Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 08:50   #166

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Abandon Ship! The Rescue of the Crew of Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
... There are endless examples of boats that were abandoned, crew were lost during the process, and then the boat turns up later afloat. So no matter how terrible it is onboard, or how battered the crew is, pushing the red button may actually be putting you in greater danger.
When I am king, folks who cannot take care of themselves physically or psychologically can't go offshore. Consider the folks who can't climb up the cargo net off the side of the rescuing freighter. They have no business at sea. The plane from wherever to Tahiti is faster and probably cheaper.

Take a cruise ship if ya gotta go by water. Or if you insist on taking a chance, take it. No buttons please.

And would some of us stop telling us judgemental types that we weren't there. Well, no sheet. I think it's reasonably obvious we weren't there.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:10   #167
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Re: Abandon Ship! The Rescue of the Crew of Wolfhound

Its funny how some of us like to tell some of us how some of us should determine what some of us should have a right to do.

Good thing that when some of us are at sea the rest of us aren't there.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:16   #168
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Its funny how some of us like to tell some of us how some of us should determine what some of us should have a right to do.

I can think of all sorts of scenarios that could keep someone from climbing up a net. I have CP but can move around my boat quite safely. Climb up the side of a net on a rocking ship in a rolling ocean might be suicide for me even though sailing is not.

I recently badly sprained a shoulder. If that had happened at sea, no way could I climb up that net. Maybe I got sick. It's possible to get so seasick that you become dangerously dehydrated.

Ya takes yer boat out, and then ya takes yer chances. What we do is at least a little dangerous all the time. One misstep between dock and boat, and you land in the water between two big, heavy hard things -- dock and boat. There's barnacles, and maybe you hit your head on the dock. Maybe no one heard you go in. You're dead, but you died doing, or preparing to do, what you love.

We're all going to die, but we need to live first.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:20   #169

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
One misstep between dock and boat, and you land in the water between two big, heavy hard things -- dock and boat. There's barnacles, and maybe you hit your head on the dock. Maybe no one heard you go in. You're dead, but you died doing, or preparing to do, what you love.
Lots more cruisers die in marina accidents, falling out of the dinghy, or hitting a reef than die offshore in storms.
Old 20-04-2013, 09:22   #170
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Lots more cruisers die in marina accidents, falling out of the dinghy, or hitting a reef than die offshore in storms.

Offshore is a much safer place to be in a storm anyway. No one would have died in the original incident here if the boat had stayed out of the shallows.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:23   #171

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Abandon Ship! The Rescue of the Crew of Wolfhound

[QUOTE=foolishsailor;1215344] ...Good thing that when some of us are at sea the rest of us aren't there.[/QUOTE]

Yep !!!! A certain person was at the top of my list.

Peace bro. It's nice to be nice. Good on ya.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:23   #172
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
And would some of us stop telling us judgemental types that we weren't there. Well, no sheet. I think it's reasonably obvious we weren't there.
Yes, I did notice (and enjoy) the humour in your post , but nonetheless you have incidently(? ) raised an important point (that has not also been covered!).......

....during that storm many boats and many hundreds of lives were saved by other Skippers without needing to be rescued.....simply by not being there, and likely boat tucked up in port and crew sleeping soundly ashore. Seemples .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:28   #173

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The bottom line in this story is still very simple: North Atlantic, February. It all starts from there.
Old 20-04-2013, 10:59   #174

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

Welllll, pilgrim ...... I really respect Blue Crab's point.

If you've got those kind of limitations, and insist on taking those chances, that's your right.

BUT, when you hit the red button, everything changes!!! Now you've stepped outside your rights....IMHO.

Better to have kept their heads in those dark places and rode it out.....
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 15:23   #175
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:

Wow that sounded like something from back in the 70's in our college daze philosophy class.

I may need to diagram that one...
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 01:31   #176

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

This sounds a bit like "those of us that know what we are doing get really pissed off when someone acts like they know what they are doing"

Having said that - I do happen to agree Foolish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 22:06   #177

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I'm new here and don't want to alienate anyone, but I have to say, it's a matter of too much money and ego and not so much brains. With a east wind who would not have made for the Cheapeake? Just sayin tha'ts all. I read that the boat is still afloat off of Bermuda.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 01:44   #178
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

When I am king, folks who cannot take care of themselves physically or psychologically can't go offshore. Consider the folks who can't climb up the cargo net off the side of the rescuing freighter. They have no business at sea. The plane from wherever to Tahiti is faster and probably cheaper.

Take a cruise ship if ya gotta go by water. Or if you insist on taking a chance, take it. No buttons please.

Well that eliminates disabled sailors , elderly sailors , unfit sailors. Sailors with vertigo , Perhaps you'd just reccomend they be turned in Soylent green.

I'd prefer not to live in your world , that's for sure
Dave
Old 24-05-2013, 01:45   #179
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
I'm new here and don't want to alienate anyone, but I have to say, it's a matter of too much money and ego and not so much brains. With a east wind who would not have made for the Cheapeake? Just sayin tha'ts all. I read that the boat is still afloat off of Bermuda.
You're right about one thing

Dave
Old 24-05-2013, 01:51   #180
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdboater View Post
Reading this thread, then re-reading this thread, has been extremely entertaining. One statement haunts me about this group of men in a boat...... I'm not really comfortable stating 'this group of SAILORS'. The haunting statement is....'they were experienced sailors'......

One contributor pointed out they may have been experienced in sailing races, short trips, etc, but not ocean crossing type trips. Seems like an excellent observation, probably the only one that carries any kind of logical explanation for how this went down.

So they really weren't experienced for a crossing, and on top of that, they were silly & irresponsible, even to the point of being outright stupid, to have been caught with so many issues they were unprepared for. And outright arrogant to think they could undertake such a trip being so unprepared, and lastly, very irresponsible, since they gave no thought to the safety of the US Coast Guard personnel whom are only at danger because of their stupidity.
Just clear a few points. Firstly the skipper is a very experienced sailor and not just racing

Secondly the USCG didn't rescue them.

Dave

Tags
crew, rescue