Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 14:23   #1

Yes I'm Insane

I think it helps.

I've been lurking around here for a couple of months and wanted to introduce myself. I've never been on a boat. I don't even know anyone who owns a boat. I live 5 hours from the ocean. Yet I've decided that buying a boat and sailing around the world is my new goal in life. Like I said. Insane.

Insane but not (totally) stupid. I have what I think is a pretty decent outline. I plan on buying a boat in 2 years. Hopefully by that time I will have some sailing under my belt, either by taking courses or getting on boats however I can. My goal is to buy a boat that I can live aboard while both getting her ready for a long term cruising and learning to sail her. Starting with day sailing (hopefully with an experience sailor or two onboard), then overnight trips, then longer trips, until I'm comfortable enough to cut the cord. At that point I'll cruise the southeast and east coasts until I feel like I'm ready and I'm bored with the US, and then head for the Caribbean and then wherever.

A little background about myself. My father was an electrical and then general contractor, so I grew up building things. I'm handy enough that I bought a trashed out foreclosed house and my parents and I have almost completely remodeled it ourselves. I personally have an IT background but now I run my own small business that I can pretty much do anywhere I have an internet connection. I understand that might limit my cruising destinations some unless I want to spend an arm and both legs on sat internet, but I have a few years to worry about that.

As far as what kind of boat? Again I have a few years to figure that out and I haven't decided if I want a "project" boat or buy the best boat I can afford. I hope to have a 40-50k budget for just the boat and upgrades. And I know I want the biggest boat that I can comfortably sail myself. Right now I'm leaning towards "project" (and from reading the board I know there will be 73626848626784 people saying I shouldn't be). The main reason though is that I have some pretty specific, and probably quite odd, requirements. For example, I need a wired network on my boat and I'm not sure how hard that would be to add to a boat without taking the interior apart anyway. Plus I have pretty modern taste so I would probably want to refinish most things in 95% of the boats out there. And then there's the fact that there's something extremely satisfying about taking something that looks like crap and making it look amazing.

Why do I want to do this? Why not? No seriously. I love to travel. I've always wanted to spend my life travelling the world, but I've come to realize that I'd rather jump on a boat and go instead of taking what trips I can afford here and there. I'll admit I'm not doing this because of a love of sailing. While I think I will enjoy the sailing, I don't think it'll ever be something I do because I love it. Mostly it's a means to an end. It's a way to get from point A to point B, C, or D depending on the wind in a way that I can afford to do continuously. And besides, what's the worst that could happen? I could spend $50k, hate the lifestyle, have to sell the boat and move back to land. IMO if that's all it takes to scare somebody off from trying it, they're not cut out for it begin with.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Comments appreciated (you don't have to tell me I'm insane though, I already know this). Advice very appreciated. I have tons of questions but those will be asked in the appropriate places.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:35   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Yes I'm insane

Welcome aboard!
Old 26-08-2012, 14:48   #3

HA! Thanks Micah!
Old 26-08-2012, 14:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

Welcome aboard!
Wow we are counting down that makes me 73626848626782

Welcome to the forum Bgriffin.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:58   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nothing Insane about wanting to Change your future lifestyle!! Just shows your adventurous !! More Power to ya !! Have fun we sure do !! Welcome to ya
Old 26-08-2012, 15:29   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Wow we are counting down that makes me 73626848626782

Welcome to the forum Bgriffin.
XXXXXXXXXXXX81
Old 26-08-2012, 16:01   #7

Boat: Watkins 29'
Talking Re: Yes I'm Insane

Lots of nutty people here, you will fit right in... May I be the first of many to recommend you treat yourself to a crewed charter somewhere cool to see if you even like sailing, I'm betting you probably will..
Old 26-08-2012, 16:32   #8

Re: Yes I'm Insane

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Shocked at the +3 or however many for the project boat idea. Or were those for me not being totally insane to begin with?

@Mike - Yes! That's on my list, I'm thinking I'll like it pretty well too. I watched some Gunboat videos on Youtube yesterday and had to change my underwear. Yes, I'm aware I can't afford a Gunboat. Or even the sails for a Gunboat. Or even the dinghy for a Gunboat. I might could afford a doorknob for a Gunboat if someone else chips in.
Old 26-08-2012, 16:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

It all depends on the boat. 40-50k for the boat "and" upgrades is not unreasonable if you are not unreasonable on what boat you want and you really can do the work.

There are lots of folks on here rebuilding boats.

Also if you have done remodeling jobs you have some idea of the time it really takes to get stuff done. Many folks don't take the simple "manhour" estimate and apply now many manhours they actually have in a week to do boat stuff.

Buy a boat in 2 years and start the rebuild and I guess we will see you in the water in 4-5 years. The only other challenge is being 5 hours from the water. If you plan to do it 5 hours from the water you'll need a small boat or a plan to get it to the water eventually.

Not trying to discourage you just pointing out the obvious.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 17:56   #10

You also left out the fact that when you think something is going to take 4 hours it's invariably going to take 8. The same theory can be applied to cost too.

As for being 5 hours away from water, once I buy a boat I'll either be near the water or, hopefully, living in a marina on the boat.
Old 27-09-2012, 16:46   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Buy a boat you can sail while you are doing projects aboard her. Nothing more discouraging than buying a project you can't use. Take it from me. I've been there over and over again.
kind regards,