Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 15:34   #46
Registered User
 
flagorio's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 91
I am pretty sure that Bill Teplow would disagree with all of you nay sayers. He sailed Chubby, his Potter, to Hawaii. Then he sailed her up to Southeast Alaska. Google Teplow and Chubby.
Then there's Stanley crossing the Atlantic from Nova Scotia!
And his return trip East to West!
But wait, how about the crossing of the North Sea from the Isle of Wight to Sweden!!!!
Nah! Gulf Stream crossing? No way in hell! Far too dangerous!!
😮
__________________

__________________
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 16:11   #47
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 89
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
I am pretty sure that Bill Teplow would disagree with all of you nay sayers. He sailed Chubby, his Potter, to Hawaii. Then he sailed her up to Southeast Alaska. Google Teplow and Chubby.
Then there's Stanley crossing the Atlantic from Nova Scotia!
And his return trip East to West!
But wait, how about the crossing of the North Sea from the Isle of Wight to Sweden!!!!
Nah! Gulf Stream crossing? No way in hell! Far too dangerous!!
��
Hey guys, the only thing you are confirming is that there are many ships of fools out there. I don't have a problem with that but they might.

Right Murph?

BZT
__________________

__________________
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 16:23   #48
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 89
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
BZT54, I lived and sailed in south florida from the 1970's to 2004. You would be amazed at the number of small unseaworthy sailboats that crossed the stream and cruised the bahamas (before GPS!) and lived to tell about it. From my roost in coconut grove I met many of them.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
"From my roost in coconut grove I met many of them".

And I would suspect, so has Davy Jones.....
__________________
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 17:40   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,461
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Hey guys, the only thing you are confirming is that there are many ships of fools out there. I don't have a problem with that but they might.

Right Murph?

BZT
Nope BZT what they are confirming is that the WWP is not a simple day sailor as you keep saying, but that it is a competent little boat. Repeatedly completing difficult passages denies your concept of the boat.

I wouldn't particularly want to do the trip myself, but see no reason that the OP can't... except for the schedule issues. I don't know how badly getting stuck would affect his well being. Potential job loss or some such severe consequence of not getting back on time could lead to a bad decision about the return trip, but only he can make that judgement.

I guess that puts me into the "don't do it" camp, but it is not because the boat is not up to the job.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:53   #50
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 89
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Nope BZT what they are confirming is that the WWP is not a simple day sailor as you keep saying, but that it is a competent little boat. Repeatedly completing difficult passages denies your concept of the boat.

I wouldn't particularly want to do the trip myself, but see no reason that the OP can't... except for the schedule issues. I don't know how badly getting stuck would affect his well being. Potential job loss or some such severe consequence of not getting back on time could lead to a bad decision about the return trip, but only he can make that judgement.

I guess that puts me into the "don't do it" camp, but it is not because the boat is not up to the job.

Jim
Jim, you are pretty good at explaining reasons to avoid the crossing. It puts you in the "don't do it camp" because you know better. You know that this competent little boat is just that, a little boat and you would be in for one hell of a ride if you missed your window.

And yes, it's on the OP to make the judgement call. I wonder which way he will go?

BZT
PS It only denies my concept of a Blue Water Boat. The stream is Blue Water therefore a no go for me and I suspect many others.
__________________
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 21:05   #51
Registered User
 
JK n Smitty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hingham, MA
Boat: Catalina 310
Posts: 637
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
PS It only denies my concept of a Blue Water Boat. The stream is Blue Water therefore a no go for me and I suspect many others.

Please show me where this is the definition of blue water by anyone else.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 22:43   #52
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 89
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Please show me where this is the definition of blue water by anyone else.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The stream is not only Blue Water but it has a river going through it. In some cases this makes it more dangerous than open ocean because of limited sea room and traffic.

Your point?

BZT
PS Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
__________________
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:04   #53
Registered User
 
JK n Smitty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hingham, MA
Boat: Catalina 310
Posts: 637
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
The stream is not only Blue Water but it has a river going through it. In some cases this makes it more dangerous than open ocean because of limited sea room and traffic.



Your point?



BZT

PS Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Thanks for supplying your unsupported assertion.

Many very experience sailors and yacht designers don't share your definition of the crossing from the US to the Bahamas as "blue water". In fact many consider crossings that can be completed in a day coastal cruising. Neither of the terms blue water or coastal cruising are truly defined anywhere.

But hey, your boat your choice.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24   #54
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,382
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Please show me where this is the definition of blue water by anyone else.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:40   #55
Registered User
 
Cormorant's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Catskill Mountains when not cruising
Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Posts: 2,073
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Seems to me the boat isn't the problem. The 1 week vacation is the problem.

You'll be sitting there waiting every day for a weather window. If you get your window on Day 4 or 5 . . . do you go, hoping to come back 2 or 3 days later? Probably not.

So why not just plan to cruise the Keys, cruising from Day 1, enjoying every minute?
__________________
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59   #56
Registered User
 
Fiveslide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Posts: 602
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Can we stop arguing about the boat and more thoroughly define and advise the OP about the weather window he needs to make this crossing? The majority agrees the boat can do it.

I'll start. South winds. Any wind direction with a lot of S in it will really make this crossing easier.

Next...

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Fiveslide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06   #57
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Seems to me the boat isn't the problem. The 1 week vacation is the problem...
This is really the issue, not the boat. I wouldn't want to sail over to the Bahamas on any sort of boat with only a week available for the trip. The chances of getting good weather for the crossing over and then the crossing back in a seven day period is just too small.

Given no time constraints, the WWP would be a fine boat for the trip.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:07   #58
Registered User
 
cheoah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Boat: Moccasins and pony
Posts: 996
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Ignore chicken little, insofar as the boat being competent to cross to Bimini. Kidding, BZT, I think your intentions are good. This is a short, easy passage in proper conditions, and the potter is suitable. Not ideal, but all of us compromise in our boat designs, your's being very portable - but light.

I sailed a potter as my first boat, but moved up as I took it offshore more and more. Had some great adventures, and could drift out to sea in the tiniest little inlets that no other boats used. I also used the mothership for oystering, now I have to use the inflatable - which is suboptimal.

One week is not likely to get you there and back. Just have a backup in the keys, or the everglades if it's blowing. Lots of good cruising over there, but most of us in bigger boats would time that short crossing carefully too.

Plan it out, even if just an exercise for a future passage to Bimini when you have more time, at a better time of year. And plan a fallback, so that you can use your boat somewhere in S Florida when the right weather window does not present. Having to sail back in marginal conditions would be a nightmare, even in my boat it could become vomit city. As long as you respect the design limitations of the boat, you'll be fine. There is so much fun you can have in that little boat, I miss having one for the mountain lakes around my house.
__________________
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:55   #59
Registered User
 
JK n Smitty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hingham, MA
Boat: Catalina 310
Posts: 637
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Plan it out, even if just an exercise for a future passage to Bimini when you have more time, at a better time of year.

Serious question. What is the better time of year? I thought most of the cruising fleet crossed during December and January.

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58   #60
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 89
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Thanks for supplying your unsupported assertion.

Many very experience sailors and yacht designers don't share your definition of the crossing from the US to the Bahamas as "blue water". In fact many consider crossings that can be completed in a day coastal cruising. Neither of the terms blue water or coastal cruising are truly defined anywhere.

But hey, your boat your choice.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hmm... my boat draws 6'. Anything greater than that I consider Blue Water.

All kidding aside, having been caught out in the stream and knowing first hand what it can do and has done to others is where I'm coming from.
I am sure the Potter can make it if he gets his weather windows, but remember that's plural.

To be honest you have to ask yourself, would you go across? If so, I applaud you. I have come to the conclusion that as far as blue water and boats go, bigger is (depending on design) always better. That teacup is not my cup of tea for that type of crossing.

BZT
PS Btw, Zzzzzzzzz.... was my way of say good night.
__________________

__________________
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bimini, sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advisability of sailing Borneo to Australia between early November and mid January Shan Seamanship & Boat Handling 10 01-08-2014 16:32
Advisability of Depending on Satellite Comms & Knowing the Transmitter Works tbodine88 Marine Electronics 90 05-06-2014 18:28
West Wight Potter Eric Monohull Sailboats 12 05-04-2012 17:39
December 2011 - Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini Trip ItalianRacer Cruising News & Events 0 02-12-2011 06:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.