Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 18:52   #76

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 57 foot too big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And then it don't matter How Frickin Good you are... take Alfa cat for example..
Remember.. a lot on here maybe only do 500-1000miles/yr and coastal at that..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh, Boatie, I'd guess that damn few of the respondents do that many miles. Consider how many don't even own a boat!

Jim
Amen
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 23:27   #77

I bought a 54' HR and as said above, all boats feel small at sea so I'm happy to have the extra safety and speed of a bigger boat. In marinas however handling can be difficult because most marinas seem to have been designed for shorter boats. I would not have bought the boat if I had not been able to install a stern thruster. (it had a bow thruster). The old hands poo poo the idea of thrusters etc for boat handling but for someone without years of experience it can be a big help in tight spaces. Draft is also a matter to consider and a deep keel does restrict options somewhat so it depends where one plans to go.
The costs and maintenance on a boat seem to go up exponentially with size so that is a personal factor that has to be considered. The upgrade costs of a big old boat can be quite scary.
Physical strength for operating the boat is less of a problem than it used to be and a few electric winches can make life easier which is one reason why boats are getting longer every year.
quandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 14:33   #78

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Do it

On a large boat, use only brain and intuition and pre-emption.
No strength will be of help to you. Simply so!

Forget stupid (!) Genoa, code0 etc.
Go straight for twin jibs as foresails, 3 electric winches, bow thrust.

A self-tacking jib is good!

Have a dinghy with >15HP which your wife can use to help you in harbours

Check eqt. Well, rigging engines pumps and systems

Any change will cost 2,5X than on a 40'

..and you have many more items to look after

I bought an ocean racer, and feel so comfortable :-) well alone, or with any female guest. Hooked sails.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 15:02   #79

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quandary, I just hate hearing bow/stern thrusters esp when in a nice quiet anchorage.
BUT, its my opinion that THE most experienced skipper would need at least two crew in tenders when trying to dock you Rassy in even light cross winds.
It's really good to hear that you had the temerity/experience to have fitted a complementing stern thruster.
Reading your post was a joy.
Cheers.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 15:07   #80
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Quandary, I just hate hearing bow/stern thrusters esp when in a nice quiet anchorage.
My god...... It's an Anchorage, not a Library!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 15:20   #81

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Thread drift Laddie!!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 15:26   #82

Nzmal,

go for it, 57 aint that big and if you can afford it then you will kick yourself later if you are in a smaller boat. I bought my first boat this year and looked at several boats from 60ft down to 40 and finally settled on a 52 ft alloy boat and went straight out and sailed her 5000 miles. It was a bit of a steep learning curve but you will manage. Get to know her with someone who has experience to guide you properly. Make sure you are well prepared for any offshore trip that you do, and expect things to go wrong, they assuredly will, Imagine the worst scenario and have plan for what you will do in that situation, if you can identify shortcomings in your plan then you are not well enough prepared. Learn how to heave to so that you can get rest, always give yourself plenty of searoom unless you know exactly what the weather is going to do. Sign up to Attainable Adventure Cruising and milk the knowledge on that site. Be well experienced in how your boat handles in confined spaces under power and stay away from congested marinas if it is windy and you are not adept at identifying what manoeuvers you need to make and are well sure of how she will handle. Get out there and enjoy it.
weegiemann is offline   Reply With Quote