Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2015, 11:44   #46

Re: 57 foot too big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrcal36 View Post
Problems at sea cascade to major s**t storms very quickly. Can turn your dream into a nightmare in a matter of minutes. Smaller boats allow easier handling in bad conditions.
40 footer=$$$....57footer=$$$$$$$
Think it was John Neale that came up with the theory that boat costs increase exponentially as boat size increases every 5 feet. Bigger the boat, the greater distance to be thrown around. Unless the hull is very well built, bigger hulls undergo much greater stress during storm conditions. Otoh, why stop at 57 feet if costs are not of concern to the guy? There are some nice 70 footers out there. Plus it opens up the world to steel and aluminium hulls rather than feeble plastic hulls. After all, if small is beautiful, humongous is glorious.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:57   #47

Boat: Tayana 37

If you are hurt and can't help, could your wife sail it alone through a storm or even heave-to?

Systems are usually more complicated on bigger boats. Can you dismantle and repair most of the critical systems if they breakdown while "high-latitude sailing from NZ"? There will be no one at the South Pole to help.

Don't know you or the boat. You might be buying yourself years of frustration and misery. You might not.

I've sailed a few different boats offshore, up to 46'. Was never safer than in our old Vancouver 27, though it would be something of a squeeze for a family of four.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:09   #48

Draft is 9 foot.
Thanks everyone... I'm paying heed to your concerns although, as usual, responses are polarized. It does help though when posters indicate if opinions are borne from experience or speculation. All welcome though.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-12-2015, 12:59   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Most John Pugh boats were built hard chine from steel, fact. Steel sits nicely on reefs but also never sleeps. Not for a second.
Older large boats, irrespective of materials used, eventually need squillions of dollars to keep them afloat (AFLOAT! !!).
MANY 57' schooners would keep a husband & wife team of shipwrights/engineers/riggers etc, working flat out (every day) with maintainance alone. Doesn't leave much time for a couple of "inshore trailer yachties" to cruise the Pacific safely with children.
IMO, if money is no consideration and if all FOUR of you are marathon swimmers...then sure, give it a whirl.
But frankly speaking, given your experience, if you need to ask "can we do it"..... because three other lives are involved here as well as yours...no you can't!!
Not without risking becoming statistics for all the wrong reasons that is.
However, if you already own most of Westpac Bank and the other three crew have unheard of abilities, then maybe, maybe, you can pull this off.
Sorry Mate but too many hallmarks here, all screaming out.
Your primary criteria seem to be..."lots of cabins and just how little experience do we need to pull this off ?"
Wrong boat FWIW.
SMALLER BOAT !!!!!!!!
Very best wishes
Brian.
Old 04-12-2015, 13:12   #50

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

I could not stand to read all the nay-sayers postings ! MY story, my tiny (87lb) wife and I live and travel full time on our 51' ketch (a 83 Morgan 512) .
I was never much of a sailor before, but have learned to sail her (the boat) pretty much single handed. Off shore is no big issue once you know how to sail. If you are incapacitated she should know all the ways to call for help. Maint. is always an issue, you better know how to do most your self if you are going to really cruise -- GO FER IT !!!!!
Old 04-12-2015, 13:14   #51

Steel hulls tend to rot from the inside out. Survey all important down in the bilges. Otherwise, steel is great lightening protection, whale protection, and reef crunching. Does transmit sounds. Learn to weld. 9 feet will exclude you from a lot of anchorages. Certainly would not work over here in the US.
Old 04-12-2015, 13:34   #52
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 57 foot too big?

All but solo'd a 54ft Ketch from Florida to Perth.. had one lady crew for lookout duty 4hrs/night as far as US Samoa.. the inexperienced owner from there to Vanuatu.. two non sailor crew he'd arranged from V'atu to Darwin where one did a runner then back down to the one round to Perth..
The passages were no problem neither was the port/marina entries and departures..
Just go slow and think ahead.. reef early and teach the missus to operate the boat under engine.. you'll be sound as a pound..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:11   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Two things stand out among these postings.
1. nzmal....your dream vessel is not a schooner! It's a stays'l rigged ketch. Big difference and it seems you aren't aware of it the difference.
2. MITCH......your Morgan is f/glass, Mal's is steel and have you seen the picture of the foredeck? More importantly, how can Mal's wife call for help in the Pacific? There virtually is none......the Southern Ocean is very out of reach. Even crossing the ditch to OZ...no chance of help.

Very little experience....and look at the photos....likely rust nightmares from day one.
And at the asking price, for a good boat, way too cheap. IMHO.
All of the posters telling Mal "just go for it" are thinking of Mal only. Children on board a huge and complex boat, seriously open waters and with an inexperienced crew! OMG.
Old 04-12-2015, 14:30   #54

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mitch View Post
If you are incapacitated she should know all the ways to call for help.
Excuse me? If he gets hurt or sick and can't sail the boat anymore, all she needs to do is call for help?
NO. She needs to be able to sail the damn boat. Alone. Safely.

Kids aren't crew, you shouldn't rely on their help in case mommy can't sail the boat herself in bad weather.
I can just see those two little ones trying to reef the main in a storm O.o

As I posted at the beginning of this thread:

BOTH adults need to be able to safely handle the boat (whichever one they buy) single handed, and not just when circumstances are perfect. Both need to be able to sail the boat, not just hold the helm while it gently floats and you apply more sunscreen.

Responsible sailing is NOT "bring a satellite phone and let others fix our mess"; rescue at sea is not "dail a captain" or a taxi service for when it stops being fun. And that is provided you're in an area where help is available quick enough.
Old 04-12-2015, 14:36   #55

@NZMAL:

Others have touched on this: Compared with a 22 ft trailerable, which you can basically pick up with one hand and take out of harms way, a 57 footer, while a small ship, is a VERY big hammer! Lose yer grip, and that hammer will do a LOT of damage to itself and to others!

Remember that when thing go sideways, as they will sooner or later, in a small boat they happen very quickly, but are seldom very serious. In a big boat things go sideways very slowly, but also very, very inexorably, and unless you are both experienced and bloody-minded it is very, very difficult to stop the progression.

@Lizzy Belle:
Mooie blog!

TrentePieds
Old 04-12-2015, 14:58   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quick, short thread drift....
Lizziebelle, you blog is 1,000% double Dutch.
Not a even word of English.
Damn!
Old 04-12-2015, 15:04   #57

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Quick, short thread drift....
Lizziebelle, you blog is 1,000% double Dutch.
Not a even word of English.
Damn!
There is too! How Much of a Sailor Are You? - sy Lizzy Belle
Edit: and the quote at the very top of the page, lol!

Google translate does sorta work to transate Dutch to something that reminds me of English.

Sorry, too much work to post in both Dutch and English ...
Old 04-12-2015, 15:19   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Promise...no more thread drift...but,
"how much of a sailor..."
excellent answers!
the rest was quad Dutch.
Fini!
Old 04-12-2015, 15:57   #59

Boat: Cape Dory 36

This thread is just some kind of joke to test replies.....it's just gotta be
Old 04-12-2015, 19:32   #60

Yes thanks everyone but I'm withdrawing from this discussion now.

I have the advice I need and I'm not up for a beating. I'm moving back to looking in the 40-45 foot market.
I accept I'm not much of a sailor in some of your eyes.. but I'm sure some of you were in my space before you bought your first keeler.

I'm not interested in hearing posters tell me I should give it away completely and I feel that's where this thread will end up.

cheers everyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: