Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 13:57   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: A lesson learned from our first significant sea passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
A friend of mine spent six months preparing for a major race that went from the West Coast to Hawaii. His boat was in excellent condition at the start of the race. His weak link was the crew, they were all green horns with almost no ocean experience. A number of incidents occurred onboard because of their inexperience and not because the boat was incapable. They ended up having to abandon the race and turn back.

But that's the problem with races, isn't it? No rest. An experience crew might be able to keep going day after day, but if you are new to sailing that's just not likely to work.

At least we were able to stop over in the harbours for a night or so as we went along, which gave the crew a chance to recharge. At one harbour, they all went to the pub while I caught up on MY sleep! (But they brought back lots of beer and pizza when they returned! What a crew!)
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:04   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My old daddy always told me "a smilein Capn makes for a smilein crew !!but if ya want em to keep smilein feed em good !" Of course if they are pukers I guess this don't apply! LOL Sounds to me that ya have some of the best crew Ive heard of in years !! Keep em happy !! Ya may need em again !!
Old 07-02-2013, 14:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
One thing I dislike are pukers. I don't understand why they even want to go to sea. That is my first requirement, is that they don't get sea sick. What is the use of crew if they can't function.
Well I have to confess here... I was one of the ones throwing up on the first day! Two of the crew got off after the fist day, also from being very sea sick, but I am fortunate in that although I felt pretty cruddy at the time, I could still function as a sailor OK. (This is only the second time this has happened to me, and the other time I was on a long solo journey so I really just had to keep going, but thank goodness for my old Tillerpilot ST1000!)

Of the crew that remained with me for the rest of the journey, I think they all felt a bit crook at one time or another, but none of them actually got as bad as me on that first day. I was ok for the rest of the journey, though I was at a kind of steady 1 out of 10 level of sea sickness for a fair bit of it.

But it's another note in their favour, they elected to go on when the skipper was puking over the side. Not sure what it says about their judgment.... but it says a thing or two about their courage!
Old 07-02-2013, 14:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
My old daddy always told me "a smilein Capn makes for a smilein crew !!but if ya want em to keep smilein feed em good !" Of course if they are pukers I guess this don't apply! LOL Sounds to me that ya have some of the best crew Ive heard of in years !! Keep em happy !! Ya may need em again !!

Well... actually I had PLANNED to "feed em good". I spent over $500 on food for the journey, and I had cooked and frozen meals for two weeks before we set off. Every food cupboard was completely full when we left harbour, and I used to be a professional chef so I reckon what I cook is a least edible, certainly nobody complains when I cook.

But, we ended up living on mainly dry biscuits and water. It was just too choppy to work in the kitchen safely, the stink of diesel was worst near the kitchen and I think if we had eaten anything richer than what we did we would all have been sick as dogs. We arrived at our destination with the freezer still full, and all the cupboards completely stocked, but we all lost a couple kilos at least.

Small tip though, for those who want to try it. One of the crew had packed a good stash of his favourite snack food, Twisties. Now I would normally never touch them, but three days into the journey they were the best thing I have ever eaten, and much to my suprise, they did not make me feel at all sick. And, as my wife who is a nurse would say, sometimes it does not matter what you eat, you just need the calories.
Old 07-02-2013, 14:27   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I would guess your next maintenance job will be finding the source of the diesel smell.
Old 07-02-2013, 15:57   #21

Quote:
I would guess your next maintenance job will be finding the source of the diesel smell.
Yes, that one has me bothered. I could see the drips forming, and here's the REALLY odd bit. The were forming ABOVE the header tank, which, in theory at least, is not pressurised.

One of those pull it all apart and start again jobs, which at least I can do properly now that the boat is home and near all my tools.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:16   #22

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
One thing I dislike are pukers. I don't understand why they even want to go to sea. That is my first requirement, is that they don't get sea sick. What is the use of crew if they can't function.

I've never been sea sick myself. I've crossed the Pacific 4 times with engine room watches, and have been in two typhoons, which I rather enjoyed aboard a 400' ship. To me it's like going on a fair ride.

Anyway, with that and some good common sense I think the experience level is next. Personality is important too, but that is relative.

As Seaworthy Lass indicated some individuals can function and still perform their duties between chundas.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage