Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2007, 23:22   #1

Boat: MonkCraft 18' Skin on Frame kayak - "Pigtail"
Will crew for food :-)

Hello there,

I'm interested in crewing on larger sailboats pretty much anywhere in the world. (Especially wood boats.) I grew up on the water sailing with my father on board his 20' Santana, first inland, and then offshore on the West coast, off Coos Bay and Newport. As a 20 something, I lived on the the water on my houseboat with my 26' 1963 wooden Thunderbird racer, 1959 Clipper Craft 22' cabin cruiser, also wood, and 14' Laser all moored out back. After a few years, all of them got traded in for a 36' old Chris cabin cruiser that could pull skis, that I lived aboard.

After a number of years, I sold my Chris Craft and I took a break from boats and everything else, and became a Buddhist monk and did long forest retreats for a number of years. (Internal restoration and cruising you could say.) Now I'm back in the world and am building Greenland skin-on-frame sea kayaks for a living (see Skin On Frame Kayak, Greenland Kayak - Monkcraft Kayaks-Home) I am also committed to following up on my aspirations of cruising. Theses days, living simply, I don't want the hassles and problems of owning my own big boat. Done been there alreay. A small fleet of kayaks and a 12' Penguin is enough for my local sailing/cruising needs. But they don't get you far on big water.

I am college educated in drafting and computers, worked professionally in manufacturing engineering and have that wonderful mechanical gene. It's a gene I dearly love; I can fix things, understand how things work, how to fix them and have fun doing it. Mechanical stuff talks to me. I can paint, varnish, build and do pretty much anything else I put my mind to. If I don't know how to do something, I teach myself how, like I taught myself how to build kayaks.

I build Greenland skin on frame kayaks for a living for people all over the world (unfortunately they are not great for long distance offshore cruising. Your butt gets mighty sore in there!) I also teach kayak building classes all over the world as well. In short, I can be useful.

As to the 'life's short' part of my title, indeed life is short. I want to fulfill all my dreams before I am to old and sick. I want to die with NO REGRETS! I'm only 35. But you never know when the opportunity to do certain things will leave you. I have the freedom, opportunity and health to get away and do these things now, so why wait. I've always wanted to cruise. Now is the time of my life to do it.

Lets get in touch. I would love to crew for you!

Lodru
thatmonk@gmail.com
503-875-7460

link to my picture:
http://monkcraftkayak.com/images/IMG_1996.JPG

link to me and Pigtail at sea:
http://monkcraftkayak.com/images/IMG_2018.JPG
Lodru is offline   Reply With Quote