Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 05:44   #1

Yep, Another One

Hi all just stopped by to see what's happening. On the hard standing while I deal with some personal osmosis and then looking for another boat to float around the place living on the hook. So I expect to sit back and pick up what wisdom I can and try and behave myself. Lol. I need to go into the archives to find the posts on mono cruisers. I have played around with a couple of boats and 28 is too small for what I want and 40 plus is too big. So what I am thinking is about the 34 to 37 foot range in the late 60 and 70's plastics. Small enough to single hand with a decent set-up, big enough to carry the chain and radars I want, enough space for 3 on passages and big enough for 5 on a day sail. The bottom line is that I want the independence which is only possible if you can rely on your self and what you are carrying, but it is still nice to have the option of extra crew and the benefits that it brings. Reading some of the intros there is an immediate question of mono v multi. I would have thought that if you are searching for the “perfect boat” you need to be clear as to what your goals and intentions are. I hope that it does not come across as critical as it is so easy to get carried away with the visuals. Anyway this is a cruising forum where the journey to your boat and life style is half the fun.

Regards
2Dogs
justwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 06:21   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Welcome aboard

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 10:21   #3

Location: Now in St. Pete, FL previously other places. Born in Oz, grew up in UK (still a Brit).
Boat: Not mine... but I love her. Lucille, 34' Irwin.
Ditto!

Hi, welcome aboard, hope you find what you're looking for... when you find it, could you let us know what you end up with? You could've written your post for both of us--LOA, age, construction, berths, etc. Just my cup of tea, too!

I agree, you have a much better chance of finding the boat that meets your requirements if you know what they are!

Good Luck!
Old 14-06-2010, 05:03   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hi 2dogs and welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a used production boat -i.e., 'classic plastic', where you live will have some bearing on the brands that were popular and hence the supply. Nevertheless, there is no shortage of boats that meet those parameters. Happy hunting!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 21:56   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I think 36 is about max for enjoying life solo. There are a couple of links and a book recommendation after my signature that have something to say about boat choices.
kind regards,