Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 11:15   #16

Re: 22ft Bahamas Trip? Or not a good idea?

Thank you for all the tips and responses! I seem to have left out some important info though.

- Swing Keel
- Outboard 9.9HP (no inboard engine)
- No idea where to leave from yet. I am near Orlando so I will be on the East Coast but as someone else said, its trailerable so not an issue launching from anywhere.

And yes I do plan to get some good experience before heading on this trip along with the correct safety measures like an epirb.

I think for heading to the keys, I may put in further down like Miami to avoid so much motoring in the ICW.

amremington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 16:48   #17

Did the northern Abacos, Grand Bahama, and Bimini in a 22 ft. Helsen many times. Somtimes uncomfortable but lots of fun times. Now have a 41 morgan OI much more comfy but requires crew.
Go for it. I like Boca to West end as an easy crossing. Never miss the opportunity to get fuel.
Capt. Tom
S/V Chardonnay

Capt. Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:59   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It is unlikely you would be able to make progress to windward in anything above 20kn which is not 'bad weather' offshore,
Years ago my first keel boat was a swing keel Catalina 22 (hull #61 out of thousands built). For 4 seasons I raced her in SF bay with the SYRA Cat 22 fleet. Nearly every race involved winds of 20 knots, usually more, and every race had windward legs. We all managed to get around the courses... never lost a boat, but did loose a couple of masts. Point is, you certainly can get to windward in >20 knots in a Cat 22, but you will be wet and not comfy.

That said, for the OP: once you are in the water and gaining experience, DO go out in nasty weather a few times. Drive the boat hard and see if anything breaks and if you have the skills to cope with the difficult conditions. Do this near home, rescue (if needed), spare parts and a hot shower at the end of the day. This practice will help you decide if you want to go to sea in the boat. All the brave talk on CF comes from people who will not be on board with you!

Jim
Old 26-06-2018, 05:28   #19

Boat: 22ft falmouth oyster dredger.

hi ive sailed from england to the caribbean twice in a 22ft ferro falmouth oyster dredger, very seaworthy boat 25,000 miles offshore in this boat several storms above 50 knots.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 05:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amremington View Post
Thank you for all the tips and responses! I seem to have left out some important info though.

- Swing Keel
- No idea where to leave from yet. I am near Orlando so I will be on the East Coast but as someone else said, its trailerable so not an issue launching from anywhere.

And yes I do plan to get some good experience before heading on this trip along with the correct safety measures like an epirb.

I think for heading to the keys, I may put in further down like Miami to avoid so much motoring in the ICW.
ais as important as epirb.
Old 26-06-2018, 05:31   #21

ais reciever more important than epirb if single handed, but have both.
Old 26-06-2018, 06:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Years ago my first keel boat was a swing keel Catalina 22 (hull #61 out of thousands built). For 4 seasons I raced her in SF bay with the SYRA Cat 22 fleet. Nearly every race involved winds of 20 knots, usually more, and every race had windward legs. We all managed to get around the courses... never lost a boat, but did loose a couple of masts. Point is, you certainly can get to windward in >20 knots in a Cat 22, but you will be wet and not comfy.

That said, for the OP: once you are in the water and gaining experience, DO go out in nasty weather a few times. Drive the boat hard and see if anything breaks and if you have the skills to cope with the difficult conditions. Do this near home, rescue (if needed), spare parts and a hot shower at the end of the day. This practice will help you decide if you want to go to sea in the boat. All the brave talk on CF comes from people who will not be on board with you!

Jim

Exactly my plan. There is a large lake down the street from me that I have been using to practice in a 16ft Tanzer. But I want to do the same with this boat once I get her floating. Then head out to the inner coastal quite a few times to get the feel of things.

Before writing this, I honestly didn't realize that Bimini was so close to Miami. That makes me feel a lot better about giving it a try once I get my practice in. It also tells me that I need to study charts and maps a LOT more lol.
Old 26-06-2018, 07:08   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
hi ive sailed from england to the caribbean twice in a 22ft ferro falmouth oyster dredger, very seaworthy boat 25,000 miles offshore in this boat several storms above 50 knots.
Wow!

I think that deserves a new post topic or thread of its own. One with some photos too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 07:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Wow!

I think that deserves a new post topic or thread of its own. One with some photos too.

Agreed! I'd love to see that!
Old 26-06-2018, 07:31   #25

Me too! I love working style boats!
Old 26-06-2018, 07:37   #26

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

From My wife's blog, Irish Eyes to the Bahamas June 6, 2015

We are sometimes asked what sort of boat you need to go to the Bahamas. Well, the near boat is a 22 foot Catalina sailboat and is worth maybe $3000. The larger boat is a 70 foot long Sunreef sailing catamaran and is worth about $3,000,000. We anchored beside them at Shroud Cay in the Exuma Islands. We later saw the Pennsylvania registered Catalina in Marsh Harbour 150 miles farther north.

Bill
wsmurdoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 12:58   #27

Are you sure you have an Islander Bahama 22 and not a Columbia 22? the smallest Bahama was a 24. The 24 is a good boat but you need to go through and inspect it prior to taking off. These boats were built when fiberglass was a new building product and they really did not know the strength properties of the material. The Islander 24 is a prime example of that in that they took a proven wood hull design and matched the thickness of the wood hull in their placement of the glass. This made the boats heavy and stronger than a BSH which is why the boats are still around. If its a Columbia 22 I know of one person who spent about 5 years cruising the Caribbean in his before coming back and trailering the boat to Puget sound Both are good boats.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 17:38   #28

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=amremington;2659744]Thank you for all the tips and responses! I seem to have left out some important info though.

- Swing Keel

I recommend heading over to the Tampa Bay area instead of going east. It's much safer learning seamanship in the Gulf plus there's a lot to see. You could spend a year exploring the West Coast & never get close to seeing everything.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 18:18   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2660638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amremington View Post

- Swing Keel

I recommend heading over to the Tampa Bay area instead of going east. It's much safer learning seamanship in the Gulf plus there's a lot to see. You could spend a year exploring the West Coast & never get close to seeing everything.
In the Gulf I'd recommend sticking close to land in a boat that size.. Real close, that shallow coast can get nasty in a minute.
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 20:00   #30

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=Cadence;2660664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

In the Gulf I'd recommend sticking close to land in a boat that size.. Real close, that shallow coast can get nasty in a minute.
Real close to land is pretty much the most dangerous place a sailboat can be. Actually, I go out in the Gulf regularly in my 18' lobster skiff & 10' Bauer but you're right that it can get nasty quick in the summer when thunderstorms come through. That being said a Catalina 22 should be able to handle it as long as you know what you're doing. Like anywhere, including lakes, the prudent sailor watches the weather. I know one thing, if you can't handle sailing in the Gulf you've got no business heading for the Bahamas.

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas