Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 12:46   #31

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: Yet another wannabe

> Great! are you planning any stops between SF and SB?

Don't know yet. Is there anything worth stopping at?
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 13:35   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
> Great! are you planning any stops between SF and SB?

Don't know yet. Is there anything worth stopping at?
Well, I have always wanted to stay at San Simeon, beautiful cove, huge and good protection/holding ground. You can catch a ride up to Hearst Castle! Most folks pass it by though of course because going south it's easy to just keep on going offshore and keep the momentum to Point Conception. Morro Bay and Port San Luis (Pismo Beach area) around the corner are there if you need anything. Personally I'd plan on turning the corner at Point Conception and then stopping at Cojo Anchorage. I just think its beautiful there. But that is me. Admittedly it is often windy, but still gorgeous. It is easy to reach out to San Miguel Island from there, and if you were planning at all to visit San Miguel it is easier to do it from Conception. San Miguel has a very good anchorage, but it is often howling out there. If it is blowing only 20 or 25, I'd say go for it. Not many cruisers make it out there. If it is too breezy you can run down to Santa Rosa Island and stay at Becher's. The wind often comes over the hill there into the anchorage but it's protected from swell and the holding ground is good. Santa Rosa is beautiful to visit and has some great, long, beaches. But if you want to keep going to Santa Cruz, Forney Cove is one of my favorites, in fact it reminds me of Cojo, only wilder. If you decide to poke along the coast it is often calm enough to anchor just about anywhere. Pretty common to come around the corner at Conception and switch from weather gear">foul weather gear, jackets and sweaters to shorts and short sleeve shirts. Ok that is more than I had planned to write, you can always PM me. Obviously I am itching to get back out there!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 18:46   #33

> Pretty common to come around the corner at Conception and
> switch from weather gear">foul weather gear, jackets and sweaters
> to shorts and short sleeve shirts

Yup, exactly what happened. We made it to Santa Barbara and it finally feels like someplace warm.
Old 03-10-2016, 16:48   #34

Quote:
> Pretty common to come around the corner at Conception and
> switch from weather gear">foul weather gear, jackets and sweaters
> to shorts and short sleeve shirts

Yup, exactly what happened. We made it to Santa Barbara and it finally feels like someplace warm.
Did you stop anywhere along the way???
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-10-2016, 15:59   #35

Just wondering if you have blown by us yet... or have you decided to stay and live the good life in Santa Barbara for a little while longer?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-11-2016, 09:08   #36

Update: we made it to the southern end of Baja California. Winter is no longer coming.

Did the last 700 miles as part of a rally (Baja Haha). 150 boats, all going in the same direction. The idea was (a) meeting other boats with kids and (b) safety in numbers. Worked out more or less as expected on both fronts, although in hindsight I'd rather do it with a much smaller group of boats (just one or two would be totally fine, if they know what they are doing) and no schedule pressure. Nothing really says you cannot meet the big rally at one of their scheduled stopovers, but I would spend a lot more time on the ocean side of Baja.

We've become known as the boat with "too much fish" problem. I'm still more of a lucky idiot than an accomplished fisherman, but there is enough fish here to completely obscure that reality.

Life is still good.

We are headed in the general direction of La Paz and further north now. Going to try and learn how to do it slooooooowly from now on. Wish me luck
Old 14-11-2016, 09:13   #37

@Don: there are quite a few boats the shape and size of your Columbia 29 around here. All from Left Coast US.
Old 14-11-2016, 12:06   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Update: we made it to the southern end of Baja California. Winter is no longer coming.

Did the last 700 miles as part of a rally (Baja Haha). 150 boats, all going in the same direction. The idea was (a) meeting other boats with kids and (b) safety in numbers. Worked out more or less as expected on both fronts, although in hindsight I'd rather do it with a much smaller group of boats (just one or two would be totally fine, if they know what they are doing) and no schedule pressure. Nothing really says you cannot meet the big rally at one of their scheduled stopovers, but I would spend a lot more time on the ocean side of Baja.

We've become known as the boat with "too much fish" problem. I'm still more of a lucky idiot than an accomplished fisherman, but there is enough fish here to completely obscure that reality.

Life is still good.

We are headed in the general direction of La Paz and further north now. Going to try and learn how to do it slooooooowly from now on. Wish me luck
Well done, Red et al. We have never seen the attraction of mob sailing, and have avoided that scene completely. I suspect that as you separate from them and begin a more normal cruising life you will understand why we feel t hat way! Enjoy La Paz... we cut our cruising teeth in that area years ago, and had a great time. I believe that it has become far more "civilized" since then, with benefits and drawbacks associated, but still a good training ground.

Final word: winter is too still coming!!! It gets pretty chilly on the SOC when the northers blow, and the attractions of mainland Mexico further south start looking good... but you will figure all that out.

At any rate, you now can remove the "wanabee" from your rank!

Jim
Old 14-11-2016, 12:39   #39

When you have a five year old onboard, "mob sailing" has some great upsides. As long as she is shy to approach other kids, at least

And having once been that Russian guy Sarah Palin saw from her front porch in Alaska had a great influence on my notion of "winter".
Old 14-11-2016, 12:45   #40

Quote:
@Don: there are quite a few boats the shape and size of your Columbia 29 around here. All from Left Coast US.
Hey good to hear! I hope they are all sailing and not abandoned! BTW I bet member here named zeehag can help you out with local tips there now!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37