Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 05:24   #16

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Woman's Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
To me its an idea from the "past"..women are engaged in every type of activity these days and don't need anything special for them.
I completely disagree that women can't benefit from their own forum. Yes, we are engaged in every activity, but we have our own take on things and think about things differently than men. One of the reasons the WWS was begun was because of a question asked here where the poster was ridiculed by men. The WWS FB page has over 4000 members. Many of them, myself included, belong to other sailing forums, but benefit greatly from having a place where I can post any question I want and not have to worry is someone is going to make fun of it.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 05:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Every time I read it, it seemed fine. Certainly bantering goes on during other threads.
Sometimes what men consider to be bantering, women think of as criticism, and we don't like it.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 05:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Oh, the rumours that fly around .

The "Woman's Forum" had far more men contributing than women anyway, so the name was meaningless .
That was exactly the problem.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 06:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
I've sent several join requests to "Women who sail" and have never received a response. It's been a bit frustrating.
In order to join you have to have your own Facebook account. Do you?

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 06:20   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Isn't a "women's only forum" technically discrimination?
Old 27-08-2014, 07:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Isn't a "women's only forum" technically discrimination?
Glad you asked. Legally, no. An entity is discriminatory when it exists to inhibit the advancement of certain other groups based on race, religion, origin or gender. Examples are country clubs where important business is discussed which is closed to certain groups based on the above criteria.

A group of women getting together to discuss issues which in the past have incurred the ridicule of men in order to avoid that unpleasantness, is not discriminatory. It can actually be seen as a save haven.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 07:31   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
God forbid there be a men's forum, that would be sexist!
If a man is alone out at sea, is he still wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
Sometimes what men consider to be bantering, women think of as criticism, and we don't like it.

Maje
I doubt you speak for your entire sex on this forum. Quite a number of women do just fine here and I would imagine receive equal respect because they do not expect preferential treatment.
I remember one discussion on the topic here. It was stated that if a member's handle did not indicate a persons sex, that know one would know. It was also stated that was the exact reason to do it, as not to be treated any differently.
I'm sure with the amount of members on CF, there are a few odd-ball males with women issues. But it's not like I never see it in society from either sex. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't see a lot of difference between men and a women, other than the obvious.
I think where things go sideways is one one sex or the other feels they have the right of entitlement.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 07:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If a man is alone out at sea, is he still wrong?

I doubt you speak for your entire sex on this forum. Quite a number of women do just fine here and I would imagine receive equal respect because they do not expect preferential treatment.
I remember one discussion on the topic here. It was stated that if a member's handle did not indicate a persons sex, that know one would know. It was also stated that was the exact reason to do it, as not to be treated any differently.
I'm sure with the amount of members on CF, there are a few odd-ball males with women issues. But it's not like I never see it in society from either sex. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't see a lot of difference between men and a women, other than the obvious.
I think where things go sideways is one one sex or the other feels they have the right of entitlement.
Touchy. Actually the question that started the firestorm had nothing to do with men. It was a question about where to put jewelry on a boat. However, although it had little to nothing to do with men, several of them chose to jump in a denigrate the question and the person who posted it.

I do just fine when I'm asking about stuff men are interested in, but the minute one strays into things mostly women care about inappropriate comments inevitable made.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 07:42   #24

Quote:
Glad you asked. Legally, no. An entity is discriminatory when it exists to inhibit the advancement of certain other groups based on race, religion, origin or gender. Examples are country clubs where important business is discussed which is closed to certain groups based on the above criteria.

Maje
Legally in what country?

So what would the difference be between saying no men allowed or saying no (insert any specific race here) allowed? Both are specifically excluding a certain group of people in a public setting based on a physical characteristic.
Old 27-08-2014, 07:52   #25

Quote:
Legally in what country?

So what would the difference be between saying no men allowed or saying no (insert any specific race here) allowed? Both are specifically excluding a certain group of people in a public setting based on a physical characteristic.
In the US. Which has the most comprehensive set of discrimination laws in the world.

Don't mix apples and oranges. Discrimination laws refer to the work place or other places, such as the aforementioned country club, that impact a persons rights to make a living, buy housing etc.

There are many social forums that are limited mostly by gender which have nothing to do with earning a living. Famous ones are men's groups run by black communities that address the needs of black men, which are many times different than the needs of black women or white men etc.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 08:12   #26

Quote:
In the US. Which has the most comprehensive set of discrimination laws in the world.

Don't mix apples and oranges. Discrimination laws refer to the work place or other places, such as the aforementioned country club, that impact a persons rights to make a living, buy housing etc.

There are many social forums that are limited mostly by gender which have nothing to do with earning a living. Famous ones are men's groups run by black communities that address the needs of black men, which are many times different than the needs of black women or white men etc.

Maje
Let me first state that I really don't care one way or another if there is a women's only thread or any other "only" thread that you want.

The reason I am playing devil's advocate (besides being bored) is it just all seems a touch hypocritical being that if anyone were to start a male only anything it tends to get a lot of friction for being biased, sexist, or whatever. It's really just one of those things that makes me go hmmmmm.....that seems weird.

Also I didn't mean that an all women's thread would be illegal anywhere just that it seems discriminatory to exclude someone on a physical characteristic.

Really not trying to start any sort of heated debate. Just more thinking out loud.
Old 27-08-2014, 08:21   #27

Quote:
Let me first state that I really don't care one way or another if there is a women's only thread or any other "only" thread that you want.

The reason I am playing devil's advocate (besides being bored) is it just all seems a touch hypocritical being that if anyone were to start a male only anything it tends to get a lot of friction for being biased, sexist, or whatever. It's really just one of those things that makes me go hmmmmm.....that seems weird.

Also I didn't mean that an all women's thread would be illegal anywhere just that it seems discriminatory to exclude someone on a physical characteristic.

Really not trying to start any sort of heated debate. Just more thinking out loud.
I understand what you're saying, but it ignores the fact that men run most of the forums. The reason probably is that there are just more of them, maybe. However, it is telling to me that over 4000 woman have chosen to join WWS because they don't like what they perceive as attacks on other forum for asking questions that some deem stupid. I'm not saying all men do this, but it happened enough on this forum that the FB group was created and is wildly successful. As I think I said before, WWS began as a safe place for women to ask questions that were ridiculed by men. That to me is the important part. If I were bored and pondering questions, I'd ponder that one. However, being female, I have now clue why men feel the need to make certain remarks.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 08:36   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Touchy. Actually the question that started the firestorm had nothing to do with men. It was a question about where to put jewelry on a boat. However, although it had little to nothing to do with men, several of them chose to jump in a denigrate the question and the person who posted it.

I do just fine when I'm asking about stuff men are interested in, but the minute one strays into things mostly women care about inappropriate comments inevitable made.

Maje
Touchy?...I find that statement condescending.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:40   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think many of us are bored and don't have anything else better to do
Personally anything that is "men only" has me wondering anymore
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:48   #30

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but it ignores the fact that men run most of the forums. The reason probably is that there are just more of them, maybe. However, it is telling to me that over 4000 woman have chosen to join WWS because they don't like what they perceive as attacks on other forum for asking questions that some deem stupid. I'm not saying all men do this, but it happened enough on this forum that the FB group was created and is wildly successful. As I think I said before, WWS began as a safe place for women to ask questions that were ridiculed by men. That to me is the important part. If I were bored and pondering questions, I'd ponder that one. However, being female, I have now clue why men feel the need to make certain remarks.

Maje
It still doesn't answer the question How is it not discriminatory?

I also get what you are saying about not wanting to be "attacked" however lots of men on here have been attacked by men and women for making certain comments including myself. It's part of life. If you post a comment on a public forum you have to be ready for a public response.

What happens if I don't want to have to worry about being attacked for asking what I am afraid may come off as a dumb question? Where do I go? I can't go to the women's forum. Do I start a nice men only forum?

If someone that responds to your question is an ass, call them out on it, tell them they aren't helpful and move on.

Tags
rum