Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 18:39   #16

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Abandon Ship! The Rescue of the Crew of Wolfhound

Wonder how they did it back in the early 1800s before shipboard engines, electrical gadgets, and such.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Wonder how they did it back in the early 1800s before shipboard engines, electrical gadgets, and such.
Astrid,

Two outcomes back then I think....

1. WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!

2. (more often than not) ..... CRUNCH! %@#$@!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Abandon Ship! The Rescue of the Crew of Wolfhound

I sometimes wonder if some of my posts on threads like these lead folk to think I'm full of myself....
I AM.......
But that's not why I post... I look on these things as an opportunity to chuck out possible solutions/idea's not as a 'Wise after the event' smart ass thing... more as a review of tactic's that can be put to use to avoid/delay abandoning the boat prematurely if she's in no immediate danger of sinking.. as appears to be the case here.
However solutions are only 50% of the equation... the other 50% depends on the skipper and his physical and mental fortitude in the face of adversity.. trying to solve things is good... you'd be surprised how much a small victory making something work can boost morale... which keeps you plugging on.
So folks... what could have been done... what would/could someone else do in this situation in the future..
Bodging is good if it save's the boat...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:04   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I sometimes wonder if some of my posts on threads like these lead folk to think I'm full of myself....
I AM.......
But that's not why I post... I look on these things as an opportunity to chuck out possible solutions/idea's not as a 'Wise after the event' smart ass thing... more as a review of tactic's that can be put to use to avoid/delay abandoning the boat prematurely if she's in no immediate danger of sinking.. as appears to be the case here.
However solutions are only 50% of the equation... the other 50% depends on the skipper and his physical and mental fortitude in the face of adversity.. trying to solve things is good... you'd be surprised how much a small victory making something work can boost morale... which keeps you plugging on.
So folks... what could have been done... what would/could someone else do in this situation in the future..
Bodging is good if it save's the boat...
I was looking to inform you that I actually think that you post because you enjoy being full of yourself... but upon carefully re-reading your post I see that you already have that covered....

You do however redeem yourself by providing incredibly... mostly... marginally... helpful advice most of the time....

OK... so in this case... I agree 100% with your 50%.... Small victories are indeed a good snowball rolling....

(whatever... You know I actually agree with you at least 99%... 95%... 90%.... of the time)

Old 08-04-2013, 05:08   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
The good old days were not really that good. They lost an incredible number of ships and crew. They also saw the need to invent insurance. Sure the men were tough - the results just weren't great for many.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The skipper is a very experienced sailor.

On the face of it a big Swan like that should be capable of being managed through that weather and cold food is better then no food.

But , I always think a huge factor for a skipper is the physical and mental well-being of the crew. Most crew are often very inexperienced, picked often because they have the time rather then the experience. Once morale crashes it can be very difficult to continue.

But Id never second guess or armchair theorise any incident like this , I wasnt there.

The gas issue doesn't seem to be a propane switch on the cylinder, more like an internal safety cutoff on the stove itself.

Again , how many of you have been in 90 degree knockdowns "out there" in bad weather . ( Im not talking about racing round the cans knockdowns). People get scared fast in those conditions.

Dave
Old 08-04-2013, 05:33   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Abandon Ship! The Rescue of the Crew of Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The skipper is a very experienced sailor.

On the face of it a big Swan like that should be capable of being managed through that weather and cold food is better then no food.

But , I always think a huge factor for a skipper is the physical and mental well-being of the crew. Most crew are often very inexperienced, picked often because they have the time rather then the experience. Once morale crashes it can be very difficult to continue.

But Id never second guess or armchair theorise any incident like this , I wasnt there.

The gas issue doesn't seem to be a propane switch on the cylinder, more like an internal safety cutoff on the stove itself.

Again , how many of you have been in 90 degree knockdowns "out there" in bad weather . ( Im not talking about racing round the cans knockdowns). People get scared fast in those conditions.

Dave
The skipper self confessed had never sailed 'OCEAN'... coastal experience is a different animal with help just on the horizon and that's what folk NEED to understand.. seems to many set off in what they consider 'Bells and Whistles' boats and no clue as to what can happen out there when the **** hits the fan...
A coupla years back Atoll commented that I'd come through the school of hard knocks... very true... I cross the Biscay in December gale's in 21-22ftrs and have crossed/sailed all but 1 ocean.
No Swans... just borderline scrapyard boats held together with duct tape.. apart from the occasional well prepped delivery
Oceans don't respect 'Experienced skippers'... or folk like me come to that... they'll kick the sh*t outa anyone... its not how good a sailor you are... how good a survivor is what matters..
That's what should be discussed.. if the crews morale is low I send em below and do the watches myself.. have been known to spend weeks at a time with 1-2hours naps in every 24.. looking after the crew involves a lot more than a Mayday when the going gets tough.
But... WTF... maybe one day you guys can have a ball dissing me.. if I ever lose a boat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:03   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But... WTF... maybe one day you guys can have a ball dissing me.. if I ever lose a boat..
Not saying it will never happen.... But if I were in deeeeep doooo out in the blue.... AND... I had a choice of skipper/crew to share in the attempt to right the ship so to speak.... I would pick you to be there to help straighten it out.....

Old 08-04-2013, 06:05   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Not having been there, tough to second guess. A big swan like that should have been able to take the knocks (but the crew might not have been able to).

A February journey from New England to the Bahamas?

Really?

Attempting this, you can be sure of one thing - it is gonna be tough. The weather will be rough and so will the seas. This is not a journey I would want to try.

It is difficutt to understand that they carried no handheld GPS or a spare battery for the handheld VHF. A boat that had been laid up a year - yes a cautious skipper would at least have checked the diesel tank for sludge etc.

Shame about he boat, maybe someone gets lucky and spots it before it goes aground. Nice boat to salvage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having read the account of the voyage it is best described as a cluster**** run by hooray henry's,

not taking enough food to get them as far as the azores and being forced to stop in bermuda and lose a perfectly seaworthy boat with plenty of extra sails,just goes to show the caliber of "experinced push button sailors out there"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:26   #26
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Looking at the crew, I wonder if age becomes a factor in some cases. I would hesitate to go to sea in a boat crewed strictly by men in their sixties and up. Obviously generalizations are never a good idea, and I've known plenty of sixty five year old men who could work like a horse with little sleep. But I've also known plenty who get tired easily, and nothing has a more negative impact on morale than exhaustion. It may also have added to the skippers level of concern. A bunch of old timers getting thrown around inside a boat in rough weather could be a lot riskier than the same situation with a younger crew. Much more potential for broken limbs. None of these guys look to be in great shape either. Not a single burly weather beaten guy among them.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46   #27

Boat: Bristol 34

Normally I'd pass on commenting on a situation like this, for we were not there and therefore lack sufficient insight to critique or criticize.

HOWEVER..... one thing does come to mind when reading and re-reading the article:

Money is no substitute for common sense, self sufficiency or even modest skills. And it seems in this case that there was a lot more of the former than the latter.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:48   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
not taking enough food to get them as far as the azores and being forced to stop in bermuda and lose a perfectly seaworthy boat with plenty of extra sails,just goes to show the caliber of "experinced push button sailors out there"
err they were going to teh Carribean Atoll!!!.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:49   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The skipper self confessed had never sailed 'OCEAN'... coastal experience is a different animal with help just on the horizon and that's what folk NEED to understand.
The man had sailed all over Northern Europe boatman, hes a very experienced boat owner for many years.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
good a sailor you are... how good a survivor is what matters..
That's what should be discussed.. if the crews morale is low I send em below and do the watches myself.. have been known to spend weeks at a time with 1-2hours naps in every 24.. looking after the crew involves a lot more than a Mayday when the going gets tough.
You're lucky , I sleep in box in middle of road. arrgh http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/m...kshiremen.html

dave

Tags
crew, rescue