Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
3500 nautical miles with a jury rig

Fellow I work with told me last week about sailing across the atlantic (bahamas to Azores) when he was younger (1985 to be exact). Halfway across, their mast broke due to a splitter breaking. By the way the boat was a Maxi 9.5 (30 footer). They jury-rigged a mast from what was left and sailed to the Azores, but being young guys, they had no money for repairs. So they ended up sailing the boat the rest of the way to Denmark. There are pictures and they sailed with a jib, trysail, cut down yankee and a storm Jib mounted front and back.

This was before the age of Epirbs, iridium, immarsat etc so they had very little choice but to sail home on the jury rig.

I wonder how many of us would do that today?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:20   #2

Boat: Grady White
Re: 3500 nautical miles with a jury rig

zip ties and duck tape.
Maineripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:29   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
(...)

This was before the age of Epirbs, iridium, immarsat etc so they had very little choice but to sail home on the jury rig.

I wonder how many of us would do that today?
All those without Epirbs, iridiums, inmarsats would.

And then add some percentage of those with.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 12:23   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I have a Epirb, don't even know what the others are ! what can ya do but fix something up to get somewhere !! We have never had to do something like that, but when ya have no other choice ya do what ever you can to get home ! There have been lots of sailors who have made up jury rigs to get home !!If the boats still floating and in no danger of sinking are ya going to set off the epirb and leave the boat ?? most would not I think. just sayin my boats my home Im going to do my best to get it to a place I can fix it right !!
Old 15-07-2012, 12:38   #5

I think it is pretty essential to have some plan, some idea of 'what / if'.

Can see hundreds of ARC boats departing every year. A jury rig plan is not even part of their official check up list!

I am saying this because I know people who lost rig at sea and most often the issue is that they prematurely jump to cutting the rig off "because it WILL (sic!) damage the hull". Then they find the boom and the spinnaker pole are gone too!

And how can you build your jury rig NOW?

;-)
b.
Old 15-07-2012, 14:17   #6

Boat: Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think it is pretty essential to have some plan, some idea of 'what / if'.

Can see hundreds of ARC boats departing every year. A jury rig plan is not even part of their official check up list!

I am saying this because I know people who lost rig at sea and most often the issue is that they prematurely jump to cutting the rig off "because it WILL (sic!) damage the hull". Then they find the boom and the spinnaker pole are gone too!

And how can you build your jury rig NOW?

;-)
b.
You have it right.

Its the mindset of the 'old style' cruiser vs the sat phone sailors [often used to sell/buy shares whilst away from teh office!]

I dont know how I would cope - fall apart or deal with it? I hope I never have to !

I guess I would make an informed decision based on the welfare of the other people on my boat - [most likely my son/family] so that probably answers that!

I am in awe of the sailors who defy impossible odds
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 15:15   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For those interested in modern-day jury rig voyages, I recommend a look at the book "Against All Odds" by Alan Nebauer. This is the story of his '94-'95 sailing of the BOC singlehanded RTW race. His was a poorly funded effort, and he overcame a lot of obstacles to even reach the starting line in "Newcastle Australia". In the first leg, he rescued Josh Hall, a competitor whose boat sank after colliding with some object. Then on the leg from Sydney to Uruguay, he was dismasted around 600 miles west of Cape Horn, loosing the entire rig but retaining two spinnaker poles. From those he constructed an A-frame mast and continued on around the Horn and up to the Falklands where a mast had been shipped from England. Having installed the not-quite-right mast, he set out again, only to hit something and rip off the rudder. Once again setting up a jury rigged spare rudder, he continued on to Punta Del Este, arriving just before the start of the last leg of the race. Somehow he managed to get a suitable rudder mounted and made the start and then finished the race in Charleston. Was awarded not one, but two outstanding seamanship awards for his accomplishments... an unequaled achievement to this day.

We are privileged to have Alan and his wife Cindy as friends!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-07-2012, 19:06   #8

A windsurfer sail is a good back up. The mast is telescopic! The sails fold neatly ... they are dirt cheap in the aftermarket ...

Two, for a bigger boat, I think.

b.