Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 13:00   #16

Re: Where should I ask this Question ?

I'd start in Florida, head north if too hot! That's the advantage of being on a boat! If in a marina you need an ac unit (hatch is fine). If at anchor you may get by with good hatchs for ventialtion....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 13:24   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Depending on where you are, Florida can be a lot better in the summer than some other places further north. IMHO South Carolina is hotter, and the gnats can drive you crazy when they are out. The east coast of Florida and the Keys can get some nice sea breezes. On the other hand, you might get snow in North Carolina in the winter, while most of Florida is pretty much immune from that.
Old 03-05-2013, 13:30   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Jacksonville has not had a direct hurricane hit in recorded history - I have heard.

Of course this year...............................
Although hurricanes Frances & Jean were mariginal hurricanes when they arrived in Jacksonville during 2004 some might consider that they qualify. Certainly hurricane Dora of 1964 qualifies as a strike upon Jacksonville. None the less, the characteristic that favors Jacksonville is not some immunity, but the areas of protected inland waters that provide shelter opportunities.
Old 03-05-2013, 13:45   #19

Boat: C&C 38'

Hi and welcome to a great forum. We have cruised from the tip of Texas to the tip of Florida.
Texas, also known as the third coast, has some nice places to sail. also you will find that the summer temperatures anchored out on the water are much cooler than the land nearby. In South Texas we rarely see freezing temperatures in the winter.
We enjoyed Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Panama City Beach, Tampa Bay, Marco Island and our favorite -- The Dry Tortugas.
Texas is somewhat cheaper to stay in very nice marinas and has all sorts of boat related businesses and services. Come on down and enjoy it! We have been live aboards for 4 years and it is a great life.
Old 03-05-2013, 15:48   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
................We enjoyed Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Panama City Beach, Tampa Bay, Marco Island and our favorite -- The Dry Tortugas.
Texas is somewhat cheaper to stay in very nice marinas and has all sorts of boat related businesses and services. Come on down and enjoy it! We have been live aboards for 4 years and it is a great life.
My hope is that the Cowboy Sailor will forgive me for pointing out that the majority of the cruising destinations that he enjoys are in Florida and only one of seven in Texas. I can't speak in any way against the Texas Coast as I have never been there.
Old 03-05-2013, 19:54   #21
cruiser

How about living on a boat in San Diego or Long Beach, CA? We did it for two years and had a great time. It wasn't as expensive as you'd expect. Great weather year round.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 20:33   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where should I ask this Question ?

If I were you... I'd forget the W Coast and follow an earlier suggestion... go to Oriental... hell buy your boat there there's some nice boats going at decent prices...
Fall poodle down S with the sun... Spring poodle back N..
Most properties are built on the water and private docks were going for $100/mth when I was there with elec and water..
Take a gander at the local E Page... www.towndock.net
Good luck..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 22:45   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here asking those kind of questions. Made me think about where I would go if I ever had to leave Hawaii. The State hates boaters here so I would not recommend it for an ideal for a person wanting to do a lot of boating. However, the weather is perfect where I live. Never gets too humid, never gets below the mid 50s and never gets above the mid 80s. It is a bit wet though with 100+ inches of rain a year. There are drier and warmer spots on the island.
kind regards,