Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 20:51   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: A Reef Encounter

To paraphrase Croc Dundee, that's not a reef encounter, this is a reef encounter...

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news...to-ro/3506967/

Not sure if the bit poking our the bottom is a part of the boat or the remains of a cardinal mark.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 23:21   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

That's a nasty rock that one, easy to miss the post with the island in the background and if you go around the east side to go to Fitzalen Passage you need to be careful to miss Surprise Rock which is also a nasty sneaky piece of work.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 23:45   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
That's a nasty rock that one, easy to miss the post with the island in the background and if you go around the east side to go to Fitzalen Passage you need to be careful to miss Surprise Rock which is also a nasty sneaky piece of work.

I reckon Double Rock off the NE side of Hook is the nastiest; Especially so if you've just endured going around Pinnacle Point in brisk wind and tide conditions!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 21:03   #19

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

So you want to see a real reef encounter?

http://www.wtip.org/sites/default/files/images/cox.jpg
Old 05-09-2018, 22:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Doesn’t look like there’s a lot of structure there.
This.
A lot of structure adds weight.
Maybe a racer fin keel should be magnetically attached? You could just find it and stick it back on.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 22:21   #21

Boat: Outremer 55L

I’m embarrassed to admit this but it seems appropriate for this thread. This is what our starboard bow looked like after running into a shoreside reef at around 4 knots. The knuckle is about 3cm thick of solid fibreglass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	176874

Fortunately we hit with only the starboard bow and bounced right off into navigable water. The bows each have a watertight crash compartment in the lower half of each bow and back about 1.5m, and the starboard one rapidly filled with water to the waterline, and then filled up while we sailed the 40nm back to our berth and a hail out location.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:28   #22

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
This.
A lot of structure adds weight.
Maybe a racer fin keel should be magnetically attached? You could just find it and stick it back on.
What an interesting idea - kinda like rubber bands holding the wings on model airplanes. It’d play havoc on the compasses, I think. 🤔😆
Old 07-09-2018, 04:39   #23

Boat: Tartan 40
A Reef Encounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m embarrassed to admit this but it seems appropriate for this thread. This is what our starboard bow looked like after running into a shoreside reef at around 4 knots. The knuckle is about 3cm thick of solid fibreglass.

Attachment 176874

Fortunately we hit with only the starboard bow and bounced right off into navigable water. The bows each have a watertight crash compartment in the lower half of each bow and back about 1.5m, and the starboard one rapidly filled with water to the waterline, and then filled up while we sailed the 40nm back to our berth and a hail out location.

Wow. I wonder if a small performance compromise to round the knuckle to allow the bow to ride up on a rock/container/log would be worthwhile. I don’t mean on your boat but in general.

I hit a floating dock at 3 knots last year when my shift cable broke while docking. my old style S&S raked bow boat just rode up onto the dock like a breaching whale, and then slid back in. Just scratches.
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe there was a pretty big lawsuit, I assume some cause was found?
Normally a private lawsuit would follow a successful prosecution which has now finished and there may yet be lawsuit. Doug was found not guilty to man slaughter but guilty of failing to ensure the safety of the crew. Company fined £50k.

https://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...ki-trial-66020
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:22   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Normally a private lawsuit would follow a successful prosecution which has now finished and there may yet be lawsuit. Doug was found not guilty to man slaughter but guilty of failing to ensure the safety of the crew. Company fined £50k.

https://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...ki-trial-66020
I met Doug a few times in the mid 2000's. At the time he was known for running one of the more professional sail and powerboat training organisations. However, the credit crunch from 2008 onwards finished most of the small businesses that worked in the Solents leisure industry.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

What's up with the void in the keel's root chord? You can see fully developed Zebra Mussels right about where the inner hull grid's longitudinal frame would be.

Matt
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21   #27

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We sailed through Green Bay late in June this year to avoid bad weather on Lake Michigan. It requires constant vigilance and an accurate and updated position fix. There are many reefs, shoals, and underwater rocks. I would never count solely on a GPS Chartplotter without verifying a fix on paper charts. Fortunately, no one was hurt. It's everyone's worst nightmare to sink/lose a boat. It can happen in a matter of seconds. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Rognvald

Tags
enc