Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 03:42   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
A Jersey Sleigh Ride

Thought this was very cool old video.

Black Friday at Manasquan - YouTube
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 04:07   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: A Jersey Sleigh Ride

Thanks knotty, neat video. My last trip thru the fog was so thick I couldnt see both sides !
Amazing how the Coast Guard pilot manages to keep his hat on !!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 04:45   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

even stop to think just how wrong it is to expect CG people to risk their lives and ships in order to save yours when the issue is operator stupidity?
Old 25-03-2012, 04:57   #4

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
even stop to think just how wrong it is to expect CG people to risk their lives and ships in order to save yours when the issue is operator stupidity?
It's pretty rare that the USCG will go WELL into harms way unless there is ABSOLUTELY life at risk.

They barely go into shallow water any more for fear on a prop strike....even back bay on a windless day.

Not putting them down but the standards for crew and equipment safety are much tighter now than in the "30's".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 05:40   #5

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

There was an interesting thread a few months back about whether the New Jersey coast was a potentially dangerous place or not. I've never even tried Manasquan. And I don't think I will!
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 07:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
There was an interesting thread a few months back about whether the New Jersey coast was a potentially dangerous place or not. I've never even tried Manasquan. And I don't think I will!
rediculous....most inlets under the right conditions will be just like that or worse....but they are only like that a few times a year (mostly under storm warnings or other conditions you would rather run the inlet earlier than stay out.

Manasquan is actually one of the easier/better inlet in NJ.
Old 25-03-2012, 08:30   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sometimes ya need to wait out a tide to make safe return!! but I think I would much rather be at sea then make that run no matter what the tide was !! Surfin in even a Bar Boat is just not my style LOL
Old 25-03-2012, 12:11   #8

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
rediculous....most inlets under the right conditions will be just like that or worse....but they are only like that a few times a year (mostly under storm warnings or other conditions you would rather run the inlet earlier than stay out.

Manasquan is actually one of the easier/better inlet in NJ.
Maybe I'm being ridiculous. But realize most cruisers usually only run a particular inlet (except their home inlet) once, twice, maybe three or four times in a lifetime. I've had scary moments (on relatively calm days) in a number of big, well-marked, heavily travelled inlets on the U.S. East Coast when it suddenly became apparent a big ground swell was coming ashore with me.

Manasquan looked too tight and too tricky to me from the chart. So I stayed away. But, as you say, maybe I'm being ridiculous.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 12:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Maybe I'm being ridiculous. But realize most cruisers usually only run a particular inlet (except their home inlet) once, twice, maybe three or four times in a lifetime. I've had scary moments (on relatively calm days) in a number of big, well-marked, heavily travelled inlets on the U.S. East Coast when it suddenly became apparent a big ground swell was coming ashore with me.

Manasquan looked too tight and too tricky to me from the chart. So I stayed away. But, as you say, maybe I'm being ridiculous.
Running inlets like Manasquan is easy. You can see the swell action on the rocks so no suprises there...it's deep water all the way to well inside...better narrow and easy to evaluate than big, wide ones with bars and zig-zags...etc..etc.. Plus the Coast Pilot helps to at least gives you some help...plus there's always the USCG and towing companies for local info.

Night/fog...different story....unless you call ahead.