Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:50   #46

Re: Advice for Hurricane Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincoln04078 View Post
Thanks for all the wonderful input. It is great to see cruisers helping cruisers. I have no suggestions but hope all with be well with our boat that is sitting on a mooring in Man O'War Cay in the Abacos. We made it through Irene and Sandy so please wish us well with Matthew.
Good luck to everyone who might be affected by this storm and thanks to all for putting is your thoughts as to how best to prepare.
Fair winds.
Wow.. I do wish you all the best and hope your boat survives to sail another day. Sandy was no comparison to Matthew, but Irene had sustained winds of 120 mph passing Abacos. Matthew is definitely going to be a test, and I hope your mooring has been maintained properly and your batteries are fresh and hold up because both will be pushed to their limits. Matthew has completed the eye transformation cycle, has increased forward speed to 9 knots, currently has sustained winds if 145 mph gusting to a whopping 175 and the only this that may decrease his strength is passing over Cuba before running up the Bahama chain. Pressure has also dropped some this morning which is not a good sign for decreasing in strength.

I do wish your boat the best of luck and ask that you let us know if she survived the monster.. BTW, Our company makes the fresh water for Abacos and I can have one of our men check your boat after the storm if you wish. Post up a couple of pictures of her and let me know her name if you care to.

Jsta_Rebel
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 17:55   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FWIW.....

Our big boat is on the hard in a yard in New Bern, NC. We are planning to be there Oct. 15ish. to relaunch. I know the yard is busy pulling boats now. It's pretty hard to see Matthew being much of a problem that far inland unless it strays far from projected course.

It's about a 12 hour drive, if I need to do it I will.

Bugger!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 19:03   #48

I'm sure that someone has already told you, but the big problem with New Bern is that the water is forced into this steadily narrowing Neuse. Make sure make that you have long springer lines. This is one situation where one must consider staying with your boat to adjust your lines. If you are in the large municipal Marina the threat of the rising water is great.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 19:12   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's on the hard in Bridgeton.
Old 04-10-2016, 19:23   #50

I haven't read all the posts so excuse me if this is redundant. There are plenty of good "hurricane holes" near where you are that you can drop anchor and your boat should ride out the storm just fine. I would not, under any circumstance, tie up to a dock. That's just asking for trouble.

I'm getting ready to move my boat on Thursday from my dock to the middle of Club Foot creek. All of the boats from our marina will fit nicely there and should be quite protected.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 19:41   #51

Boat: Catalina 470

He said that his boat is on the hard!

You should be fine, as least as fine as you can get. If you can make the drive to check that the boat is properly tied down and that the stands are secured to minimize the chance of them working loose, it might not be a bad idea. Certainly you'd have more peace of mind if you personally check everything. Also a good chance to remove anything topside that could catch the wind.

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:23   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Survive sometimes, but not always. Depends on the storm surge.

When Sandy blew through NYC pushing a fourteen foot surge the boats that hauled out got lifted off their jack stands and shoved into a big pile over at the boat yard across from our marina.

Boats that stayed in the water fairer much better.
Yes, Delancey, got that. In the place in Fiji, it is a bit different, in that it is inside a barrier reef, and with offshore reefs as well. So, yes, if there were enough water, something similar could happen, but so far, knock wood, it has not.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ann
Old 05-10-2016, 03:26   #53

Do hurricanes listen to advice?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:05   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Do hurricanes listen to advice?
They listen, but rarely follow...:
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:35   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
He said that his boat is on the hard!

You should be fine, as least as fine as you can get. If you can make the drive to check that the boat is properly tied down and that the stands are secured to minimize the chance of them working loose, it might not be a bad idea. Certainly you'd have more peace of mind if you personally check everything. Also a good chance to remove anything topside that could catch the wind.

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks,

This mornings plot is looking a bit better. We left her pretty clean, head sails off, main in cover and wrapped with one line. I could take the Bimini down, remove the Porte Bote, and strip the head sail.

Matthew is now predicted to slow and turn Eastward. I'll wait 24 hours before leaping into action.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:26   #56

Boat: Santana2023

I second what was said about removing the canvas. Doesn't take long to remove and put it back up, and regardless of how tight you secure the job, the right angle and strength with get between the seems and destroy it while adding surface area to your rig. I always remove all canvas for tropical storms and hurricanes.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 14:29   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It's a good idea to make sure your automatic bilge pump has power to it, and that the necessary seacock is open. Our mast drains into our shower sump, which has an automatic bilge pump. Ensure there is no bilge grunge, hair, or soap scum in there to clog it.

Cockpit drains should also be clear, the rain needs to be able to drain away.
Old 05-10-2016, 14:58   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_NC View Post
I am in North Carolina and am somewhat of a novice with respect to sailboats and small watercraft in general. I have read a few of the previous threads about preparation for heavy weather while docked. I intend to double up lines, lash down the mainsail, put out extra fenders, etc., however, I thought I would ask about advice for a boat tied up on only one side.

The boat is tied up to the dock on one side, the additional pilings on the outboard side of the boat were supposed to be put in this week (fortunately) but the state regulator shot down the placement of the new pilings (unfortunately). I would have to relocate or perform extensive modifications on the existing dock to satisfy the regulator. Anyway, when the wind comes out of the northeast it pushes water in the Pamilco Sound. With tropical storm Hermine (maybe 30 knot winds), the water level rose about 3 feet. Even if Matthew is somewhat off the NC shore, I suspect the water level in the Pamlico Sound will rise even more and the wind will likely to be stronger.

I have a Mantus 25lb. anchor and a lighter Danforth anchor. I was contemplating taking them out with a kayak maybe 25 or 30 feet outboard of the boat and dropping them and try to set them with the sailboat winches. The intent is to try to keep the sailboat from banging up against the dock. Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike
The latest from NOAA, projection looks like you have little to worry about. It is expected to hang a right starting about Savanna. Don't let your guard. down.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07   #59

Boat: Santana2023

Looks like it could hook back into FL doing a 360. Hope not for their sake.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:43   #60

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Here's what Matthew's doing at Nassau Harbour Club, our usual stop when clearing in in the Bahamas.
https://weather.com/news/news/hurricane-matthew-bahamas

And the water's really up, those docks are normally about seven feet above the water.

Tags
hurricane