Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
In different parts of various reports (and even Raw Faith's own website), the vessel's LOA is given alternately as 88' and 118'. I assume it has to do with including or not including the bowsprit (convention is not to include it - otherwise, my boat is 40' insead of 37').
But when they dock it at a marina they'll still have to pay for the OAL of 118'.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21   #17

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Looks like an accident looking for a spot to happen.

Glad no one was hurt though.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53   #18

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
Thanks for the link Clipper Chris, I had a good laugh. I ma not have much sailing experience but I know a unpolished turd when I see one
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
But when they dock it at a marina they'll still have to pay for the OAL of 118'.
Sad, but true.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:38   #20

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
The video shows the ship rocking and rolling, apparently not under control -- at least she is just lying in the troughs rather than meeting the seas. No sails up, but can't tell, of course, if the auxiliary was running. The news story says 25 knots of wind and 10-13 foot seas, which should be survivable. The video shows some breaking waves and blown spume, which is consistent with a strong breeze on the Beaufort scale (21 to 26 knots)

OTOH, the thing did sink. Maybe they were taking on water really fast and when the bilge pump went, the thought they had no choice but to leave. On yet another hand, why only one pump on a vessel that size?

On the final hand, I'm basing all of this on a news story, possibly written by someone whose knowledge of boats and the sea is non-existent, and who interviewed a CG swimmer rather than any member of the crew.

Maybe I'll get back to work now ....

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:57   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
I think it has been taking on water for at least 2 years.
Check the link I posted earlier if you have more work time to spare, makes a good read.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59   #22

That boat reminds me of Noah's Ark, well, except for that this guy had more resources, didn't have to carry two of every living animal and didn't face a global flood....
Sarcasm aside, it is really a shame he lost his dream, too bad he didn't get some more help and seek out more advice along the way, it sounded like a great idea. Too few people over the age of 13 still have big dreams, much less pursue them!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:17   #23

Not sure if everyone's seen this yet:

Captain’s Tale Of Failed “Roll Of The Dice” Nantucket Sail « CBS Boston – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and Boston's Best

Cliff notes:

- "captain" blames the parks service for kicking him out and forcing him to go to sea
- they extended his permit from 14 days to 30 days and then to 60 days
- takes no personal responsibility
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:40   #24

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I liked the comments of the readers below the article.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:08   #25

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
The video shows the ship rocking and rolling, apparently not under control -- at least she is just lying in the troughs rather than meeting the seas. No sails up, but can't tell, of course, if the auxiliary was running. The news story says 25 knots of wind and 10-13 foot seas, which should be survivable. The video shows some breaking waves and blown spume, which is consistent with a strong breeze on the Beaufort scale (21 to 26 knots)

OTOH, the thing did sink. Maybe they were taking on water really fast and when the bilge pump went, the thought they had no choice but to leave. On yet another hand, why only one pump on a vessel that size?
There is no auxiliary. There is also, apparently, no piece of wood in the hull longer than 8 feet, and much if it is constructed from deconstructed skids, according to the skipper/builder's own claims. They had one survival suit. Two crew. This whole fiasco is a textbook example of undermanned, underfunded, underprepared, underexperienced, and now underwater.
This joker is the kind of "cruiser" who causes increased regulation and rules for the rest of us.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Massachusetts