Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 10:22   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks jim!
apart from accidently dropping the ipad that had all the tidal info on it for havannah passage!

i think they are pretty much fine,and i would guess it will be a very quick stop,but i thought i would mention their arrival as an update.

vic will probably be online once they get in,and have more specific questions,which can be dealt with via pm if needed,or relayed via sailmail.

thanks for your concern! and hopefully you guys will get to meet up some time in the future,i spent 4 pleasant days with them driving round holland when they were looking for a CT in europe last year,all the best alex
OOps! That's one of the problems with electronic storage of essential data!

FWIW, we've been through Havannah in just about all tidal states, and have not found it to be as horrible as it sounds in the pilots. If entering when the flow is eastward (ebbing) if in daylight it is possible to hug the northern shore (easily visible coral banks) and escape the adverse current safely. Following the leads down the center of the passage there can be standing waves in some areas should the wind and flow be opposed, but in a big boat like Vic's these will not be deadly, and the areas are pretty short. If one is lucky enough to arrived with a flood it can be a great ride inward!

And we have indeed met the VV's a few years ago at Lake Macquarie. They came 'round to have a stickybeak at Insatiable II and a natter about cruising. Good times...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-11-2013, 11:59   #62

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Jim is right about Port Moselle marina....it is the place to check in & out if their stay is relatively short. The marina staff are a great help with all formalities.
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote