Thank you all for the advice and discussion. The differing views & advice is great - and entertaining. I haven't done 'forums' before and surprised by all the responses!! But we all know that people on boats are the friendliest people around...
So here's what I've gathered so far from all the posts;
is workable, with concessions to luxuries & safety
features (a tad worrying as I work in Safety
-Boats are money
holes (knew this already - put $500 in my dads powerboat after a rock snuck up on me... lesson learned... my dad gave me the bill and says, "everyone hits one rock, then they read the charts
-Waiting 1-2 years will bolster the budget
and give better security
, as waiting the 1-2 years may result in putting off the dream for longer (as commitments; mortgage, wife, etc. ask my ex's about how much I like commitment... )
-The lifestyle is appealing and I may not come back
is tight, best not to commit or drive to make a destination
- rather enjoy the destinations you're in.
-There is life after retirement
(I think life begins at retirement
- the death sentence can be a job you don't like and putting up with it for 25 years to get to retirement
should keep me busy for 6 months, better leave Caribbean
for retirment... or until i decide to live on board
-2-4 yrs work experience goes a long ways.
-May be job opportunities abroad / contract
work in engineering (experience is needed to get to that point)
- You sound like Noah & the Ark - you have 20 m shed??? I don't think it's called a shed at that point, more like a construction yard. Make room for 2 of every animal on that cat.
On another note, I had 2 very interesting career developments
1) A meeting with a manager that works at the site
that our company supports (they want me for 1 year to move to the site and do the 'real' engineering - ie. checking out design mods, plant walkdowns etc.).
2) recieved an interview
for another employer regarding an engineering job at another site.
So my plate is now full with decisions - and this pays tribute to the wealth of oppotunity in my particular field (nuclear safety analysis). The nuclear industry is growing, has retiring demographics and 2 new builds in Ontario
scheduled for 2015 - which is why I am not particularly worried about job security
(as I have degree in nuclear engineering + about 2 yrs experience with my internship included) and the industry is in demand. I should be cautious tho, as the auto industry lays off experienced engineers I am sure quite a few will make capable nuclear engineers
One of my driving forces
for planning to take this trip was low job satisfaction
, and these 2 developments present opportunities to get more engaged
in my engineering work.
I meet with the big boss
of my current
company to informally discuss this 'leave of absence' policy when he returns from vacation
. If he says yes then I will probably start to put the wheels in motion
(and make many many more posts about provisioning
, which boat and which routes to take). If he says no, then I will look into the other job, and possibly accept with a request to differ the start date and get a bit of sailing in before the next job. The employers I have talked to have been flexible about when to start... given the demand in industry they are happy to have people at all.
in my preferential order;
1) stay where i am + leave of absence in November for 6 months of sailing the bahamas
on a sparsely outfitted 27-30 footer purchased in Florida
2) go to site with current employer (too the middle of no where, but on a nice lake...)
3) go to different site with new employer (to a bigger city, also on a lake)
4) stay where i am and nothing changes... (downtown biggest canadian city, job is meh...)
5) sell it all and live out the rest of my days on a sailboat (this should be #1, but it's not overly practical at this point...)
So I'll make a decision
about all this end of March / early April. I appreciate the advice from you all and look forward to cruisin down south sometime soon.
The Young Engineer.