Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: About To Jump Oceans

happy to help!
any luck with the sour dough and war on fruit flies!
i have been following your further progress on the weebly site.
the catamaran is now in falmouth,after a monumental effort by myself and long suffering crew,nick(sciddoo)!

sailmail if you need further info or help,though i am off on a delivery after the 16th for 2 weeks or so.......love to deck scrubber.

ps do stop in suvarov atoll if you get a chance,no check in fees,and a welcome break on the way to tonga, cheers alex
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26   #47
Registered User
 
DSDman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 570
Images: 16
Vic! Glad you made it safely. Jennifer can't believe you spent 31 days on the boat without getting off. She won't believe me no matter what I say. Please tell her that it is possible....it's a sail boat right?
__________________

__________________
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,467
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Well done so far, Vic! We too hope to be back by Xmas, but will stay in Tassie 'till fall. Will you be cruising then or back on the Lake?

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25   #49
Registered User
 
svseachange's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East Coast of Australia
Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Posts: 781
Thanks for the update, we are one year behind you and enjoy your updates.
__________________
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:35   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: About To Jump Oceans

awesome work!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52   #51
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Good Stuff Vic!

Thanks for the updates!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 02:26   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: About To Jump Oceans

as of today vic and sandy on "Wind Wanderer"
were at 16.20'S and 169.06W,heading 265 @5knots
expecting to reach Savu Savu,or Latouka,fiji on sunday/monday.

their generator has broken down,and hope to get it repaired in suva or nadi
so if there is anybody from CF in fiji at the moment i'm sure they would be pleased for any contacts

otherwise every thing is fine onboard,they were heading for tonga,but due to an auto pilot fault,and the generator repair have decided that suva is a better option for repairs.

cheers alex
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 05:28   #53
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
as of today vic and sandy on "Wind Wanderer"
were at 16.20'S and 169.06W,heading 265 @5knots
expecting to reach Savu Savu,or Latouka,fiji on sunday/monday.

their generator has broken down,and hope to get it repaired in suva or nadi
so if there is anybody from CF in fiji at the moment i'm sure they would be pleased for any contacts

otherwise every thing is fine onboard,they were heading for tonga,but due to an auto pilot fault,and the generator repair have decided that suva is a better option for repairs.

cheers alex
Thanks Alex, for the updates on this thread but also for your help, suggestions and research along the way. You're a great pal.

We got into Savu Savu, Fiji, yesterday evening, Monday here but felt like Sunday on the boat. Crossed 180 meridian and lost a day. That hurts at this age!
It was a 15 day voyage from Bora Bora and in many ways tougher than the 31 days from Ecuador to the Marquesas. I'll stick a post on trip on the website blog for anyone interested to read it.
But Savu Savu is great. Really friendly locals, the health, immigration, customs officials all came out to the boat, one at a time, and all barefoot!
It was great. Fiji $ are just over half US$ so things here are cheap. We've got a good mooring for F$10/night. Local restaurants have meals for F$10-20.

Unfortunately we've got to move on around to Nadi as soon as our cruising permit arrives... probably tomorrow. It's challenging... the water here is littered with reefs and coral pinnacles, poorly marked and charts are not accurate. I'm getting waypoints for the passages through from a local guy tomorrow so that should help.

Vic
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 05:35   #54
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well done so far, Vic! We too hope to be back by Xmas, but will stay in Tassie 'till fall. Will you be cruising then or back on the Lake?

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,

We're expecting to leave the lake and head north around April sometime. Nothing decided for sure but that's the thinking at the moment.
I do hope you and Ann are around the lake before we leave.
What are the chances?

Vic
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 05:36   #55
Registered User
 
Jimbo485's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: some ocean down under
Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Posts: 1,247
Bula, Vic and Sandy!

Enjoy those cheap Fiji Golds. The kava is alright, too, at the market there in Savu Savu.
__________________

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 10:19   #56
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Thanks Alex, for the updates on this thread but also for your help, suggestions and research along the way. You're a great pal.

We got into Savu Savu, Fiji, yesterday evening, Monday here but felt like Sunday on the boat. Crossed 180 meridian and lost a day. That hurts at this age!
It was a 15 day voyage from Bora Bora and in many ways tougher than the 31 days from Ecuador to the Marquesas. I'll stick a post on trip on the website blog for anyone interested to read it.
But Savu Savu is great. Really friendly locals, the health, immigration, customs officials all came out to the boat, one at a time, and all barefoot!
It was great. Fiji $ are just over half US$ so things here are cheap. We've got a good mooring for F$10/night. Local restaurants have meals for F$10-20.

Unfortunately we've got to move on around to Nadi as soon as our cruising permit arrives... probably tomorrow. It's challenging... the water here is littered with reefs and coral pinnacles, poorly marked and charts are not accurate. I'm getting waypoints for the passages through from a local guy tomorrow so that should help.

Vic
good luck!
i gather you intend going via the bligh water passage over the top?
make sure you have good light i have heard it can be tricky.

hopefully the generator will be something simple to fix,and not expensive!
will check the blog
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:15   #57
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,248
Re: About To Jump Oceans

VV. I thought Lake Macquarie was some backwater off Sydney.
I Googled and lo; its bigger than I thought.

"Boating activity on Lake Macquarie
Within the Lake Macquarie and Wyong local government, areas there are 22,638 registered boat owners and 42,701boat licensees.
Given that a significant boating population lives within the vicinity of the lake, the demand for moorings is high. During the last ten-year period, there has been an 11% growth in demand for mooring sites in Lake Macquarie. Currently, there are six (6) Priority (Waiting) List areas on Lake Macquarie. A Priority (Waiting) List exists when the demand for moorings exceeds the number of sites available.
Currently Lake Macquarie has 2,175 registered moorings. These moorings are situated in 42 distinct mooring areas that cover a total area of 716 hectares of the 11,000ha."
__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:29   #58
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: About To Jump Oceans

vic and sandy should be arriving in Noumea,new caledonia thursday 21 nov from fiji

any current tips,contacts or reccomendations for new caledonia?
appreciated,can fwd via sailmail
cheers alex
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:25   #59
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,467
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
vic and sandy should be arriving in Noumea,new caledonia thursday 21 nov from fiji

any current tips,contacts or reccomendations for new caledonia?
appreciated,can fwd via sailmail
cheers alex
G'Day Alex,

That's a pretty general query... no idea what he might need or want. Ann and I have spent lots of time there and can answer specific questions and provide a local contact name if needed. Don't want to make his details public, but will PM if wanted.

General advice: once you get tired of fresh croissants and brie, crowds, and the nasty smell of Marina Moselle, heading north will quickly get you into unpopulated anchorages and nice scenery... less than a day sail away. Going south and east keeps you in the madding throng, but can still be nice... just relatively crowded.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 09:25   #60
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: About To Jump Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Alex,

That's a pretty general query... no idea what he might need or want. Ann and I have spent lots of time there and can answer specific questions and provide a local contact name if needed. Don't want to make his details public, but will PM if wanted.

General advice: once you get tired of fresh croissants and brie, crowds, and the nasty smell of Marina Moselle, heading north will quickly get you into unpopulated anchorages and nice scenery... less than a day sail away. Going south and east keeps you in the madding throng, but can still be nice... just relatively crowded.

Cheers,

Jim
thanks jim!
apart from accidently dropping the ipad that had all the tidal info on it for havannah passage!

i think they are pretty much fine,and i would guess it will be a very quick stop,but i thought i would mention their arrival as an update.

vic will probably be online once they get in,and have more specific questions,which can be dealt with via pm if needed,or relayed via sailmail.

thanks for your concern! and hopefully you guys will get to meet up some time in the future,i spent 4 pleasant days with them driving round holland when they were looking for a CT in europe last year,all the best alex
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.