Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 15:20   #1

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
YANP: Yet Another Newbie Post

Well, I'm currently a landbound 19 year old male college freshman in Pensacola, FL, I like long walks on the beach...oh... sorry, forgot where I was.

I've got a bit of money saved up, but I've found that working and school don't really mix for me, some people can do it, I just can't handle the stress it causes. So I'll have to just do summer jobs until I'm out of college.

I hope to have a boat to live on before I finish college, but I'll keep looking till I find one. I dunno what I'm gonna do in college and I don't know what I'll do afterwards except sail.

Normally I'm shy, I like my privacy, most of my social interaction comes from the internet. But I can be pretty sociable if I get to know someone, it's the meeting that's tough for me.

Anyway, yeah, that's me.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 15:47   #2
cruiser

Cool! I bought my first boat in college too. I wasn't smart enough to figure out I wanted to live aboard until many years later though. Looks like you'll be able to take a more direct path.

So I'll ask the obligitory question... "what's your major?"

(Curious since you say you don't know what you want to do after school)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 17:31   #3

Welcome aboard sluissa

Sounds like Sean has something in common with ya there?

Yeah, the lifestyle for a college student can be rather drab. But I know those "Spring Break," parties are the icebreakers for all those months of cramming for exams and such.

I have been there and done that. But, I did it at a later age in life. Cause I was serving in the US Navy during that time of my life. But I had loads of fun!!

You'll find in this forum, alot of seasoned sailors in here. And should you ever have any questions, that you need answers for. You'll more likely find it in here.

I wish you luck in your pursuit of knowledge in here. And your pursuit of getting "whatever," major you're shooting for.

Good Luck!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 18:23   #4

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once I'm ready to get a boat.

As far as my major is concerned, I have absolutely no idea, currently I'm taking the basic stuff everyone has to take, but I don't know what I'll choose to major in. I really don't want to be in college at all, but my parents pushed me all through high school to get good grades to get the florida state Bright Futures scholarship, and I did, so I basically have a free ride. A free ride I don't really wanna go anywhere with.

I'm comfortable with computers, so I'm sorta kinda leaning towards a computer science major... but it seems like everyone has that and everyone I talk to says it's nearly impossible to find a CS job out there now, add in my aversion to math in any form more advanced than division, and that's kinda ruled out.

I'd go with history or archaeology, except those fields really limit the kinds of jobs they deal with to continuing to work for a college or school, plus right now they're kinda a hobby to me, I wouldn't want to turn them into a job, same with computers.

Other than those two though, I'm not sure if there's anything I could stand 3-4 years studying, much less the rest of my life working with.

So, yeah, I'd much rather be out there sailing, at least you have the wind telling you a general direction to go in, but still not forcing you to go there.

PS: Parties really aren't my kinda thing, I mean, I might go to one if I'm invited, but I've never been invited and don't plan on seeking any out. I'd much rather be alone, or possibly with a few close friends than with a bunch of people I hardly, or don't even know.
Old 09-03-2006, 20:22   #5

sluissa once whispered in the wind
Quote:
Parties really aren't my kinda thing, I mean, I might go to one if I'm invited, but I've never been invited and don't plan on seeking any out. I'd much rather be alone, or possibly with a few close friends than with a bunch of people I hardly, or don't even know.
This is where me and you are in the same boat.

Especially nowdays I hate being around too many people. I rather be around people that I could more or less relate with. Been in too many drunken brawls and other things!! Just not worth the hassle.

So I understand where you're generally coming from?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-03-2006, 20:40   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Welcome aboard Sluissa

Since your into boating and school, have you considered Marine Engineer or Marine biology or anything Marine. Anything to keep you close to the water. If I had it to do all over again I'd .........................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 21:01   #7

Not a bad idea!!

I might try to head into that avenue myself. Research into those fields?

Hmmmmmmm..............?

Old 09-03-2006, 21:23   #8

I'm not much into marine biology, I'd rather eat the fish than study them.

I havn't thought about marine engineering though, still, not sure how big that field is either, I know several engineers who don't have jobs either because they're all being outsourced to other countries.(like computer jobs)

Truthfully, I don't know if I could handle an engineering degree, I'm not totally sure what it entails, but I hear alot about needing math, again, not one of my strong suits... well, to tell the truth, no subject is my strong suit. I just have several that I can barely get by with unless I work harder at it than I would want to for any long period of time.

It's weird, up until the last couple of years of high school, I was doing great. Then something just felt like it snapped, and I didn't want or care or even felt able to do my best in class anymore, and I don't think I ever got over that.

Anyway, I'd just rather be outside learning something practical to do with my hands than inside, writing a paper for a teacher to read, on a subject they already know about just to have them tell me I'm a bad student because I put a comma in the wrong place and the class isn't even english.

Anyway, rant over.

As far as other marine fields, I just don't know, again, there is a pretty good marine archaeology program at my college, but I'm not sure if I'd want to be thethered to a school in order to have a job, unless i"ve got the wrong preconception about that kinda field. feel free to correct me since I"m not at all sure what it's composed of since my experience of it is limited to a few discovery channel specials.
Old 09-03-2006, 22:14   #9

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Welcome aborad!!

Good luck with your choices. I teach at an engineering profiled school, and I have lots of contacts with new engineers about to go into the workforce. Ideally speaking, you are in an excellent position. Don't be afraid of being hazy about the future. It is hazy anyways. You can't really forcast what will be needed in 5 years. The real value of a 4 year college degree (other than being a business card into anything else in terms of studying or even unrelated employment), is that you are willing to be transformed, and to be learning about life, the universe and everything... And about you. Even if it seems tedious. I know I never thought I would finish a 4 year degree, and eventually I ended up with 2 other degrees as well.

Lots of students I come accross have made up their mind, butsometimes family driven -- i.e. engineering because it is in the family. I had a student who graduated several years ago in bio chemistry, and never wanted to have anything to do with it, ever again. She said she just finished it because it was to late to start another degree and finish in 4 years, but the immediate plans were to become an air hostes, and so travel the world for a while for work, plus get airline passes on top of that.

So you get all types.

I would definitely finish something, and don't make it about you versus parents' wishes. A basic BA or BS is a minimum nowadays to go into anything that pays decent. However the university has become a place to figure out employment skills, rather than transform you for the sake of transformation, and that is a sad development. In the past, trade schools did that, and universities were more about learning for the sake of learning.

In terms of your immediate interests -- marine biology isn's solely studying fish (although most sciences of the type involve tremendous bean counting). The biggest field of the future in my opinion will be the study of water ecosystems and their transformation, due to polar ice caps melting. Also weather will become big I think. But don't just yet discount marine biology... some of my friends who are marine biologists spend up to 6 months a year at sea on research vessels picking up plankton samples in deep ocean.

Physics will also get you into sailmaking. One of my friends quit his physycs professorship to start a high tech sailmaking company, and he does A-sails for Cayard and co. So there are skills you can apply. You can also go the practical engineering route (mechanical or electrical) and then try to get a job for a marine manufacturer (rayethon, garmin, etc)

Geography will also be big, with gps etc. So if you're into sailing, you must be into maps.

Good luck, and most importantly go sailing now... and see what you end up thinking about.
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 22:34   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Lightbulb And to add one more point

Boat hull and sail design are done on computer CAD programs now.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 23:03   #11

Maybe you could get into small-craft design. Here's some schools that might be of interest to you. And it's done on computers and paper!!

http://www.westlawn.edu/

http://www.landingschool.org/

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/school.htm

Or if you ever thought of dis-assembling inboard or outboard marine engines. Here's a school for that. And these fields pay very well.

http://www.uticorp.com/go/schools/mami/

Uticorp, has schools in alot of locations besides Miami, Florida!!

Two forum members that I could mention right-off-top of my head are Never Monday & Windthief. They are both marine engine repairmen. And they are professionals!!

I'm sure if you send either of them a "Private Message." And ask them certain questions pertaining to their field. I'm sure they would take the time to describe their field of expertise?

And it's all near the ocean. You can't beat that?

Old 09-03-2006, 23:25   #12

I've studied a bit of marine biology, I know it's not all fish. I just can't seem to care that much about the environment, I mean I'm not saying that I'm gonna go pollute everything, I'm generally careful about recycling and stuff(the only one in my family.)

I just can't seem to focus on something that doesn't directly effect me. It sounds selfish, but I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. I can't find a good example except to say something like, If there was someone in front of me that needed help, I would try to help them to the best of my abilities. But I have a hard time caring about something that's going on half way around the world from me. It's the same with time. If there's something happening now, right in front of me, I'll try to help it, but I can't make myself care about what's gonna happen in 50 years, or even 25, or even 10. Heck, I even have problems planning out my week, although days I can usually do. I take things as they come at me, as I need to do them.

No matter how this makes me sound, I just want to make it clear that I really am a nice guy if you ever met me.

I don't know how I end up typing so much... sorry about that...

Anyway, engineering just doesn't seem to be any more than a possible hobby to me, I'm not ruling it out entirely, but I'd have to do alot more research into it. Marine Biology, well, I hated biology in school, if I took any kind of science major It would have to be either chemistry or physics, but physics deals with more math than I'm comfortable with, and I knew a chemistry major which kinda warned me away from it, so I'm not sure.

I dislike writing long scholarly papers of any type, although that's a neccessary evil in college, I'd prefer to stay away from the majors that focus on that kind of thing.

Like I said, I really don't want to be here, I dislike college and I'd rather go out to a vocational school or something.

If I could take a year or so off from college to see what things would be like if I didn't get a degree, I'd probably find that it's in my best intrest to get one like everyone says, but the limitations on my scheduling as a result of the scholarship don't allow me to do that, so I don't really know if I'm putting myself through all this for nothing or if it'll pay off

again, sorry for the long posts. It's 1:30 am, I can't sleep and I've got nothing better to do than to rattle on to anyone i can find to listen to me. so feel free to tell me to shut up anytime, hehe

PS: CaptainK, thanks for the links, I'll look at them. Especially the engine repair one, I've always liked fiddling around with things like that, lawnmower engines and the such, but it's another one of those great as a hobby, but I dunno if I'd wanna do it as a job and make it not fun anymore type of things.
Old 10-03-2006, 00:39   #13

That last link is a vocational school.

http://www.uticorp.com/go/schools/mami/

They have 9 campus's across the US. From California to Florida. So you really can't miss it!!

They have great programs. And it's not boring math stuff either. It's basically commonsense stuff. Getting to know a sparkplug from a oil filter. Basically just like that.

They'll teach you about cylinder bores. that's the hole inwhich the piston moves up & down inside at. They'll teach you how to measure the diameter. And check it to see if it's to factory specs and such. Really easy stuff.

They make it sound easy. Cause it really is. You'll be surpised how it is. I went to automotive/diesel school. And I'll tell you one thing. It's not really rocket science!!

I can really relate with you about hating school. When I was you age. I hated school with a passion. And I avoided school at all cost.

It took 15 years later til I finally made myself to go back to school. And I suceeded at every step in that school. Made the Dean's List. Made Honor Roll. You name it. Everything except Valadictorian!! But I made it.

I went to a school in Glendale, Arizona. Called AAI, Arizona Automotive Institute. And they had people from all over the country. Even overseas coming to this school. And it was great!!

Well. I'm sure you'll think of something. I know you're tired of school. Hell, you've spent the last 13 or more years in school. I don't blame you at all!!

Well, good luck!!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:06   #14

thanks

That sounds like it would be a great experience to go through something like that, just wish my scholarship covered that. But no, only colleges and universities and only in the state of florida.

Oh well, thanks for all your suggestions. I'll just stick it out somehow where I am now, then after college I'll see about going to a vocational school of some sort. But for now, I'll just keep taking it one day at a time.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:50   #15

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
As an egghead I have to make my pitch for the CS degree track.. Projected shortages of IT workers over the next several years almost guarantee employment for those who want to work in the field.

Don't like all the math? - then go the CIS track and learn one or more programming languages / database / networking. I got through my CIS curricula and an MBA Info Systems with some basic math for business courses, never any calculus.

I've specialized in network engineering & management now, and network / info security is a HUGE growth field. Better yet, companies are reluctant to outsource their security operations, and I have several acquaintances who travel abroad to verify security at the centers where the company's other operations have been outsourced.

Best yet, I work from home via the internet each day - wherever home may be. Have broadband connection, will travel

CS / CIS offers a chance to work remotely once you are established. Since it's also an interest of yours maybe it makes sense to pursue it. Working from the cockpit has its advantages.

Otherwise, go the trade school route and get skills that you can sell to other sailors / boatyards. Don't know of many diesel mechanics begging on street corners... but I could be wrong.

Best of luck to ya!