current between him and his destination.

We get it, you left Florida ahead of a front and got tossed around a bit. We get it, your boat is tough. We get it, it can happen to other sailors... who leave Florida ahead of a front.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
No pissing contest here just some differing opinions. However, your math seems to be pretty good (taught math for 22 years) but your reading comprehension is, what can I say, Middle School.

Face it, me playing the devils advocate or should I say Murphy's is actually a breath of fresh air in a usually non contentious overly tame forum. Some like me love to stir the pot, while others like you prefer.... is it milk toast?

PS Btw, if you're bored you can leave at anytime.
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 19:02   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
BZT reminds me of a "sailor" I met in marsh harbor. He was on a Tartan 30, a perfectly capable bahamas cruiser. But he had read a sailing book that told him he should never singlehand his boat. So he sat in marsh harbor, unwilling to even sail or motor the 4 miles to hopetown or man'o'war until he could find crew to go with him. Apparently the crew that helped him bring it to marsh had to fly home.

My oh my, another one with Middle School level reading comprehension.

Now you know why I left education....

BZT
Old 03-08-2014, 19:09   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
bzt, I only have a sparrow compared to your eagle, but I would not presume that a person who chooses to do something when properly prepared that I don't have a big enough pair to do is either foolish or stupid. Remember opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one and yours stinks. You seem to try to insult anyone who doesn't agree with you.
On to the OP. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and wouldn't do this trip with only a week. You can make it over and back in a week with a good weather window but why? You wont have time but to sail over and back and have much time to do anything else. I would take the boat to the keys and sail to the Dry Tortugas or just sail the keys with your time available. Your boat is fine to make it to the Bahamas with the proper weather window but I would wait until I had the time to do it right.
Do I detect someone with a thin skin? As far as my a$$hole goes, it would have been best not to kiss and tell. Now our secrets out?

BZT
Old 03-08-2014, 19:17   #84

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Breath of fresh air? Sounds kinda self-laudatory to me. Others have found it more like a fart in a broom closet...

Pot stirring is all very well, when based on reasonable fact. Your repeated condemnation of the WWP in the face of some well documented voyages fails that test.

I think most of us have said that the boat is ok if the skipper is ok, but that the schedule is not ok. Further, experienced Florida skippers seem to feel that your definition of Blue Water is flawed. I'm not familiar with those waters and won't comment except to say that many coastal areas can develop severe sea conditions at times. My old stompin' grounds of the Gulf of the Farralones is a good example. However, since the distances off shore are small, and wx predictions are pretty damn good these days, the ephemeral "Blue Water" label is denied these areas. I'd guess that this proposed voyage fails most "Blue Water" tests. You are welcome to define it however you wish, of course.

So, I'm not sure what benefit your pot stirring has for the OP or the Forum. Perhaps you should rethink your parameters if you are attempting to be beneficial.

Jim
Old 03-08-2014, 20:01   #85

Quote:
My oh my, another one with Middle School level reading comprehension.

Now you know why I left education....

BZT
Sounds more like education left you...

Old 03-08-2014, 21:28   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Breath of fresh air? Sounds kinda self-laudatory to me. Others have found it more like a fart in a broom closet...

Pot stirring is all very well, when based on reasonable fact. Your repeated condemnation of the WWP in the face of some well documented voyages fails that test.

I think most of us have said that the boat is ok if the skipper is ok, but that the schedule is not ok. Further, experienced Florida skippers seem to feel that your definition of Blue Water is flawed. I'm not familiar with those waters and won't comment except to say that many coastal areas can develop severe sea conditions at times. My old stompin' grounds of the Gulf of the Farralones is a good example. However, since the distances off shore are small, and wx predictions are pretty damn good these days, the ephemeral "Blue Water" label is denied these areas. I'd guess that this proposed voyage fails most "Blue Water" tests. You are welcome to define it however you wish, of course.

So, I'm not sure what benefit your pot stirring has for the OP or the Forum. Perhaps you should rethink your parameters if you are attempting to be beneficial.

Jim
Jim, never condemned the Potter, only said that it's a bit too small and squirrelly to go across in my opinion, documented voyages or not.

As far a Blue Water is concerned, it's more a reference to the risks the stream presents particularly for a small boat. Whether you dismiss the Stream as Blue Water is irrelevant to this discussion. The risks are ever present and its reputation for swallowing boats speaks for itself.

But I got to hand it to ya, "fart in a broom closet".... I have to file that one away.

BZzzzzzzzt... its time for me and my Teddy to go to bed.

Oh, one more thing. Don't worry about whether or not my pot stirring is beneficial. Believe me, the OP is thoroughly enjoying this. Almost as much as you.
Old 04-08-2014, 13:17   #87
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Well, after four Gulf Stream crossings in four different months, it really isn't hard to get a window with winds less than 15, and seas 2-3' or less. Does this look scary to anyone? Our first crossing to Bimini in the Stream-

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue water of atlantic.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	86117

Don't we all know not to cross with a north wind, and wait a day or two after a frontal passage to allow things to calm down? I mean, it's a day sail to Bimini, after all.

Our crossing from No Name Harbor to Great Harbor in the Berry's on December 15-16 last year was a nice crossing. Once there, we did have to wait almost two weeks to get a window to cross to Nassau, so I agree with everyone that says getting a two-way window within a week would be pretty rare that time of the year.

Actually, thunderstorms in spring/early summer worry me more, so in my eyes a bit riskier than winter crossings. Those cold fronts are forecast way in advance. Just my 2 cents.

Ralph
Bahamas again! | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Well, after four Gulf Stream crossings in four different months, it really isn't hard to get a window with winds less than 15, and seas 2-3' or less. Does this look scary to anyone? Our first crossing to Bimini in the Stream-

Attachment 86117

Don't we all know not to cross with a north wind, and wait a day or two after a frontal passage to allow things to calm down? I mean, it's a day sail to Bimini, after all.

Our crossing from No Name Harbor to Great Harbor in the Berry's on December 15-16 last year was a nice crossing. Once there, we did have to wait almost two weeks to get a window to cross to Nassau, so I agree with everyone that says getting a two-way window within a week would be pretty rare that time of the year.

Actually, thunderstorms in spring/early summer worry me more, so in my eyes a bit riskier than winter crossings. Those cold fronts are forecast way in advance. Just my 2 cents.

Ralph
Bahamas again! | sailing away with R & B

OR

You will have to run this clip in YouTube. Just do a Google search

saiiboat hellish crossing gulf stream

April 2007

OP, make sure you read the comments...

BZT
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04   #89
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

As the video says - Morning following a proper Noreaster....

Sorry. All the cruisers that I have met would not be crossing to Bimini with that weather window. But, I guess you would blame it on "MURPHY", which seems to find his name in so many of your posts......

Do you think everyone here is an idiot?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:22   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
You will have to run this clip in YouTube. Just do a Google search

saiiboat hellish crossing gulf stream

April 2007

OP, make sure you read the comments...

BZT
Watched the video long enough to hear this was 100 miles off Charleston and the day following a nor'easter.

You can post 1000 examples of storms, nor'easters, cold fronts or whatever in the Gulf Stream and all that proves is something we all know and agree on, the Gulf Stream is nasty in the wrong weather. Weather that is well forecast and easily avoidable in a crossing to Bimini from FL.

I would note that 100 miles out in the open Atlantic from Charleston has nothing to do with 50 miles total from FL to the Bahamas.

So once again as almost every single person that has posted on this thread has said "don't go out in the Gulf Stream before, during or after a front." By the way, the same advice applies whether you are sailing a WWP 19 or a even heavy, full keel, double ender.

One more time now, follow that very simple rule and you won't get hammered in the Gulf Stream.

Well at the risk of being obvious but for sake of being thorough I guess I have to add don't go out in the middle of a hurricane or major thunderstorm either.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, sail, sailing