Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33   #1

Where should I ask this Question ?

Hello,

Brand new here and my first post.

We just retired and are ready for our first boat. We want to relocate to an area that offers a variety of boating opportunities.

Which forum would be best to pose this question ?

Thanks
bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Where should I ask this Question ?

Welcome to the Forum.

Not sure but this may be as good a place as any. Do you have some particular country or part of the world in mind for your relocation?

Do you want to go warm and tropical or prefer a change of seasons?

Cheap or don't care as long as you like the area?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

your location would be helpful. But in general, move close to a harbor, with a beach nearby.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bustoff.

This was a good place to pose your questions, as would be "Destinations"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f15/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The world is full of many greating boating areas. To start the conversation, I will assume you are looking at the USA, which could be wrong. If you are East Coast, you can't go wrong looking in the Chesapeake. Tons of boating opportunities, with an interesting anchorage or harbor around every corner. There is a winter, so if you want year-round boating, probably Florida is best. From there you can head to the Bahamas and the Caribbean when you get more adventurous.

But, a lot of it has to do with what types of places you like to live. Maine is a fantastic place to cruise during the two weeks (just kidding) of summer.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17   #6

Okay Thanks ! I'll begin here.
We just retired and have always wanted a boat. We live in Missouri where the summers are unbearable and the winters are too cold.
If we could afford it, the dream retirement would be to live and boat in San Diego, but the cost of housing and boating in San Diego far exceeds our budget. We thought Florida would be affordable and offer great water access but are concerned the summers would be worse than Missouri. We have visited the Hilton Head area and discovered the cost of boating is really high there. So we are kinda stuck and don't know what to do.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! We started in the Chesapeake Bay -- it's relatively forgiving being mostly mud/silt and with protective anchorages just about everywhere. It has a long season: Apr.-Nov. (although the few times it hits 90º+ in the summer with no wind, you probably don't want to be out there). It's expansive...it would take years of solid cruising to cover it, plus it's adjacent to the outer/inner banks of North Carolina for a change of pace, plus the ICW and offshore the DelMarVa. It's also convenient to a few metro areas if, heaven forbid, you need to work a normal job.

Hope you find the place that suits you...there are lots of great cruising "home ports" out there.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

By a nice little cruising boat, and hang out in the bahamas during the winter, and new england in the summers... Problem solved!

What kind of boat are you guys thinking about?
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
Okay Thanks ! I'll begin here.
We just retired and have always wanted a boat. We live in Missouri where the summers are unbearable and the winters are too cold.
If we could afford it, the dream retirement would be to live and boat in San Diego, but the cost of housing and boating in San Diego far exceeds our budget. We thought Florida would be affordable and offer great water access but are concerned the summers would be worse than Missouri. We have visited the Hilton Head area and discovered the cost of boating is really high there. So we are kinda stuck and don't know what to do.
I'm a northerner (think Montana, go north 400 miles), so my concern of Florida was also there. I spent some time here last August, and am here till June this year.

Although I have been warned about the humidity, so far my experience is that with air conditioning it is tolerable.

Why don't you spend a month in July, August or September in Florida (Tampa is a great sailing spot and lots of inventory available)? See how you feel about it.

There are some incredible deals on condos available; I bought one for much, much less then I thought possible a few months ago. Your dollar for a home and a sailboat will go a long way here.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08   #10

We would like a boat that is big enough to sleep and eat aboard, but not too big to handle for first-timers.
I was guessing something around 30' might work.

avb3-sounds great but I don't know how to sail.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Why don't you spend a month in July, August or September in Florida (Tampa is a great sailing spot and lots of inventory available)? See how you feel about it. ...
I concur. I moved to Florida in 1991 and never looked back. If golf and sailing are in your future, I would certainly argue that Florida is the place to be. Yet would disagree with avb3 in that it's in the east Coast of Florida that you'll find is the gateway to Caribbean adventure. No one should have to endure a Florida summer without A/C, so buy a boat and sail her north to avoid hurricane season in July and south again in November to explore what is truly a beautiful sailing area. Of course if there's Pirate blood in you, there's always sailing through a hurricane to spice up your life.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Though I am originally from Missouri I have lived aboard for the past 42 years. Since retirement I've been cruising seasonally from Maine to the Bahamas with long stays at many points between. We have used the St. Johns River just south of Jacksonville as our home port,- well protected from hurricanes, anytime day sailing without breaking an inlet, easy access for distant cruising, many marinas that offer liveaboard oppurtunities at reasonable rates, and a very good boating community. We also like Biscayne Bay, Indian River, Stuart, and many areas of the Chesapeake. I'm a "pansy" though when it comes to cold weather and I don't do well north of Florida in the winter!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
We would like a boat that is big enough to sleep and eat aboard, but not too big to handle for first-timers.
I was guessing something around 30' might work.

avb3-sounds great but I don't know how to sail.
I can recommend a couple of sailing schools by PM if your interested.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Another area you might want to look at is around Oriental, North Carolina. There is a large sailing community there, some of the most reasonable dockage on the East Coast, a relatively mild winter, and the overall cost of living is low. The Chesapeake is just to the north if you should tire of local waters, and you are right on the Intracoastal Waterway if you wish to head south. Summers are hot, but there tends to be a sea breeze on the Outer Banks if you go out there. They do get hurricanes, but there are lots of creeks to move your boat into. Friendly people.

This website is a good place to start learning more about the area.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Jacksonville has not had a direct hurricane hit in recorded history - I have heard.

Of course this year...............................