Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-10-2015, 10:26   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A real problem with the dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I hate to say it, but daily crunches and planks would help a lot. If your core is strong it will improve or eliminate backache. I also use a product called Spine Worx http://www.amazon.com/Spineworx-SW10.../dp/B000F8UBG0 it's literally kept me away from the chiropractor, I used to have to visit him on a regular basis. (I have no financial interest in that product, other than it saves me thousands in chiropractor bills for alignments.)
Unfortunately this is the truth. Have had back issues for years now. When I go to Physical Therapy for a few weeks and they force me to do the appropriate exercise, it goes mostly away. When I stop, it comes back.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 10:54   #17

Boat: Grampian 26

We were sailing on the south coast of Lake Ontario this summer. At dock one of our neighbours with a hard bottomed dinghy put two lawn chairs on the boat. I inquired why the lawn chairs and he said that both he and his wife had bad backs and the only way they could dinghy was sitting in a chair.

Old 18-10-2015, 11:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

I usually sit on the seat and face forward, and that's fairly comfortable. But about ten years ago, I had an Avon with an air floor (any brand with an air floor would be the same) and I used to sit down on the floor. It was an unbelievably soft ride, just like being on airshocks. I could tie up that dinghy and lie down on the floor and just go to sleep. Any position was comfortable, and if I had a back problem, that's precisely where I would go to solve it.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 18-10-2015, 12:28   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

An inflatable floor helps...you can kneel or sit on the floor for more comfortable positions.

Also, rowing is really good for the back...builds your core strength. Just because you have an outboard doesn't mean you can't row. Avon inflatables have good, wooden oars, suitable for actual use. (many inflatable dinghies have oars that break within 5 minutes of actual hard rowing)

Finally, the big money solution, a rib with a steering wheel and big comfy chair.
Old 18-10-2015, 14:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

This was a real problem for me when we had to go in and out a ways to shore and back on a routine basis. Really got a crick in the neck and it was very bad on my back. I never found a really good solution. I don't recommend standing up as you are very unstable and can get thrown very easy, and usually you can't use the kill switch because the lanyard is too short (you could fix that of course). Especially not good in choppy conditions. A forward seat like on big fancy dinks would be ideal but only found on big boats with dink cranes/davits.
Old 18-10-2015, 14:19   #21

Boat: Pearson 530

I've seen center console RIB's but they may be a bit pricey. I also saw an old gent with a granny bar just behind the seat so he could stand aft and lean against it.

All U Get
Old 18-10-2015, 14:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
I use a tiller extender for the Outboard. I found mine at West Marine and extends so I can sit facing forward without twisting.
We bought a length of PVC pipe to do just that.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 17:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Unfortunately this is the truth. Have had back issues for years now. When I go to Physical Therapy for a few weeks and they force me to do the appropriate exercise, it goes mostly away. When I stop, it comes back.
Cheechako and SailFast Tri are giving you the real scoop. Weak abdominal muscles are the root of most back problems. Crunches help a lot.
Old 19-10-2015, 02:21   #24

I'm nowhere close to weak and have 60lbs dumbbells aboard I work out with every other day aboard. I am in peak shape and I'm somewhat on the young side.

What I do have is scoliosis, which might be a contributing factor.

Anyway, things are worse. I hadn't had restless leg syndrome (a terrible sensation in the legs that makes you feel you need to move them) since I was last on boats full time.

It's come roaring back (first time in 4-5 years), after about half a dozen dinghy rides.

This kept me up half the night tonight and gave me a terrible night's sleep.

And wow, boat guy. You built a similar dinghy to a proa design i came up with. I may have to have one built. This is the solution, i think. A long hull, non planing dinghy.

I'm done building boats but would sure like to have one built.

Anyone know of some reasonably priced boat builders out there, even amatures, who could whip out a dinghy on the side? I'd do it myself, but i have developed a pretty bad epoxy allergy.
Old 19-10-2015, 06:30   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I hadn't had restless leg syndrome (a terrible sensation in the legs that makes you feel you need to move them) since I was last on boats full time.
It's come roaring back (first time in 4-5 years), after about half a dozen dinghy rides ...
Do you use antinausea drugs (prochlorperazine or metoclopramide), which may may aggravate RLS symptoms?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 14:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Do you use antinausea drugs (prochlorperazine or metoclopramide), which may may aggravate RLS symptoms?
No drugs, no meds. All organic foods.

The RLS is coming as a direct result of bad dinghy rides hitting nerves wrong in my lower back. I also feel hot sensations down my legs during the rides. Like electricity.

I need a better dinghy setup... chair and/or displacement boat.
Old 19-10-2015, 19:04   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I had the new dinghy in the water today. Did not have my GPS aboard but runs about 12knots with a 5hp Yamaha with 200 lbs crew. Seems to do about 8 knots at 1/2 throttle. With my 200 lb neighbor along also, it would still semi plane at around 10 knots.

Normally would have had my gps, but was a bit rushed for time. Also was very stable no problem standing on the outer hull side at 150ls. Still need the foredeck and some glass work, but hopefully not more that 25 lbs more weight. Came it a bit heavier than id hoped but lighter than an 11' rib and needs 1/2 the hp.
Old 19-10-2015, 20:09   #28

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
No drugs, no meds. All organic foods.

The RLS is coming as a direct result of bad dinghy rides hitting nerves wrong in my lower back. I also feel hot sensations down my legs during the rides. Like electricity.

I need a better dinghy setup... chair and/or displacement boat.
scoliosis is the problem, try kneeling with a tiller extension and knee pads. I am still on the mend from rods and two fusions. don't twist and keep back as straight as possible. IT'S GOING TO HURT going fast-to much jarring on a back that has that kind of problem...
Good luck, I know how you feel !!!
Old 19-10-2015, 20:38   #29

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I've noticed lots of folks standing. A couple that has my respect stand. Extension on the motor control. He holds on to the engine and a painter and she has a painter and a line from the stern so she can avoid a nose dive. He does use a kill switch.
Old 20-10-2015, 02:58   #30

Boat: Oyster 66

I have a bad back too. This helps - I have a jockey seat, which is the best feature of my dinghy. In small chop you can sit with legs bracing you from sideward motion and holding onto the wheel for fore to aft motion. You have a dry rear end and a very comfortable seating position. When there is a wake or chop to cross you just stand like a horse rider and your legs absorb the shock.

The steel rail to the rear of the seat is the best and safest handhold for all the passengers on the dinghy. It prevents you being bounced rearwards off the tubes. I ask all the crew to use it. That is another must have for me.

The downsides are it needs a flat solid floor and a largish dinghy, plus it weighs about 20 kg. it's a non negotiable requirement for me.

Also look for a steep deadrise hull. This will help a lot too. A lot of dinghies are rather flat bottomed. Ask what the angle is.

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: